jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ Comptia Certified computer repair
63323962

All my documents have been made with Apple Works on my 10.3

All my documents have been made with Apple Works on my 10.3 Mac operating system. I want to install Leopard 10.5 so that I can use a new printer. How can I back up or save the Apple Works software and documents before or during installation? If I copy all my files onto CD's, will the new operating system (Leopard) accept the transfer? Actallly, I am so afraid to lose all my documents because I am a teacher and they are all my tests and handouts for my classes. Do you know how I can get someone to do it for me?
Category: Mac
Expert:  jstinehelfer replied 10 months ago.

jstinehelfer :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I understand technology can be frustrating at times and hopefully together we can come up with a solution to your problem.

jstinehelfer :

Give me a moment to research this for you.

jstinehelfer :

Just so I make sure I understand your going from 10.3 to 10.5

jstinehelfer :

If you copy all your documents to a CD yes you can always move them back.

jstinehelfer :

The question is what version of Apple Works do you have and will that version run on the new 10.5

jstinehelfer :

Does this sound about right?

jstinehelfer :

Which version of Apple Works are you using now?

jstinehelfer :

Apple Works will work just fine on 10.5

Customer:

yes, to Leopard. I was told the installer wouldn't accept the old 10.3 because of it being 800 MHz instead of being the required 867 MHz. I got Leopard assistant. My main fear is installing the Leopard and losing my documents. I don't even know if the leopard will accept the Apple Works because when I bought a new apple, they said they couldn't transfer my old files to the new computer

jstinehelfer :

https://discussions.apple.com/message/5664917#5664917 <click link for proof that others have used it on 10.5

Customer:

Apple Works 6

jstinehelfer :

I am assuming when people went form version 8 or 9 which is now called classic to 10.1 then no none of those docs or files would work

jstinehelfer :

But if you had 10.1 and on up things changed a bit

Customer:

How do I copy my documents to a CD? How do I make sure I got the whole package of Apple Works on the CD?

jstinehelfer :

You only need to make sure you get your documents that you have created with Apple works

jstinehelfer :

Once you upgrade to 10.5 then you can download Apple Works 6 here

jstinehelfer :

Then install Apple Works back. Put your documents back and you should be good to go.

jstinehelfer :

Let me see if I can come up with some instructions on how to safely copy and personal information like documents, pictures etc before you do the upgrade

jstinehelfer :

Do you know where all your documents are stored?

Customer:

Yes, I forgot about all the pictures I have. They would take too much space of a CD. I was also told my the Mac store that they couldn't transfer my pictures from my old mac OS x 10.3 to the new computer, 10.8.5 2.3 GHz Intel core. I am not concerned about this newer computer, but I just want to update my older iMac so that I can attach a new printer which requires 10.5

Customer:

Once you stop helping me, will I still have the links that you have given me? I don't want to hit the link now because I may lose you

jstinehelfer :

I can see if your trying to jump all the way to 10.8 there being problems but going from 10.3 to 10.5 should not be a big problem

Customer:

Our documents a in folders on the desk top.

jstinehelfer :

are you on the computer you plan on doing the upgrade with? Or are you on a different computer

Customer:

I am on the new computer. I can't even do email on the old computer! Firefox and safari wanted me to upgrade last year but I couldn't because of my old version, so I am stuck will an ancient version of Internet Explorer 5.2 which isn't even allowing me to get email or send email. My computer is definitely obsolete.

jstinehelfer :

Have you ever copied things to a thumb drive before?

Customer:

no

jstinehelfer :

I would copy all my stuff to a thumb drive before doing the install.

Customer:

what is a thumb drive? Where do I buy one?

jstinehelfer :

There is a few names for it. Memory stick, thumb drive, USB drive

jstinehelfer :

you plug it in the USB port and you can save things to it.

Customer:

How can I get someone to come to my house and do all this?

jstinehelfer :

Through this website we do not have that service.

jstinehelfer :

If you are truly scared to do this I would suggest taking it to the Apple Store and let them do it.

jstinehelfer :

They can copy your personally files off to a external drive

jstinehelfer :

install your 10.5

jstinehelfer :

install Apple Works 6

jstinehelfer :

Copy your files and pictures, music back

jstinehelfer :

and your done

Customer:

We have a 16 G flash drive. Would that hold photos?

jstinehelfer :

Yes a flash drive is another name for it

jstinehelfer :

sorry I forgot that one

jstinehelfer :

It depends on the size of data you have on your computer but a 16gig is a good size

jstinehelfer :

you want to copy your pictures folder to your flash drive. That will take all pictures in that folder

jstinehelfer :

you want to copy the folder on your desktop that has the documents

jstinehelfer :

you want to copy the music folder as well.

jstinehelfer :

You can just drag and drop the folder if you know how to do this. I do have a video you can watch that will help you if you like

Customer:

Are you aware of leopard assist?

