Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products

I recently acquired an Iphone (4S) and I was notified that

I recently acquired an Iphone (4S) and I was notified that the software needs to be updated, but I need to do it with Wi FI. I have a Verizon (FIOS) router in my home and can identify it in available Wi Fis in my area, but I do not remember the password. What's my next step in learning the password?

I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

You can update the software through the computer too. Download the latest version of itunes to the computer by going to

Once you install it, connect the iphone to the computer and it will tell you that an update is available. You can now go for the update.

Or if you want to update it through the WiFi, is your computer connected to the same wifi network? If so, are you using a Mac or a windows xp/vista/7/8?

Thank You
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Windows XP computer is connected to the same wi fi

And I do not know how to connect the phone to the computer.

There should be a cable along with the iphone, which you would use for charging the phone.

Instead of inserting the one part to the charger, you will insert that into the USB port of the computer. Let me know if you need any screenshots.

Unfortunately, windows xp will not give the password XXXXX Let's try the following website

Try until step 6.

let me know whether you are able to get into that site.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not know what a screenshot is.

Site no good

Step 6 ????

Charger cable -- neither end fits my USB port

Don't worry, John. Let's take a different method.

There is an application called "Wireless key view".

You can download it by going to the following link

There, scroll to the very bottom. And you will find another link called "download wireless key view 32-bit"

Download it and open it.

You can find your wireless password XXXXX there.

Let me know if you are not able to
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry. I am not savy enough to follow the guidance and it is very frustrating. Just want to push a buttom and have it done.

I understand.

have you opened the link I gave you in the previous response?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, but my computer advised the site may contain damaging information.

you can download that file safely. It is a third party software to find the wireless password. And that is the easiest method for finding the wireless password XXXXX the windows computer. You just need to unzip that folder and open the application within it.

If you don't wish to download that, go to the following website

Is it asking for a username and password? If it is, provide username as "admin" (without quotes) and password XXXXX "password" (without quotes). If it does not take that, try the password XXXXX the serial number on the back of your wifi router.

Let me know if it lets you in.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Did not work. Let's forget it. Chg my acct for the additional $33 and I will write it off to my inability to follow instructions.

Sorry that I could not resolve your issue...:(

If you are finding it difficult to connect to the computer or to find the wireless password, the better thing I would suggest is to take it into any apple store nearby.You would be able to update from there.

or you can also take the iphone to a different wifi area and update.

I can still work with you if you need me.

To find your wifi password: you can also contact your router manufacturer

you can also call Verizon to get the password XXXXX your wifi, Use the following link to get to them