John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

I have lost i photo. The photos are still listed in "all images"

I have lost i photo. The photos are still listed in "all images" but when I click on i photo all that happens is the words i photo appear next to the Apple symbol but the screen does not change. eg If I am in Firefox that screen remains but the word Firefox changes to i photo.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 8 months ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.

Also, do you know which version of iPhoto?

open iPhoto

Click "iPhoto" in the menu bar at the top of the screen

Choose "About iPhoto"

What does it list for version?

If iPhoto won’t open for you, you can find the version this way:

In the Finder, click the Go menu and choose Applications.

Locate the iPhoto app and Control-Click or Right-Click on the icon and choose Get Info.

What does it list for the version?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Hi John

My version of of OS X is 10.5.8

My version of i photo is 8.1.2 (424)

Thanks

Glinn

Thanks, Glinn.

Do you have your original OS X 10.5 install CD for troubleshooting purposes?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Sorry John I searched everywhere but cannot locate it.

Okay, well let's try the following first.

Restart your Mac and then do the following;

Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard while opening iPhoto.

Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.

A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select the options you want to use.
(I recommend checking all of them at this point since the reason for loss is unknown)

Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process. This may take a few minutes to complete.

Once it is finished, hopefully it will function as you expect.

If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website, the price, or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Sorry John but the problem persists. I went thru the process you suggested then clicked on i photo while on Desktop but nothing changed except i photo appearing in the menu bar.

Ok.

Can you clarify, did you see the dialog with rebuild options?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Yes. I selected all of them then rebuild. Then a message appeared stating that the library needed to be upgraded, so I selected upgrade and the computer went thru the process.

Alright,

Because of the age of your software it's going to be a bit more tricky to repair this.
You should next try rebuilding your iPhoto Library with the “iPhoto Library Manager“ available from here:
http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/iPhotoLibraryManager_386.dmg

You shouldn’t need to buy it, just use the trial version.

1. Download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.
2. Click on the Add Library button, navigate to your Home/Pictures folder and select your iPhoto Library folder.
3. Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the File ➙ Rebuild Library menu option
4. In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.
5. Click on the Create button.

Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments but not books, calendars or slideshows. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

OK John I have launched i photo manager and have reached a screen which has all my photos listed under "events". To the left is a column headed i photo libraries under which is a heading saying default. Above on the right is an option to relaunch i photo. Are you familiar with this screen, and if so, what next?

Did you already go through the Rebuild Library option? If so, try relaunching iPhoto now.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I relaunched i photo but it did not have any effect. I can see all the events listed under events in default but cannot get them into i photo. I also tried clicking on default in the i photo libraries column. Still nothing. There must be some way to get the events listed in i photo manager into i photo but the big question is how?

Hi Glinn. Can you confirm; Did you already go through the Rebuild Library option? Where did you save the new Library?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

All is well! Thanks to you my I photo is back up and running. Fantastic result! Thank you John, you have saved my sanity!

You are very welcome!

If the current issue has been resolved to your satisfaction, please remember to rate me accordingly when you get a moment.

I enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again by name at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. You can submit new questions directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry