Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

if i am editing video on a mac do i need to use the iFrame

Customer Question

if i am editing video on a mac do i need to use the iFrame 960x540p. And if so will the quality be significantly worse than teh 1080/60p or AVCHD?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 9 months ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

What is the video intended for? I mean will it be on a DVD, QuickTime movie or steaming on the web?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
For a website and utube I edit on iMovie
Expert:  Daniel replied 9 months ago.
That makes it easy.
Under Share in the menu bar it will give you several choices. The best video will of course be HD, this is not always possible streaming or uploading to Youtube.
File size is what matters here, a 960x540 will look good as long as it does not get blown up to fit the screen.
I use H264, it keeps the file size down and is scaleable, meaning it looks good on an iPod and a 52" HDTV.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
That is using the default settings.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Quicktime does this by default so the quality remains constant.

My best advice is to experiment before publishing.
This video explains it well.

iMovie changes from versio to version so please look for these settings as the video may not match what you see but it will help.

Let me know.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ok so i understand the exporting from imovie, but i should use iframe rather the 1080p?

Expert:  Daniel replied 9 months ago.
iFrame is a good way to shoot the video, not all cameras can do so however.
It supports up to 720p this page tells more.

1080p is much too large a format for the web, uses too much bandwidth and has large file sizes.
That is why H264 is good and iFrame is great, used together they work well.
iFrame to shoot it and H264 to export it.
That help?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Daniel, thanks so much! much appreciated!!

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Daniel replied 9 months ago.
I do quite a bit of custom video for school and churches and special events. My wife does most of the editing and I do the tech part.

Albert, enjoy and have fun with it, back it up often.

Expert:  Daniel replied 9 months ago.
How is it going Albert? Working out ok?