Expert Scott
Expert Scott, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  I have 15 plus years of technology experience in government, education, and private sectors.
72192405

My iCal on my MacPro wont connect to the iCloud to receive

My iCal on my MacPro won't connect to the iCloud to receive calendar updates from my iPhone. I keep getting an error saying "iCal couldn't connect to the p02=caldav.icloud.com. These calendars worked fine together for a long time and recently they just stopped updating each other. Any idea what's going on?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 10 months ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

10.7.5

Thanks, Brent.

Is the iPhone access iCloud without issue?

Also, are you able to sign into the iCloud website and see the data from your iPhone?
https://www.icloud.com/

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No. The iPhone also won't backup or connect to the cloud. I thought maybe the cloud was the issue.

Ok, does the iCloud website work for you?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

When I go onto it, I try to sign in and it says there is an error in connecting to the cloud.

You get this message when trying to sign in via Safari on your Mac?

Currently all Apple services are listed as online:
http://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes I do. I checked that site also... just to see if the cloud was down before I sent you the problem.

So here we are. Nothing cloud related is working for me.

Thanks, Brent.

It's curious that you actually CAN access the website and only see the message when trying to sign in.

Is this the same ID you use for iTunes/App Stores and are you able to sign in there?

Also, test out that the iCloud Apple ID is working properly by signing into the Apple ID management site:
https://appleid.apple.com/ (Click "Manage Your Apple ID")

Does that work?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

That link won't open for me.

The server at appleid.apple.com is taking too long to respond.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Okay, that's quite curious. It appears you are blocked from more than just iCloud.

Is the iPhone also accessing the same wi-fi network as the Mac?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes

Okay,

power off/unplug your router and modem. Then plug them back in/turn them on.

After you are connected to the internet, try the iCloud or Apple ID website again.

Hopefully, you will now have access.

If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website, the price, or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Powered off. Modem/router off. Reconnect. Powered up. Same issue. I had tried this before I contacted you, but I now have tried it again and got the same error when trying to access that website.

Ok, if you turn wi-fi off on the iPhone are you able to access iCloud services there without issue?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I'm not sure what you mean about accessing services. I've turned my phone wifi off and can go into iCloud to see how much storage is available. It looks like everything is working but I'm not sure how to test if the iCloud services have any issues or not.

If you have an iCloud email address, you can try sending an email or, try modifying a calendar even on contact profile, try doing an iCloud backup, etc...

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Backup won't happen when wifi is off. Backups to iCloud have never worked on this phone. I have to plug it in and back it up on my laptop. I've received emails on that phone every time you answer this question, so the email from that account is definitely working.

Oops, right you are about the backups. ;-)

Are you able to access the iTunes Store from your Mac? ....and the Mac App Store?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes I can access both. Just for the record though, my iTunes on my phone uses a different apple id.

Are you able to access https://appleid.apple.com/
from the iPhone while connected to wi-fi?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No.

Okay, have you changed any settings with your router/modem recently?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Nope. I don't actually know how to.

Okay, and who is your internet provider?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

shaw

Ok and how long have you been having this issue?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I've only notice the calendars and contacts not syncing over the last week.

Okay, I'm going to opt out and let another expert take a look at this. Since it effects both devices I believe it's squarely with the router or Shaw in this case rather than the Apple devices themselves.

Please do not reply back until another expert picks this up as it may delay the process.

Thanks and good luck!
Expert:  Expert Scott replied 10 months ago.
Hello. My name is Scott. I think I have some information that may help you with this problem. By reading the previous posts, I saw that Shaw was your internet provider. It appears that Shaw has had some DNS routing problems over the past month or so. There is currently an alert that some websites may be down. Here is that link... https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-2352

I suggest reporting your problem with Shaw's support just to be on the safe side and maybe they can give you an estimated time on a fix for this problem. So as far as I can tell, nothing should be wrong with your setup, just the internet provider. Let me know if I can answer anything else about this problem.
Expert Scott, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: I have 15 plus years of technology experience in government, education, and private sectors.