Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have a MacBook Air, running OS X 10.9. I inadvertently copied

I have a MacBook Air, running OS X 10.9. I inadvertently copied a large e-mail into a date in Calendar and now get a box that says "The server responded with an error." There is no handle to delete the box, nor can I close Calendar without using Force Quit. When I try to open Calendar again, even after restarting, I get the same message, with everything seized up.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Are you using iCal application ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would have assumed it was iCal, but all it says is Calendar, so I'm not sure.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Larry, First disconnect the internet from your Mac and open iCal ? Did that work ?

If it is not working, in Finder, click on Go menu and select Library. This will bring the Library folder of your Mac. Open Caches folder and trash the file com.apple.ical

Then in Library folder, open Calendars folder and trash Calendar Cache, Cache, Cache 1, 2, 3, etc

(Do not remove Sync Cache or Theme Cache if present there)

Then open Preferences folder in Library and trash com.apple.ical or com.apple.ical.plist and all ical related files from there.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I removed com.apple.ical.plist and can now access my calendar, but all of the info on my calendar is gone.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Larry, I hope you didn't empty the trash yet. Do you have the calendar synced with any online services like iCloud, Gmail etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I didn't empty the trash. May be linked with iCloud.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Don't empty the trash yet. We can try to re-establish the ical with iCloud.

1. Choose iCal menu and select Preferences.
  2. Click Accounts.
  3. Click the Add button (+) in the lower-left corner.
  4. Choose iCloud as the Account Type.
  5. Enter your iCloud email address and password, then click Create. Your iCloud calendar events should now be viewable in iCal

Let me know it goes Larry.
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can't find iCal menu.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Can't you see iCal menu in the top left next to Apple ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just to be clear, next to the apple icon, it says "Calendar," not "iCal."

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
That is it, can you see Preferences option in there ?

Calendar is same as iCal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I signed up, added iCloud, got a new Apple ID, but Calendar is still blank.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Signed up ? Is this is the first time you are using iCloud ? If so, you wouldn't have to sign up.

Do you sync your calendar with any other devices like phone, tablets etc ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

First time using iCloud. Didn't sync anything.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Larry, turn off the WiFi connection of your Mac, then close Calendar and put the plist file back to the originals folder. If asked to replace existing file, click Replace or OK. Open iCal/Calendar and does it opens ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Larry, did you put the deleted com.apple.ical.plist back to the Preferences folder and open Calendar ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

SUCCESS!!! Thank you! As you could tell, I'm not the most computer-savvy person, so thanks for bearing with me.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Glad I could help you Larry. If you are satisfied wih my service, please rate me Positively.

Bonuses and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated :)

Have a great day,