Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

Hello there! A couple of weeks ago, on the same day, my Mac

Customer Question

Hello there! A couple of weeks ago, on the same day, my Mac and printer connection vanished, my AirPort vanished and so did my volume. Can you help me get them back?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

What are you using right now?
What version of OS X is on the sick Mac?
What kind of Mac? I assume a laptop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dan --

I'm not sure what you mean by "what are you using right now?" If you mean what computer, then it's the one I'm asking about it. That has OS X 10.6.8 (I forget which animal that is!) and yes, it's a laptop.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Are you using cable to the router?
Catherine, the more details you give me the easier this will be.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No worries -- I'm pretty thick when it comes to computers, so feel free to ask me for all the info you need!

Yes, I'm using a cable to my router.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then we will try this.
1 Pram reset.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys all together at the same time.
‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P' all together at the same time.
Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that your computer makes when it starts up, it is like a boonngg. The screen should also cycle from white to black and then back to white along with the chimes.
The sound should also get louder.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.
This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

After that repair permissions, this PDF will explain.

Repairing Permissions

Then if that doesn't return things to normal then a SafeBoot is next.

To do a Safe Boot, restart and before the first chime press and hold the 'Shift' key.

Wait until you see the Apple logo and the spinning gear appear, then let go.

It can take as long as 20 minutes to load, so please be patient.

When the login screen appears it will say in red on the login window 'SafeBoot'.

Now login and give it a few more minutes to finish loading.

Try doing whatever it was it was giving you the problem. If it works then probably the problem is solved, so restart normally.

If the problem persists then restart normally also, other fixes will need to be done.

Then let me know the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, the PRAM reset is what I tried before with no results. I'll try the SafeBoot, but I'm concerned since I don't hear any chimes because my volume is gone. Should I just press the Shift key immediately then? And how do I let you know whether it worked and what my rating is? (By the way, so cool that you're a Christian!)

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Don't worry about a rating yet, we are not done.
Yes, as soon as the screen turn black hold it down.
Then see if the Airport comes back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. Here I go!

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No luck. :-( Still says No AirPort card installed and the volume icon is gone, but the volume keys on the keyboard don't help -- the volume's still gone.

By the way -- this is probably something I should have told you before. My laptop is currently hooked up to monitor -- I don't know whether that affects anything.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Look in About this Mac in More info and tell me what the Model indentifier is.
It will be in Hardware.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Macbook Pro 3,1

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I have some news. It is A MacBook Pro made late 2007 and is considered vintage.
It will run the latest OS X which is Mavericks but not well.
It could be the logic board but that is not known for sure yet.

You are using an external monitor because?

Try resetting the SMC (system management controler).

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
  3. Remove the battery.
  4. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  5. Release the power button.
  6. Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
  7. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Then see what comes back to life.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I wrote down your instructions and will try it now. And I have it on an external monitor so my Mom can use the computer and see tthings more easily.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Disconnect what is not neccessary like the external monitor. It may have an effect that we do not want.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I did that. And I was so excited because, for a moment both the AirPort and volume icons looked normal and then they faded again.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
That is not bad news.
Do you have the 10.6 install disks? Make this much easier.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm prettty sure I do -- I'm looking for them now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Found the disks.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Once you find them boot from disk one by restaing and holding the Option key, this opens the startup manager.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Then after the welcom splash screen look at the menu bar and select Utilities.
Use Disk utility to do firt aid.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

If that doesn't do it then we will reinstall OS X.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

While I was waiting, I realized that these are probably NOT the right disks. They look to be for 10.6.3 and I have 10.6.8. I'm sorry to be such a pain.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
That is OK, they will work just fine, matched to your Mac.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It says the time to repair permissions is 51 minutes? Is that right?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Let it go and it will do its job.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okey dokey. I'll check in with it now and again and get back to you when it's finished.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Please do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That was a fast 51 minutes -- "Permissions repair complete."

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
It will usually overestimate.
Now repair the hard drive, refer to the inmage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hmm, the repair disk button is greyed out.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Did not boot from the DVD?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You mean just now or earlier? I did it earlier before we ran the first aid.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Do it again because that is the only way it can repair the hard drive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, it's in the middle of permission repair and I'm most hopeful that it will work this time. I don't know what happended the first time, but when I rebooted this second go around the big X appeared on the screen and everything seemed much more in line. I'll get back to you when permission repair is done. Or should I go ahead and click on repair disk and get back to you then?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Yes, repair the disk also, please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I'll check in once that's done.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Please do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The repair disk button is still greyed out. I'm really running out steam at my end -- it's been an exhausting day. Can we get together again to continue? I'm not at all dissatisfied with you -- I'm just tuckered out.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Yes, tomorrow will be fine. It is getting late here also.
We will pick up where we left off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's right -- you're an hour ahead of me. What time should I look for you tomorrow?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
I sign on about 11 AM and off at about 11 PM. If you have a time in mind let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It will likely be in the evening, around 8:00 your time. Thanks so much and have a good night!

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
8 Works for me, see you then and good night.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, Dan.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Evening Catherine.
Did the disk repair do ok?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, and I'm afraid I have more bad news and need some advice. I discovered today that (1) my laptop battery is dead and (2) that the laptop screen isn't working properly, either. I expect it's my fault for not giving either of those things enough exercise on their own, but perhaps the poor thing has given out -- it's 6.5 years old. Of most immediate concern is that I can't work with you tonight -- in fact, I won't be free again before next Wednesday as I was unexpectedly assigned a lot of work at my job with a deadline of next Tuesday. Please advise about where to go from here.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
The battery problem is not a bad one providing the rest of the MBP is ok.
Reinstalling the OS X will tell us a lot. It will not damage any data but to be sure clone the hard drive using this utility.
You will need an external HD at least as big as the internal.

Then after that is done use the install disks to reinstall OS X, it defaults to writing a whole new OS X leaving data alone providing there is enough free space on the HD.
This explains it.

Complete Installation

Take your time and do this when you are not hurried, I am in no hurry for this.

Please read everything before clicking.

Keep me posted when you can.

See to the deadline and do a good job, see you about next Wednesday.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. For everything. Until next week.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Looking forward.