Nick H.
Nick H., Mac Specialist
Experience:  Macbook, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, Mac Pro G5.

I have a 2008 macbook air with osx 10.8.5. The internet wont

I have a 2008 macbook air with osx 10.8.5. The internet won't connect. It says "wi-fi: no hardware installed" which is not true. How do I fix this?
Hello, and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you today.

I am sorry that your Macbook air is having problem with connecting to wifi. This seems to be a hardware failure. The wifi antenna board is faulty. However, we can do a quick reset.

Please do a PRAM reset as follow:
  1. Remove battery and press Power button for 20 seconds. Put battery back.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.
  7. Now check to see if wifi will work or not.

If not working, we can test in Safe Mode:

1. Shutdown (turn off) your Macbook Air.
  2. Press the Power button to turn on.
  3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
  4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon comes up.
  5. Your Mac will boot into Safe Mode.
  6. Test to see if wifi is working or not.

If still not working, the wifi antenna board is faulted. You will have to bring to a local Apple store or Apple repair shop to have it replaced. Usually it will cost about $80 for parts and labor.

Please reply back if you have any questions or concerns. Otherwise, kindly rate my answer so I can get credit. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Where is the battery?

Please bypass that step. Your Macbook air battery is inside. Please just shutdown your Macbook Air and then go to Step 2.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately these are the efforts we have already tried. I listed in my question that I had tried to make the wi-fi connection inactive. I would like to add new copy of my wi-fi connection, but do not know how to do this. I have seen on apple discussion boards that this is a software issue with the 10.8.5 Mountain Lion---not a hardware issue. How can I add a new copy of the wi-fi connection under settings?

Sorry I did not see that you already reset PRAM and did a SAFE MODE boot. That is why I asked you to test.

The issue we have here is very likely a hardware issue. I have seen this problem many times. Without a working antenna, you cannot add wifi connection. Because you will have to click on the Wifi icon on top and select Create Network. Since your wifi hardware is not working, click on that icon will not show you that option.

You can try and see if you can get option to create network.