Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I accidentally wiped out my email account (XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX)

I accidentally wiped out my email account (XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX) when I hit "since the beginning" instead of "last four weeks" on the History screen. I used to get 30+ letters a day (plus all my special files, photos, etc.), now I get nothing, so apparently nothing is being forwarded from my old account. Question: how do I get my old account (not the new one,XXX@XXXXXX.XXX) ??
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question today. My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

Who is your e-mail provider (Yahoo, Gmail, AOL, etc)?
-- When you type the full address on this site, it is blocked.
-- What comes after the @ sign?

Which program do you use to access your email (Outlook, Mac Mail, Entourage, Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc)?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

my provider is Gmail. To access my email I just used the Chrome icon. I'll have to try accessing the site again to see what comes after the @ sign (can't do two screens at once). I have a MacBook Pro, OS 10.6.8

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the update.

May I please, start a remote screen sharing session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem? No extra charge.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

yes

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Thank you.

If you are using a PC, Internet Explorer works the best. If you are using a Mac, only Safari will work with this remote.

Please, click the following link and allow the remote app to run: http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=5ee22200-6e4f-4bb3-ac33-cb5878c9d4bf

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I've tried many times to join but nothing seems to work (4 different groups)

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Are you having any problems with running that remote application after it is downloaded?

Which Internet browser are you currently using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, or something of the like)?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I hit on the link again, (Elsinore) and waited the 3 minutes to load. The loading signal is now off, but I don't know if it's running or not.

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.
I am not connected.

Please, try another solution.

- Please, click the following link, download that file, and run the file: https://secure.join.me/Download.aspx?webdownload=true
- Then download and allow that remote app to run.
- Once it is finished, please, tell me the 9 digit number that appears on the top of your screen.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

"join me" downloaded, I got an "unarchiving" signal, but when I tried opening the download I got nothing. No nine digit number. What do you mean, exactly, about "letting the app run"? What should I be doing after it downloads and Unarchives, which it's now done 3 times.

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.
Okay.

You say that when you tried opening the download, you got nothing.

May I ask what that means?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

the "downloading" icon disappears after the requisite wait (3 minutes for Elsinore, about 25 seconds for "join me", and the "unarchiving" signal runs for a second or two and then nothing. It doesn't go to a new screen; the download goes to the downloads file (I now have six today).

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for the update.
When you go to the downloads window and double-click one of those applications, what happens?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

it runs through some numbers and says it will open in 45 seconds, or so, the numbers bounce around but eventually gets down to 0 seconds, and then the download returns to exactly the way it was before I tried to open it. The unarchiving signal goes on with a new (5) number, then it's as though I hadn't done a thing

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Open a finder window.

In the left pane, do you see the join.me item?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I can't even find a finder window.

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.
Ok.

Click your desktop.

On the top menu, click Go > Downloads
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

on the downloads, there is a zipper icon, then the name of the download (with codes, but just in (5). On the finder the left panel has downloads with an arrow pointing to just in

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Okay.

Double click the download and run it, please.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

when I double click on join me (4) it just jumps down to the earlier join me with an added number (i.e. "join me" 4 (zip) goes to "join me" and adds the next number of downloads (now 9)

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.
Put your mouse over Join me number 9 and double click it. What happens?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

it unarchives then becomes join me(10)

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.
Now there is a new file? That is confusing me.

I am sorry.

I have run out of ideas.

For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

I wish you luck,
- Jason
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

should I just wait for the new person?

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
OK if you use your web browser and you go to gmail.com and sign in is all your email there?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Relist: Other.
I paid the deposit money, I spent about 2 hours with my expert, Jason, but finally he gave up and said he'd pass me on to another expert. Thus far, I haven't heard anything from Jason or the new person. What am I supposed to do?
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
I just asked you a question. Don't you see it?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I see it now, but I didn't get orange flag notice that you'd written. When I go to gmail, using my older account name, it automatically goes to the new one, which has only five or six notices, all from the two people I alerted to the problem. None of the usual mail, or even the usual spam has been forwarded to the new account, and I have no way of alerting my various correspondents because I have relied on gmail to do the responding and forwarding

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
If the account was not closed it should not go to a different account. Please use Safari and go to gmail.com and put in youer old email address and password. Let me know
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Safari cannot find the server, says the Safari page.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Are you sure you typed it in correctly? gmail.com ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

when I hit the safari icon on my toolbar, I get the message above. It doesn't give me the chance to type it. The safari page doesn't open (can't find server .56)

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
OK just ignore that and typ gmail.com in the address bar at the top then hit Return
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

it goes immediately to the new account (XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX). I can get all five messages of this week instead of the 200 or so that are on my old account, somewhere out in space

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Ok I can't see email addresses here, if you type in the old email address and password XXXXX gmail.com it would not go to a different account. If the account was closed or incorrect it would give you an error meesge not take you to a totally different account. What is the email address listed at the top right when you have logged in? Please just give me that part before gmail.com
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

when I type gmail.com it goes to "loading clarkblaise399"

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
OK is that the old address or the new one?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

that's the useless new one. I want to get back to the same address, without the numbers

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
OK then go to the picture or icon in the upper right and click there and go to Sign Out. Then sign in with the correct address and password
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
If your new address is still listed after you sign out click on Sign in with a different account below that
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Just go to the link in the email you receive to get back to this question or bookmark this page. Don't start a new question please. Can you repeat ?
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
I see you said "I don't see a place to answer your last question. I did as instructed and got the answer "this account is already being used on this computer." Of course it is--it's me!" You must be signed in somewhere else. Restart the computer then try siging in again.

"You will see this message if you are already signed in to Chrome with the same Google Account on a different Chrome user. Click on the Chrome user icon on the top corner, and in the drop down select the user associated with the Google Account you are trying to sign in to Chrome with."
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Still there?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

when I do that, it automatically goes to pages about me, (i.e. clark blaise, notXXX@XXXXXX.XXX) so I get about 40 pages of stuff about me, but not my email page.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Ok you will see a little 9 square box at the upper right. Cick on that and go to the Gmail icon, see picture:

graphic
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
The new layout on Google is annoying and hard to figure out so I feel your pain.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I tried it. There are 3 icons in the upper right, one of them a little brown bear, the other two more geometric. One of them has a drop-down screen with many (hundreds) of entries. But whenever I go for the Gmail, it immediately gives me back my "new" (clarkblaise 399) screen, or (in fact, first of all) a "clark blaise" screen that's about my books and speeches, etc. but not usable as a receiver or sender of emails

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Open Safari and go to the Safari logo next to the Apple logo in the upper left of your screen then go to Reset Safari... when the window pops up check all boxes and click on Reset then go to gmail.com again and sign in.
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
If you are confused with the new Google sites the other option is to open Mail in the Dock and add your account there for easy access.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.