Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Hi, I disabled my iPad because of my password. Do I need to

Hi, I disabled my iPad because of my password. Do I need to come into the store to get this adjusted? If so can you help me with an appointment?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

No, you don't have to go to the store to fix this problem. I will help you to sort this out. I will walk you through the steps. Do you have access to a PC with internet connection ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If you mean my computer, yes. I am so not computer literate....

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Rose, I will walk you through the steps. Before we start, I want to tell you something. Your iPad is permanently disabled, so we have to restore it from iTunes on your computer. Unfortunately, this will erase everything from your iPad as that is your only way to fix the problem. I will walk you through the instructions to get it back working. Are you ready to continue ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes...I hope I'm not too much of a problem as we go along.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No Rose. I will stick with you until we fix this problem. First, download and install latest iTunes on your PC from here : http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Let me know once you did that, so we can move to next step
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oh boy..will it tell me how to down load this? I do very little & have very little on my ipad? but I'll go ahead...

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Rose, click on the link and it will bring Apple page. Click the blue download now button and it will start downloading or ask you to download it. Click OK.

Once it is downloaded, you can see the downloaded file in the Downloads folder. Open it and follow the onscreen instructions to install. Let me know how it goes...
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rose, How is it going ? Did you download it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes but then I wasn't sure how to get back to you...sigh...but did. now what Ashik?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Is iTunes successfully installed now ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes (I think so)

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Open iTunes application and do you see the iTunes interface ? Just need to make sure iTunes is succesfully setup
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ashik....if there are 2 of these on the same page...they invited me to listen to the radio...is this helpful to you?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hmmm...sounds like iTunes. Now, we need to restore your iPad using the iTunes application on your PC. Open iTunes if you've closed it. Then follow the steps below exactly

• Connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable.
  • Open iTunes application on your computer if not already.
  • On your iPad Press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.
  • After EXACTLY 8 seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.
  • Click OK or Restore.

Let me know what happens Rose.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Rose, do you have any difficulty following the above steps ? If so, please let me know and I will walk you through it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK one more thin...in the front of my computer there are 2 openings, one above the other...which would I use for a proper connection???

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Not sure I understand you. Could you please tell me what they say ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

actually the cable has a 3 prong picture on top & it fits right into my computer. my next question would be...my ipad is asking for my password & this is the reason I'm here with you today. I messed mine up. How do I put a new one in....I can do the instructions because I wrote them down...but where do I find iTunes??? Thank you!

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I understand. Ignore what you see on your iPad, because the steps above will over-ride the iPad's password XXXXX Recovery mode which will allow you to restore your iPad to working condition

If you are using Windows computer, you can find iTunes in the Start menu > All Programs > iTunes or in the desktop

Did you find iTunes ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am scared to death that when I go to the start menu I'll loose you again! But I'll try.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Just add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites Rose, so you can get back to me via that bookmark.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rose, just checking. How is it going ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rose, I'm here. Here is what you want to do.

If you've not installed iTunes yet, then download and install it again on your computer from here : http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Then you can restore your iPad by putting it to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) Mode or we can say Recovery mode. DFU Mode is a mode which will allow you to restore your iPad to working condition by bypassing the password XXXXX Follow the steps below to put your iPad to DFU Mode (the same steps I sent earlier);

• Connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable came with it.
  • Open iTunes application on your computer
  • Click OK or Restore.
  • Let iTunes restore your iPad. It will take a while to restore your iPad

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPad will remain blank or shows black screen. Timing is critical when you put it to DFU Mode, so keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode. It may take some time or effort to put it to DFU Mode, so keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode.

Let me know how it goes Rose.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ashik...I am very proud of myself that I lost you but found you again in my emails! sigh It is important to me that I do a rating for you when we finish. You have been very helpful to me. I know we are coming down to the wire on this. Once again I need to get to my iTunes which I saw on my home page & it's not in my brow! But I will continue come what may. Sometimes I even amaze myself! Thank you!

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome Rose. After downloading iTunes from the website I sent you, you have to install it. Then only you will be able to open it (and appear on start menu). To install iTunes, open your Downloads folder and you can find the iTunes setup file there. Open it and follow the onscreen instructions to install it.

See this Youtube video Rose, it shows how to download and install iTunes : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0aBjprO76I

After installing iTunes, just open it and do the steps above and iTunes will restore the iPad for you.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Rose, you can easily get back to me directly, to this question through your email (received from JustAnswer). You can also use the links in the old emails from JustAnswer to get back to here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I know I have iTunes installed. I think I did this twice(???) Now it says it is locked because I need my passcode which I don't have & the mess I'm in. I will try to get itunes In my favorites so I can proceed. It may be awhile but I will get back to you! Undecided Thank you

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
If iTunes is installed, then open it from desktop or start menu and do the steps. Take your time and let me know if you need hany assistance.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ashik...I just had to take a break from this machine. I will now follow the steps provided. I'll get back to you...:)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ashik...it will not let me go any further because it is reminding me about my password XXXXX which is what this is all about in the first place... I would have completed long ago if I had a pass code! Not sure what to do next....and that is my big problem for the moment!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ashik...I do know one young man tha tI might get over here this evening that could finish this once and for all & you can get paid for hanging around with me today. I don't know what part of the world you are in but let me know if this could work for you. Now I'm not even sure he is available but I don't know what else to do! Would this work for you in any way?????

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ashik...I pray I haven't been your worse night mare!!! There is only 1 person I can think of that I know will help me get to the finish line but it won't be until tomorrow late afternoon. I will keep all of our emails. This family owns an iPad & have all kinds of things on it so I am pretty sure he will be able to get me out of this. I will then do my very positive report on you. I guess this way I won't be charged twice! It's evening here. Enjoy yours....Rose

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rose, I'm very sorry for the delay. Now put it to the DFU mode, then only you can restore it from iTunes on yur computer. Follow the instructions I sent you carefully to put it to DFU Mode, see the answers above.

After putting it to DFU mode your iTunes on the computer ask you to restore the iPad automatically so hit Restore.

Remember you will not be able to fix it without putting it to DFU mode.

You won't be charged twice and only pay after we solved the problem. Let me know how it goes.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Rose, I had to go offline since it was very late in here. If there is someone who is familiar with these devices, then pass him/her the instructions I sent you. It will take less than 5 minutes to put it to DFU mode but it will take a while to restore the iPad as the operating system for your iPad has to be downloaded from internet.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ashik, The person I thought could help me stopped by on his way home from work tonight. He has computer knowledge but could not get my iPad up either. When we got to the iPad it kept telling me it was disabled because of the password, which I got to a few times yesterday! Please go ahead & finish this with your company so you can get paid. I am just going to have to drive to the Apple store, even without an appointment to see what we can do. I was so very pleased with your service & knowledge that you shared with me. I will be happy to do the survey about you. Thank you...Rose

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rose, please accept my apologies for the delayed response. We're in different time zones that is why this delay.

It is hard to get it to DFU mode and it will take some effort and correct timing to get it to the DFU mode. When it is in DFU mode your iPad won't ask for password. I'd recommend to try it again Rose. It will work....

BTW you can make appointment from here : http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

If you are satisfied with my service, you can rate me Positively. But since I didn't couldn't solve you can contactXXX@XXXXXX.XXX for refund.

Best Regards,

Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc