Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

have an excel file that wont open (office for mac 2011). No

have an excel file that wont open (office for mac 2011). No error report, just won't open. progress bar appears when "opening" but finishes with no visible file. Any ideas?
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today!

Im assuming that your mac, and the other machines your using, have no issues opening the excel file?

If thats correct.. Lets try something different.. Do you have a gmail account ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Both macbooks are able to open other excel files, just not this one ! I can only guess may be corrupt. File size is about correct at 3.2mb. I have a gmail account.

My apologies in the delay in relying.. My internet decided to take a rest break in the middle of the reply I was typing to you a few minutes ago.

What I would like to try, is for you to sign into your gmail account using Safari..

Then, go to this link

Once at your google drive page.. Click the upload button, and upload the non working excel file..

Once uploaded, try to use the google drive page, and try to preview or view the file.

Can you open or view the excel file using google drive?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can see the preview (of some 371 pages). I have horribly slow internet so I can't scroll very fast. gets stuck along the way. (I mistakenly hit the download button and a copy came to my download folder. This wouldn't open in excel. - not sure if I have jumped the gun here)

Thanks Mark.. if you could preview it, then we know the file isnt irreparably damaged.. What we may need to do is open the file in either a windows version of excel.

Or use a program like open office, open the file, and then resave the file or copy and paste its contents to another file and then save it..

If you dont have access to a windows pc with excel , you could send the file to me and I can resave it for you and then send it back.

Or, you could try downloading and installing the free open office program, and then opening the file and saving it from there..

The good news is, we know the files data is still intact since google drive could read it, so now its just a matter of opening the file with an alternate program as mentioned above, and then resaving it.. And then you should be able to view it again on your mac.

If you have any further questions or run into any issues, let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent below when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have no windows machines, nor open office (and I have a disfunctional internet following a massive thunderstorm yesterday). I would prefer to send the file to you to "work the magic".

Thats fine with me.. You can either share it from google drive ( since you already uploaded it )

Or upload the file to , and then send t he download link here as a reply so I can download it.

Heres how to share the file from google drive

For the sharing type, you want to choose " anyone with a link" and then send the link to me..

Thanks Mark,

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Mark.. Please give me about 20 minutes to try and open the file , and then save it and then send a rely.. And I should have a link for you to a file that will open on your mac..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Given that its 1am in my house, I may or may not be awake in 30 minutes. How do i get back on this thread if you go missing? (I'm new to justanswer)

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you Mark.. I was able to open the spreadsheet without issues using Gnumeric ( a free a simple spreadsheet program)

You can download Gnumeric from here, and then copy over the data you need.. Gnumeric is just a bit down the page.. That being said, I havent been able to save it successfully with gnumeric, it keeps encountering an error.. ( hence why I mentioned moving the data over )

You mentioned you had to go to sleep in a bit as its late your time.. It may be best if you contact me again in the morning, when ive had time to try and open and save the file with a few other programs..

To get back to me, you would go back to, and login to your account, and then click my questions at the top right of the screen.

Then click on the title of this question , and you should be able to reply at the bottom of the question page..

I suppose I will be hearing from you tommorow, and in the meantime I will work on opening and trying to save the program for you..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Dustin. I will have to log in tomorrow. I can't download much with my internet situation... I'm holding thumbs that you can get this to work properly. (please feel free to rename the file, not sure how it got to the name it has now !) Later ...

Ok Mark..

I dont expect you to be online now, so hopefully this will be a solid way to start your day tommorow..

Here is the link to download the file I was able to open and then resave. document.xls

I named it test document.. I was able to see all four or five sheets in the workbook, with all the data.. I cant tell if any data is missing however, because I dont know what the original document would have looked like before it was corrupted..

if you have any further questions or issues, please let me know.

Dustin S.