Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

My MacPro Desktop computer Intel 6 core 3.3 gig crashed earlier

My MacPro Desktop computer Intel 6 core 3.3 gig crashed earlier today. I was able to so a "soft launch" to get my desktop to come back, but in a soft launch everything runs super slow and there is no sound output. I've run the Disk Utility on the main hard drive and the other two internal drives and they all check out Okay. I tried shutting down, unplugging the power cord, plugging it back in, and restarting holding down option P& R keys. When I do that or start up any other way than a Soft launch, the original desktop comes up that was there when I got the computer (2012) and none of my hard drives show up on the desktop and none of my desktop files show up, it's just a clean desktop. Can you help troubleshoot this? Thanks in advance, Greg
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
Did you also Repair Permissions. What system version?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Yes, I ran Repair Permissions. Intel 10.6.8

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
OK did you reset the SMC?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

How do I do that?

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
Try this but also unplug any external hard drives from the computer and from power while doing it

Resetting the SMC & PRAM for Mac Pro, Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini, or Intel-based Xserve
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
3. Wait fifteen seconds.
4. Attach the computer's power cord.
5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
8. Release the keys.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I tried this earlier this evening after reading a response you gave another client. It'd didn't solve my issue. Still no sound output and slow computer running Adobe Premiere Pro editing software.

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
OK did you unplug all external drives? How much disk space is available on the main hard drive?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

43 gigabytes on main hard drive. All external drives are unplugged.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

correction, 46.84 gigabytes on main hard drive.

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
OK that is not a lot for Premier are you using the external drives as scratch disks? Is Adobe Premier the only thing that is slow? What other symptoms?
Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
Also how much RAM?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

6 gigs.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Sorry, I meant 8 gigs of RAM.

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
OK What about the question before that, are you using the external drives as scratch disks for Premier? Is Adobe Premier the only thing that is slow? What other symptoms? And did you also check the external drives with Verify Disk?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Not using any external hard drives. Only using internal hard drive for Scratch Disk for Premiere. Yes, Adobe Premiere only thing running slow.

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
OK that is really not a lot of free space for Premier, but you say you also have no sound? Is there a reason you haven't upgraded to Lion or Mavericks, that computer would benefit greatly from it?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

No reason not to have upgraded to Lion or Mavericks, hadn't occurred to me. I wasn't having a sound output problem until the computer crashed today, in fact no problems until today when I was installing Davinci Resolve.

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
OK I would consider it. But as far as the current problem do you hear a startup chime?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

No start up chime, I'm going to get a ton of files off of my main hard drive and then try the reset the SMC again

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
OK if the sound problem started after you installed Resolve we should also uninstall it. Is that the free version?
Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.

There is an uninstaller included in the DMG fro Davinci Lite run that too.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Un-installing DaVinci Lite now. Moving 700 gigs off of the Main Hard drive. It's going to take a couple of hours to get it all moved.

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
Ok we can continue tomorrow if you wish it is about 11:30 pm here and I am about to sign off if that is ok?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Yes, that's fine, let continue tomorrow. I'll work on things we've discussed for the rest of tonight, it 9:30 pm my time so I can continue to work the problem for a few more hours. How do I reach you tomorrow?

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
Just bookmark this page and come back after aboutXXXXX thanks and good luck.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok will do
Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
Thanks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Mike,

I ended up taking the Mac into the Apple Store and over the weekend they found the issue and repaired it. It had to do with the attempted installation of the Da Vinci Resolve Lite, and the Postgres function of the Resolve causing major issues.

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
Ok that is what I thought but I guess the uninstall didn't work eh? OK
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I made the "amateur" mistake of deleting the DaVinci app instead of using the "uninstall" to get rid of it, so now the app and associated folder is gone, but the Postgre still shows up in the "Get Info" as one of the items listed to have access to my computer. I've put it on "Read Only", but its like a bad cold, it just won't go away. I read on the web yesterday that I should reload Davinci Resolve and then run the Uninstall, but no way am I letting DaVinci Resolve anywhere near my computer again.

Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
That would be the best option though. It could then uninstall completley.
Expert:  Mike replied 8 months ago.
You could also try something like AppCleaner but if you already trashed the app it may not work.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.