Freddy M.
Freddy M., Computer Technician
Experience:  Years of experience in the IT field
15852642

Hi there. I have a macbook pro (model no. A1278, 2010) that

Hi there.

I have a macbook pro (model no. A1278, 2010) that went dead. It simply doesn't start. Its battery is not removable. Any ideas?

Sami
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
The battery on the A1278 actually can be replaced, does it start if you leave it connected to the power cable?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Freddy.

It doesn't start either way: connected or disconnected. When connected, the light on the power-cord is green, i.e. battery is full. I took out the back cover, and the label on the battery says it is not removable.

.
It is removable it is just not supposed to be replaced by anyone other than a technician when under warranty. Have you tried another charger? What you are describing sounds like either a failing charger or a dead battery that needs to be replaced.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried another charger (that works), and still it doesn't start. I also tried my charger with another macbook, and it works there.

If the battery is dead, then it should start when connected?

.
I was actually going to ask you if the same charger worked in another machine for that reason.
Even with a dead battery it should start up when the power cable is plugged in.

I really hate to tell you this but that unfortunately means the motherboard has failed and needs to be replaced.
You can get a replacement board from here: Click Here

If you bring it to a local technician instead of doing it yourself the part will cost between $80 and $100.
The labor should be about an hour and most technicians charge $65 to $75 per hour.

At the very most this should cost $200 to get fixed, any more than that and I would find another shop.
I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX could have given you better news.

If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know.

If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.

Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Mac, although I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX did I have no control over failing parts.
.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there a way to check? E.g. connect it to another MacBook and see?
.
The only way to check and be 100% sure is to replace the battery, but since it is not starting up with the power cable it is 99% certain the motherboard. Only 3 things can cause this, the cable, the battery, and the motherboard. We have already ruled out the cable by testing another. The battery is unlikely since the Mac doesn't start at all even with the power cable. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Mac, although I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX did I have no control over failing parts.

.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I won't take much of your time, but I am surprised (not to say disappointed). I have been using mac since 1992, and this is the first time this happens to me. How frequent this could happen?

How difficult it is to replace the board? Can I do it my self?

.
I completely understand the disappointment and wish I had better news for you. If you have never done it before I would not suggest doing it yourself because if it is done improperly other parts can get damaged as well. This type of failure is actually pretty common, and most computers have it happen within 3-4 years, on some machines it can happen in under a year. This problem applies to both PC's and Macs. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Mac, although I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX did I have no control over failing parts.

.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Freddy:

Just for information: The technician simply replaced the battery and it works now perfectly.

Regards