John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

When I connect my iPad to the computer the computer seys the

Customer Question

When I connect my iPad to the computer the computer seys the "USB Dvice is nopt recognised. one of the USB Devices attached to your computer has malfunctioned", It will still charge from a powerpoint. Also when I put it on the Docking Station it will no commect to the unit.
Jim
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 9 months ago.
Hello! My name is John, I will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Which model of iPad is this please?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ipad 4

Thanks, Jim.

Do you know what version of iOS is installed?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

7.0.3(11B511)

Thanks again!

Let's step through a couple simple procedures and if they don't work we'll bring out the big guns.

First, let’s attempt resolving this issue with your Apple device by trying a hard reset, then proceed from there if that does not resolve the problem:

Disconnect the device from it's cord, if plugged in.

Press and hold your Sleep/Wake button (on the top) and Home button (on the front) together for around 10 seconds.

When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

The next thing you should see after the Apple logo is the home screen a few minutes later.

See if it is then recognized by the computer.

If that doesn't work, let's next try a Settings Reset.

On the iPad;

tap Settings

tap General

tap Reset

tap Reset All Settings

See if it is then recognized by the computer. If it is not, can you tell me how you back up the iPad - iTunes or iCloud?

If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website, the price, or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Its come back on but but no message saying it does not recognise it, and when I go to my computer its not there. I back up on iCloud

To clarify, you do or do not get any sort of message?

Will the iPad normally charge via the computer and is it now?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I hear a beep when it connects, but no message

Ok.

Part 1:

Restart your computer.

Conect the iPad to a DIFFERENT USB port and see if there is a change.

If not, disconnect from the computer.

Part 2:
tap Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup

tap "Back Up Now"

When the back up is finished;

tap Settings

tap General

tap Reset

tap Erase All Content And Settings

When the iPad restarts, it will display the Setup Assistant. In the Setup Assistant, temporarily choose to set up as a new device rather than restore a backup. You can skip all optional setup questions as desired. We just want to test the unit in "out of the box" condition right now.

See if it is then recognized by the computer and iTunes.

If it is not recognized, skip the Part 3 and go straight to Part 4.
If it IS recognized

Part 3:
Disconnect from the computer and restore from iCloud and test once more;

tap Settings
tap General
tap Reset
then tap “Erase all content and settings”

When the iPhone restarts, it will display the Setup Assistant. In the Setup Assistant, sign in to iCloud, tap “Restore from a Backup,” then choose from a list of your backups in iCloud.

Once finished, see if iTunes still recognizes the device. If it does, you should be good to go, if not then...

Part 4:
The following procedure is a special firmware recovery mode (DFU). It will erase your Apple device, re-install the operating system, and then re-sync user data once it is done (provided you have a backup of some kind).

Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes on your computer before attempting this:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

* Open iTunes on your computer and connect the Apple device directly to it

* Turn off the Apple device (press the sleep/wake button on the top until you see the red slider and slide the red slider across to the right OR until the device simply shuts off, if locked up).

* Hold down the sleep/wake button (on the top) AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds

* Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until...

* iTunes should pop up and tell you it’s found a device in recovery mode, click ok and continue along for the restore.

Note: When you are in DFU mode the device's screen will be completely black.

Note #2: it may ask whether you wish to restore a backup from iTunes or from iCloud. You should use iCloud.

If it doesn’t work the 1st time, start from the beginning and try again. If iTunes *still* doesn't recognize the device, plug it into a DIFFERENT USB port and try once more.
---

If you reach this point and the iPad is still not being recognized and you are unable to complete the DFU mode procedure then you are dealing with a physical issue in the iPad - probably a fault in the Lightning connector port. You can try using a flashlight to make sure there is no foreign matter in the port that might cause issues but this is not usually the case. At this point, you would need service by an Apple authorized service center.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

The message eventually came up again but I noticed my computer froze when it was connected to the iPad, but when I touched the connection if unfroze, do you thinh there is a problem wwith the connection?

Jim

Do you mean the connection between the cable and the iPad?

Can you duplicate this symptom again?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yes. And when its plugged into the computer the computer freezes and when I wriggle the connection it infreezes.

jim

Thanks, Jim.

You mentioned originally trying different cords. If this happens with all cords as well then that may point more toward a physical issue in the Lightning connector on the iPad.

I think I would still try the software steps, at least Parts 2 and 4, just to cover all bases if you have the time.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Its still backing up to iCloud at the moment

Okay, that's fine. ...and good luck!

Register Here

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

It seys about sven hours remaining

Seven? That's an extremely long time though it greatly depends on the speed of your wi-fi.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

It appears that it was being backed up to iTune not iCloud

You mean previously? That of course may be quicker, as well, but not an option in it's current condition sadly.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ok so I just have to wait.

Ok,

I will be going off shift here shortly (it's 1:35am my time) but will monitor my email for a couple more hours at least in case you need additional assistance during that time. Otherwise, I will respond to any further replies from you when I log back in to start my next shift (in about 10 hours from now).

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

So how do I contacy tou tomorrow?

jim

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

OK Going now.

Jim

Okay, good luck with it.

Howdy!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. If you need further assistance on this issue, please let me know. If you are satisfied but have not yet rated, please do so. Positive ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Also, feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question.

I can be reached directly via the following page:
http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

Thanks,