Customer:

You didn't tell me if this conversation will exist so that I can get the links after we conclude?

jstinehelfer :

yes you can save this question by bookmarking it. Our conversation is saved on the JA servers not your computer.

jstinehelfer :

No I have not used leopard assist

jstinehelfer :

I am looking at a video now of it.

jstinehelfer :

have you ever done an install before?

Customer:

Maybe a million years ago. I'm old. but maybe not since the operating systems were on the computer when I bought them.

jstinehelfer :

when you start up the install disk it gets you to a section where you can choose what kind of install

jstinehelfer :

you can Preserve User files and folders and it will leave those files alone

jstinehelfer :

But I would copy your files anyways to a flash drive just to be safe

Customer:

I read the directions and it said a clean install will erase everything. It said you could do a custom install, but it wasn't clear how that would be done. Yes. it mentioned preserve user files, but how do I designate those?

jstinehelfer :

Do you have the manual for this?

Customer:

I wish we have been able to have this conversation while I was actually doing the installation. I guess I jumped the gun by asking for help before I started. I downloaded the manual this morning on the new computer

Customer:

Custom Installations

This section tells you how to install Mac OS X if you want to: XXXXX XXXXX Mac OS X on your computer for the first time
 ArchiveyourcurrentMacOSXsystem
 EraseyourharddiskbeforeinstallingMacOSX

Install additional software available on the Mac OS X Install disc

jstinehelfer :

If you look in the manual though you will see where it says Upgrade Mac OSX

Customer:

“Archive and Install” moves your existing Mac OS X system files to a folder named Previous System, and then installs a new copy of Mac OS X on the selected volume. Mac OS X–installed applications, such as Address Book and Safari, are archived, and new versions are installed in the Applications folder.

Customer:

I am copying this from the instructions but I don't understand it.

jstinehelfer :

If you choose the Upgrade it should leave your files and folders alone

jstinehelfer :

Upgrades Mac OSX from an earlier version. Upgrading is not intended to remove previously installed application or files

jstinehelfer :

You want to use the Upgrade option

Customer:

Transferring Information From Another Mac or Volume

The setup assistant can help you transfer information from another Mac OS X computer or volume to your new Mac OS X system. If you choose to transfer information, you will be asked to select which items you want transferred. You can transfer user accounts, network and other settings, applications, and files and folders. Some transferred applications may not work and will have to be reinstalled. This is all I have found. I have not found information about Upgrading. I was told by someone else that I have a choice for a clean install or an upgrade, but the directions don't mention "upgrade".

jstinehelfer :

This will leave it all in tact

jstinehelfer :

I am looking at page 7 of the manual there is two pictures

jstinehelfer :

one on the left is for a computer that does not have Mac OSX

jstinehelfer :

picture on the right has the option for Upgrade when it detects you already have Mac OSX on your computer

Customer:

I am just not confident that the installer will offer me the option to upgrade since the directions never mentioned. it. Also, I would like to get rid of all the old junk like safari and firefox and other crap. All I want are my pictures and my lovely Apple Works!

jstinehelfer :

Then I would copy your music, pictures, and apple works document folder to the flash drive and do a clean install

Customer:

So archive and install is the same thing as upgrade?

jstinehelfer :

Well the Archive and Install basically puts all your files and documents and current application to a folder called System Old

jstinehelfer :

then installs a fresh copy.

jstinehelfer :

so you basically have double the data

jstinehelfer :

if you use the Archive and Install and put a check mark by the Preserve User data etc then all your user files including desktop, docs, music, pics, network settings will automatically be installed in the new OSX

jstinehelfer :

7

Step 4:

Select how you want to install Mac OS X

Click the Options button to select “Archive and Install” or “Erase and Install.” One of the

following screens appears:

Select how you want to install Mac OS X, and then click OK. Click Continue when you’re

ready to proceed to the next pane.

Install Mac OS X

This option appears if you don’t have Mac OS X installed on your computer or you have

an early version of Mac OS X (v10.2.8) that can’t be upgraded. Select this option to

install Leopard on your computer.

Archive and Install

Select this option if you want to install a fresh system on your computer.

“Archive and Install” moves your existing Mac OS X system files to a folder named

Previous System, and then installs a new copy of Mac OS X on the selected volume.

Mac OS X–installed applications, such as Address Book and Safari, are archived, and

new versions are installed in the Applications folder.

Unless you choose “Preserve Users and Network Settings,” user accounts and their

home folders are also archived in the Previous System folder

jstinehelfer :

If you want I can stick around and help you as you go along.

jstinehelfer :

Just give me a super rating when we are done.

jstinehelfer :

It is up to you to make a copy of your files though just in case of a problem. More than likely we wont need them

Customer:

I have company here that I need to deal with so I can't do the installation right now (besides I'd have to back up the files just in case… I would love to have your help later or at another time when I am actually going through the steps. Is that possible or will I have to pay all over again?

