Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Im exporting a large file out of FCP 6. It takes hours and

Customer Question

I'm exporting a large file out of FCP 6. It takes hours and hours and then results in an 'ERROR : OUT OF DISK SPACE'.

I have tonnes of disk space and have tried it exporting to a large external hard drive as well - but no luck. I have a screener tomorrow for this pilot and I don't know what to do!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
How much space is avialable on your scratch disk?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So my editor exported my finished file for me. He sent it to me in USA. I then needed to add some titles to it, so I imported it into FCP 6 and added my titles and tried to export it. I tried as PRORES 444 and also as H.264 but neither worked.

My scratch disk says . . .

45.5GB on Macintosh HD

and Minimum Allowable Free Space on Scratch Disks : 2047 MB

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello?

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
How large is the file? If you use most of your disk space for captured clips, you may run out of space when rendering. I would try using an external drive or clear out some of that space.