Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.

When I sync my iPad to my iMac, i get an error message that

When I sync my iPad to my iMac, i get an error message that says iTunes cannot sync photos because my photo library cannot be found. Then it says to open iPhoto to either create a library or update library.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 8 months ago.

Michelle :

Hi, and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you, I will need additional information. What displays in iphoto when you open it?

Customer:

When I open iphoto there is nothing unusual about it. It displays events, faces, places and all albums on the left side as usual.

Michelle :

In the left column under devices, is your iPad listed?

Customer:

yes

Michelle :

Click on it and choose to import photos. Close iTunes first

Customer:

There are no photos to import.

Michelle :

Since there are no photos to import, can you take a picture on your iPad

Michelle :

There needs to be photos in the iphoto libary

Michelle :

Library

Customer:

There are hundreds of photos in my library. The issue is that when I sync th ipad in itunes, the message says that ituns cannot find the iphoto library.

Michelle :

Thanks for the additional information. Open finder (Click on the happy face icon) In the left column choose photo. Is the iphoto library folder listed?

Michelle :

It should have a flower icon next to it

Customer:

i do not understand. am i looking for finder in iphoto?

Michelle :

In the left column, There will be a photos folder. Within the photos folder, there should be a iphoto library. If you do not see the photos folder in the left column, click on your account name and then choose the photos folder from there

Customer:

I clicked finder then under file i click find, then photos and the iphoto library is there and so is some other photo files.

Michelle :

Since it is in the right place, there may actually be an issue with your actual library. To help isolate your issue, we will need to create a new library first. To do this
1. Close iPhone
2. Press and hold down the option key while opening iphoto
3. Choose to create a new library and name it test

Customer:

done

Michelle :

So now there should be a blank library. Now open itunes and try to sync again. Do you still get the same error message?

Michelle :

Uncheck photos and then recheck it

Michelle :

Then click on sync

Customer:

When I sync the ipad I have to make a choice as to where the photos come from. When I chose to select the folder iphoto is not there.

Michelle :

Close iTunes, Open iphoto and import a few photos into the new library

Customer:

import to where?

Michelle :

Remember when we just created a new test library? You can just drag a few photos in there

Michelle :

So that iTunes can see it. If it does that will tell us that your old library may need to be repaired

Customer:

I imported the photos on the ipad to iphoto. I opened itunes attempted to sunc photos and the same things has occurred; itunes does not see the "test" library.

Michelle :

Okay lets focus on itunes. Click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose software updates. What updates are available?

Customer:

None, all up to date

Michelle :

Then we are going to reset itunes and iphoto. What version of OSX are you running?

Customer:

10.9

Michelle :

Open Finder, Click on GO in the top menu and choose Go to folder . Paste this inside ~/Library

Customer:

done

Michelle :

Close iTunes and iPhoto First.
1. Locate the preferences folder and click on it
2. Within the preferences folder, locate and delete com.apple.iTunes.plist and com.apple.iPhoto.plist

Customer:

Where is the "preference folder?

Michelle :

It is within the library folder. When you choose GO from the finder menu and then choose Go to folder , you entered ~/Library and folders displayed.

Michelle :

Within the library folder is the preference folder

Customer:

i got it and done

Michelle :

Next, Click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in disk utility

Customer:

done

Michelle :

Choose Macintosh HD and choose repair Permissions

Customer:

working

Michelle :

Okay let me know when it is done. We just have one more step after this

Michelle :

While we are waiting, open finder again and go back to your photos folder. Delete the test iphoto library

Customer:

done still working

Michelle :

Open iphoto and make sure it opens to your old library

Customer:

yep it does

Michelle :

Ok good. Just let me know when disk utility is done

Customer:

k

Customer:

done

Michelle :

You can close disk utility. Lastly, we are going to rebuild your iphoto library. Press and hold Command+Option+Shift keys while launching iPhoto. Continue to hold those 3 keys until a box pops up. Choose the last option to rebuild

Customer:

It is working

Michelle :

It may take some time

Customer:

k

Michelle :

You will need to restart your computer after. So bookmark our chat so you can get back. Disconnect your iPad if it is still connected

Customer:

ok I'll let you know before I do that

Michelle :

okay

Customer:

I think it is finished. I have bookmarked this page. Should I restart now?

Michelle :

Yup! See you when you get back

Customer:

I'm back

Michelle :

Okay now go ahead and connect your iPad and attempt to sync again

Customer:

I have syncd and it looks like all of the photos syncd. When choosing to syn photos in itunes, I can choose to select all or from selcted folders. why do I not see the iphoto library as a choice?

Michelle :

What happens when you uncheck and then check it again

Customer:

same thing

Michelle :

Is iphoto open?

Customer:

yes

Michelle :

Choose the option to Choose folder. Are you able to select your photo library

Customer:

The choice is to sync all photos or to choose a folder. When I select to choose a folder a finder box opens and I can see the iphoto library but it is grayed out and not accessable.

Michelle :

Lets re-download itunes. Click on this link http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Michelle :

Quit itunes first

Customer:

going to take about 5-6 minutes. then what?

Michelle :

Re-open iphoto. Your photos are syncing now which means itunes can see it, It is just not displaying

Customer:

should i just open it?

Michelle :

Yes open it and follow the installation instructions

Customer:

4 minutes

Michelle :

Okay

Michelle :

Disconnect your iPad By the way

Customer:

what happens to the Itunes I am currently running?

Michelle :

It gets re-installed. All of your music and stuff will still be there

Customer:

k

Customer:

almost there

Michelle :

When it is done, you can open it and plug in your iPad

Customer:

seconds now

Michelle :

Almost there

Customer:

installing

Michelle :

Ok

Customer:

I have completed all of the tasks and everything is the same except that I have successfully syncd the photos on the ipad. I think this will have to do.

Michelle :

Although its working, its still strange. iPhoto should be listed. We can also re-install iPhoto. This will not compromise any of your photos

Customer:

I may attempt to do this at latter time. I am going to have to leave for work soon

Michelle :

I understand. To re-install iphoto, just delete it and re-download it again from the Mac App store when you have time

Customer:

I will. Thanks for your time and help. It is always an education with these things.

Michelle :

You are very welcome. Yup we learn new things everyday. Enjoy your day at work :)

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.