Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  20+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
23511658

i have outlook 2010 on my windows machine. I just got iphone

Customer Question

i have outlook 2010 on my windows machine. I just got iphone 5s. I can sync iphone with my outlook, but the attendees on the desktop calendar dont sync and iphone doesnt allow me to invite attendees. Apple support told me to install icloud on my desktop which i did, but that still doesnt sync attendees and it added 2 calendars to my outlook
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 9 months ago.
Hello. My name is Michael. I can help you with your question. This is somewhat absurd, but the sync functionality is extremely unreliable.

You can use icloud to sync some things in your calendar, but this is much easier to accomplish with a third party prouct like CompanionLink. You can find that here:
http://bitli.es/fjuvWl

You can use icloud, but there are manual steps that have to be taken with each item when it is added in order to make it show up in both places.

As far as the number of calendars, you have to leave those there, but you can keep one as your default calendar and hide the rest. Let me know if you have additional questions.

SQ11
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

thanks mike. couiple questions

1. even after i set up icloud the attendees still were not carrying over. WIll companionlink sync them?

2. I cant invite attendees from my iphone. Do i need to turn on icloud to do this? And does that then create a separate calender from my outlook calendar for events i create on iphone?

3. Is companion link a desktop product or does it store my data in the cloud? Do sync wirelessly or thru the cord?

4. should i use companion link for all my outlook data syncing? ie. tasks, calendar, contacts, notes? So i dont need itunes to sync?

You're good at this! That's actually 8 questions, numbered 1 through 4. LOL... I'll have to be on top of my game with you.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Yes, the attendees will sync with the companion link software. What I would suggest doing for synchronization, since you are primarily using Outlook and Outlook features, is to consider using companion link with the office 365 cloud. Companion link is very flexible however, in that it will sync with most cloud storge. As long as you are using cloud storage, you should not have to use a cable to sync. The companion link software runs on both your computer and on your phone. Their support for iOS is fairly recent, and not quite as mature as their other products and I am only saying that to be candid with you. I don't know of any problems with iOS and companion link, and I have set them up without a problem, but I haven't used the two together on a daily basis as I have with Outlook and Android.

And as far as using iTunes that is correct you will not have to use iTunes to sync companion link will reside in your desktop and on your phone it will take care of all the syncing for you.

I think that addresses your questions. If I've missed something just let me know.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

thanks mike.

Suppose i want to stick with desktop outlook - can i use companion link for this? So install companion link on my desktop and phone and sync with cord? does anything get stored in cloud? im assuming not because i dont think companion link has a cloud.

Re: office cloud 365, at some point i need to move to a cloud solution. I've been an outlook user for 15 years probably and have gigabytes of archived files. As a matter for fact, the reason i dread getting a new computer is because transferring my outlook data is a pain (and quicken too:)). I wouldnt mind getting your insight on a cloud solution. But i realize its a new question. Can i pay more for this question or resubmit? I guess my questions would be if im going to the cloud, why go with office vs google. I assume i should if i want to continue to use MS office products. But then do i literally work from a web portal to access my outlook? Is anything stored locally? What if interent is down? And can/how do i transfer my current and archive data to office cloud

You can always ask me a follow-up question directly. Just click on my profile and ask the question there and put for Michael Hannigan in the subject and that will make sure that it gets to me even if I am not immediately online are available when you ask the question. You are correct that companion link does not have a cloud but it will work with iCloud (I believe, but I will double check to make sure). The only reason I have a question with iCloud is because it's more "proprietary" than most. You are correct about the office 365 cloud. That would require being on office 2013 which I didn't catch initially. You can always sync with the cable. In fact this is what companion link did originally and it is what excels at. I mean, it does do things that you simply can't get other software to do like syncing with the cloud but it has been a product that was based on syncing using the cable way back to the beginning of the PalmPilot days. With companion link and the cable, there is no doubt that you can do what you are trying to do. It is the iPhone and syncing with the cloud where things become a little bit more questionable because the support has not been there either from Apple nor from Microsoft to make this happen smoothly. Still, companion link will allow you to do it, but you may be best off waiting to rely on the cloud until you do make a move to the office cloud.

You are asking some excellent questions, that are almost exactly the same questions I had when Microsoft infuriated me by announcing they would force us all to the cloud. But the move to the office 365 cloud isn't as bad as one might expect.

I'm just following up with you to see how things are going. Is everything working OK? If you still need help, please don't hesitate to ask. If I have been helpful, I would sincerely appreciate a moment of your time to provide a positive rating on my answer. It's an important part of the process since since it determines whether we are compensated for helping. A favorable rating does not result in an additional charge, and it does not change our ability to communicate. If you've provided a positive rating by the time you receive this, THANK YOU!

If you have questions on anything in the future please fee free to request me - I'd love to work with you again if the need arises. You can request me specifically by going to my profile page and entering the question there.
http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-answers

You can also put my name in the question to make sure it gets routed to me. It's been a pleasure working with you.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

michael, i did some more research and it turns out if i were to use companion link i would have to install their dejaoffice application on my iphone. I didnt want to use a third party contact and calendar app, i rather just use the iphone calendar and contact program. I ended up using google calendar. I already have a gmail account and calendar which i rarely use. But i found an app called gSyncit which is an add-on to my outlook (and free if you sync calendar only which is what i want). It syncs my outlook calendar to my gmail calendar which syncs with my iphone. A bit convoluted, but in practice it's super simple and actually syncs everything accurately (if you recall, my initial problem was that icloud would not sync attendees with outlook and certain people could not accept my iphone calendar invites). ANyway, all seems to be working now.

Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 8 months ago.
Unless something has changed, you don't have to use the dejaoffice application - it's optional. You can sync through several different methods. If you ever need the info again, it is here: http://www.companionlink.com/support/kb/Setup_Guide_-_Sync_iPhone_and_iPad_via_Google

I was under the impression that you would need your contacts synced as well... but if it's working as you need, then I'm all for leaving it as it is! There are many options, but once you find one that works for your needs - you are good. If you have any questions at any point, feel free to return and ask.

I would apprecaite a moment of your time to provide a rating when you get a chance. Thank you!