Customer:

Can I print a copy of all your directions?

jstinehelfer :

No just bookmark this page in your safari bookmarks

jstinehelfer :

then come back here. I live in Ohio so I am Eastern Time

jstinehelfer :

I am busy tomorrow morning. Do you know what time you will be able to do this. I will be home all this eve and night tonight

Customer:

So, how about a vacation to California! I'm going to the opera tonight, but I will be available all day tomorrow…no company

jstinehelfer :

Lets see how about 1 pm tomorrow that would put it at 9 am your time I believe

jstinehelfer :

I think your 4 hours behind me right

Customer:

After I back up stuff and start to install both leopard assist and leopard, I may need your help. I am not awake at 9 am! We are 3 hours behind you.

jstinehelfer :

Ok what time would you be up to working on this.

jstinehelfer :

If you do the leapard assist have it put your user files, settings etc on your flash drive

Customer:

How would I get in touch with you directly? And will I be charged again? Tomorrow is Saturday? Aren't you supposed to be fishing or something? I don't want to invade on your weekend

jstinehelfer :

When either one of us comes back to this chat and we reply it emails the other that we are here.

jstinehelfer :

I am working for Xmas money so I will be working all weekend.

Customer:

A flash drive don't have user settings. I just slide stuff onto it

jstinehelfer :

the leapard assist will move data where you choose or a different volume

jstinehelfer :

your flash drive will be the different volume

Customer:

sorry doesn't have user settings. I'm an English teacher

jstinehelfer :

If I knew exactly what time you wanted to work on this I would put you in my calendar and be here at that time

Customer:

I will work on it tomorrow morning. Your time around 1 or 2 p.m.

jstinehelfer :

Ok I will be on here.

jstinehelfer :

Do you know how to bookmark this page and come back to it?

Customer:

Is 16 GB a large flash drive, or are there larger. Maybe I should go buy a new one. That was cheap.

jstinehelfer :

They have different sizes I think I have seen a 32 is the highest until you get in to an external hard drive

Customer:

How many GB do a lot of pictures require?

Customer:

So how much does an external hard drive cost? or is there another device that I can slide things onto?

jstinehelfer :

it depends on how much data you have

Customer:

Maybe I should go buy the 32 GB. Do I slide things onto it from my Applications folder? Will everything that is needed go with the package or is it stored in different locations on my HD?

jstinehelfer :

No you will get all new applications

jstinehelfer :

the only thing you will need to reinstall is your personal files and Apple Works, Firefox if you use that

jstinehelfer :

all that extra you can get off the Internet

Customer:

What do you mean? I am talking about backing up my Apple Works. OK. You have given me a half hour of your time. We have better end this. I am not sure how the charges work with Just answer.Mac

Customer:

So when I install the new platform, will it come with new applications?

jstinehelfer :

We get paid when someone gives us a good rating

jstinehelfer :

the cost does not go up or down

Customer:

OK I'll give you a good rating. Do I pay again tomorrow when we talk again?

jstinehelfer :

it is what it says it was which I only get half of so it looks like you chose the 38 dollar option. When you accept the answer with a good rating it gives you the option to tip at the end and give a good survey of how I did my job

jstinehelfer :

No do not give a rating yet

jstinehelfer :

wait till tomorrow to do the rating when we are done

Customer:

Ok. I'll "see" you tomorrow. Thanks for today!

jstinehelfer :

No problem did you get this page bookmarked

Customer:

yes

jstinehelfer :

Ok I will see you tomorrow after noon my time. Take care. Just click the save and exit or just close the window

jstinehelfer :

I just wanted to send a message and see how you was doing with this problem?

Customer: I just reread the conversation, and even though jstinehelfer didn't know what troubles I would encounter once I tried to install 10.5, he tried to help. I just think an expert should be aware of roadblocks such as insufficient ram and memory before concluding that it will be easy. I was also told that I can't slide Apple works onto a flash drive and reinstall it! but that I would need the original CD of Apple works which "may" be compatible with Leopard. My computer came with Apple works already installed , so I don't have a CD. whatever, the guy tried to help, so he should be paid.
jstinehelfer :

No you cannot slide Apple Works program to a USB. You can slide your Apple Works Documents to a flash drive. The Apple Works can be downloaded from the Apple website for free.

jstinehelfer :

If you look back my reply was this.

jstinehelfer :

jstinehelfer says:

11/15/13 3:03 PM

11/15/13 3:03 PM

11/15/13 3:04 PM

jstinehelfer :

If you are happy with my work you need to give me a good rating in order for me to get paid.

jstinehelfer :

I appreciate working with you.

jstinehelfer, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: A+ Comptia Certified computer repair
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.