James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience:  Mac Expert

For outlook, if you edited the content of a received message

Customer Question

For outlook, if you edited the content of a received message and saved it, is there a way to make sure that no one will find out when the message is being modified?
Category: Mac
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

I'm an Outlook expert and would be happy to help.

Can you please explain in a bit more detail what you are trying to do?

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

once you edited the content of a received message, i know there is a way to check and see when it was being modified, i wonder if that be hided so that people won;t know when it was changed?

Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

If you open the message in Outlook, and then click Actions-->Edit Message and make changes, then save it, there will be no record and no indication that the original message has been changed in any way.

Outlook does not keep records of manual modifications.

I hope this helps!

If you have any other questions or need more information, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond!
I'd appreciate it if you can rate my service using the faces below my answer.

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Are you 100% sure? because i heard that Outlook will mark the date and time a message was modified...

Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.
Yes - I am sure, and I just double checked on my own Outlook.

It doesn't record manual modifications to the message text.

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

so if people checked my outlook, there is no way to find out that the original message was being modified? sorry if this sounds repetitive, but I just want to make sure because i heard something about viewing the properties of a message would show metadata such as the sent, received and modified dates....

Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

I understand exactly what you mean. People CANNOT see that you modified the message.
The properties (or message header/envelope) does include the send and receipt dates, but it DOESN'T show any manual changes to the message. I checked that.

Many thanks,

James.
James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience: Mac Expert
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

hey one more question, can you check for me if this will show :

Open a email window and then click File->Info->Properties, at the bottom of this window, all the detail information about this message will display in ''Internet Headers''.

OR

select the message and press ALT+ENTER

Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.
That's exactly what I checked for you :)

This will show when the message was send, received, etc. It will show the servers along the way, and other details about the message.

It will NOT show any manual changes to the message!

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

"A quick way to get back to the old dialog is to select the message and press ALT+ENTER"

can you check this and makre usre it WILL NOT show the original message too?

thanks a million!

Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.
Oh - I see what you are concerned about now.

Yes, this will show a modification date/time on the message, but it is completely meaningless. This will show a change time/date if you move the message to any other folder, or change category, etc - there is no way to distinguish such change (move to folder, etc) from a manual text change, so this value is meaningless. No one can show that you changed the message, you could have just as easily put it in another folder.

J.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

so it won't say what kind of a modification that is? is there a way to remove/hide the modification date/time?

thanks!

Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.
There is no way to remove it, but it doesn't say what change was made.
You can make the change, then move it to a folder (1 minute after), and it will only record the date/time of the last change, e.g. the folder move.

It is meaningless as a means for forensics analysis.

J.