David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional

I have a 10.5.8 and want to upgrade my system .. How do I

I have a 10.5.8 and want to upgrade my system ..
How do I do this ?
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

You can upgrade your Mac with Snow Leopard install discs, and then as long as the hardware in your iMac meets specifications, you can install the latest OS X which is a free download.

Your Mac is currently running Leopard, which means you can't go straight to the latest version without Snow Leopard installed.

Here is a link to the Mavericks System Requirements:

And the link to the product page for the discs which you will need:

Your iMac will also need a working DVD drive for the Snow Leopard install disc. Do you have any questions on any of this is anything else I need to know about the iMac?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi thanks.

So 1. I buy the disk , upgrade to Snow Leopard, and then try to get to Maverick.

If my system can't support Maverick ..

Can I upload to a higher than Snow Leopard? So I can atleast run my new fancy printer?

last question, will I loose any information on the upgrade with snow leopard? Do I need to back up my system or anything?

You should have a backup of any important data in the unlikely case anything goes wrong.

If it's an Mid-2007 or later, and has 2GB of RAM and 8GB of disk space, then it will install Mavericks.

Apple's App Store no longer has Lion available for download. To install it you would need to either have bought it already, or call Apple Store as they might be able to provide a redeemable download code.

The new printer will most likely have Maverick compatible drivers, and those will be the drivers that will be the most up to date going forward.

So there doesn't look to be any reason to purchase Lion as well as Snow Leopard, when you can go straight to Mavericks and it's free.

if there are any questions I will be happy to help.