Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

Hello,I have a Mac G4 that I havent use in 5 years and

Customer Question

I have a Mac G4 that I haven't use in 5 years and I would like to revive it and bring it up to date and see if I can make it faster and do some up grades. First I forgot the password, I need to access it without losing any data. And up grade the Modzilla/Frefox, Aol/mail, yahoo/mail, etc. I'm more familiar with a PC because that is what I have been working with for the last 6 years.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

The G4 was a very good machine, I still have several.
The best that Mac can do is Tiger 10.4.x, a good OS X but Mac is now at 10.9.
That said to help you upgrade I need the serial number or the model number.

The model will start with an A, if you do not kow what either are then tell me about how old it is and what type.
An iMac flat screen, an eMac or tower.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dan,

Actually I am reviving 2 of them, the only Serial numbers that I can find are on the back, on he bar code label:

# XXXXX

#XB95111QHM1

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dan I downloaded CCleaner but its not the same operation as a PC

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Those are good numbers but Apple has gone MS and is making it hard to get info on them. I am looking though.

No, it will not help at all.
Can you boot them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I can boot one to the desktop and go online, etc, it just needs to be updated.

The other one boots to the sign in page

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you saying the CCleaner will not help. I was just going to use it to do a little cleaning and to remove some software

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Good, that makes it easier.

Look in the Apple menu on the one you can get to the desktop.
graphic
Then click more info and tell me what the model identifier is. That will help pin it down.
Those Macs are obsolete and that is what is making it hard to give good info.
Do you have any installation disks?
Getting rid of software is real easy on a Mac, just drag it to the trash, that is all it takes.
There is very good software to clean up the Mac, most of which is already there and just needs to be used.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OS X 10.2.8

400 MHz Power PC G4

Yes I do have some software

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
The best you can do with those is Tiger 10.4.11 if you can find a copy that is. Maybe on eBay.
I think the last release was 10.4.6

That one will work, I suggest backing it all up first using this software.

RAM may be a little harder to come by.
This is what is needed and the Mac will only use 1 GB.

PC-100 3.3v, unbuffered, 8-byte, non-parity 168-pin SDRAM
I suggest this site to buy it.

To reset the password XXXXX the Mac that you cannot sign into do this.
Boot from the installation disk by restarting it with the disk inserted by holding the letter C down.
Keep it down until the Apple appears then let go.
Now select language and at the next Welcome Screen will be a menu bar with Utilities in it.
From that select Password XXXXX Utility.
graphic
Follow the prompts.

Any OS X software you do get as retail will install on any Mac that can run it so multiple copies are not needed nor is activation.

I am signing off for the night but will be back in the AM. Please let me know if you would like me to clarify anything or you have more questions about this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I go to check my email I get a text message:

Yahoo recommends you upgrade your browser to enjoy all the features in the new Yahoo mail.

Firefox Optimized for Yahoo “Upgrade” and also for Safari Latest Version “Upgrade”

Then I click on to the Firefox upgrade and there is a new Firefox icon on the desktop but when I click on the new icon, it’s the same Firefox that opens and there is no difference with Yahoo mail.

Also I downloaded Google/Chrome and the icon is on the desktop but when I click on the icon, Google/Chrome does not open up as my browser.

The software I do have and can find right now is, Mac OS X Panther 10.3 (4 disks) and eMac Software Install and Restore. And 62 Mac Apps.

As far as the G4 and forgot password XXXXX don't know which installation disk is for that computer.

If I put this Mac OS X Panther 10.3 into both computers will they automatically upgrade?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

The absolute best those Macs can run is Tiger 10.4.11, no higher.
In the Windows world that is like that machine being able to run XP and no higher.
It does not have what is necessary to do the job nor can they run todays browsers.

These are PPC (power pc) processors not Intels.
What you have is one that looks like this.
graphic
And (I think) one like this.
graphic
I am familiar with both Macs, have them, good machines but not able to run current software, period.
If you are thinking of connecting them to the web and expecting fast you will be disappointed.
They cannot handle the graphics because the graphics cards are not built for it and Flash & Silverlight won't run either.

As for the installation disks you have they can be used to install on either Mac even if it did not come with that Mac.
As long as the Mac will boot from the disk it will install.
If it will not boot and tells you it cannot run on this Mac then a firewire cable will fix that issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dan,

I have the first one with the apple on the side. o are you saying I can't upgrade the browser to anything newer that was in operations 6 years?

Also someone gave me a G4 mirror doors, are you familiar with this one?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Not much difference between them, both are limited to 10.4.11 and any software that requires an Intel will not run. Most will not even install.
The story is the same for both, RAM can be maxed out and that will help but the processor is what limits them.
The Mirrored drive door will do better as it can run 10.5.8, depending on configureation, it came in three models.
Here are the specs for that one.

The browsers can be up to a point.Mozilla Firefox for Mac 25.0
That one should work.
That is as high as I think they can run, try it, can't hurt.

They are obsolete, a good classroom tool for grade school that web surfing is not important, they work very well there.
I own 6 eMacs and 6 iMac G4s in my wife's classroom, they do a great job and can get on the internet but the grahpics are slow.

I am not wanting to pop your bubble, all I am saying is do not expect too much from them.

I have one of the first iBooks Apple made from 1002, still runs but is very slow. I keep it because I like it but rarely use it.

Does any of this help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes all information helps.

In the Windows world that is like that machine being able to run XP, XP isn't bad not great but OK.

Can't they make some kind of external box that you can plug into the older Macs with a USB and the box would have what is needed to compensate or up to date world. It seems a shame to have to discard he entire computer.

Also when you same the most memory these can handle is 1GB, one of my G4's has 4 sticks in it, 2- 256mb and 2-128mb, how would I get up to 1GB, replace the 2-128mb with 2-256mb's?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Good analogy with XP. There is no external anything enable functions that aren't there.

There are some upgrades for those Macs that may still be available but few worked well.
What that means is it isn't cost effective as more time and money spent than they are worth.
I know many school teachers would love to have them but schools will not, just the teachers if you know of any.
Other charities could put them to good use also. If you do decide to 'donate' them wipe the drives and install the OS new.

Complete Installation

That will show you how.

The Mirrored Drive can handle 2 GB RAM, not bad.

4 - PC-2700 2.5v, unbuffered, 8-byte, nonparity 184-pin DDR SDRAM

The other one will take 1 GB.

4 - PC-100 3.3v, unbuffered, 8-byte, non-parity 168-pin SDRAM

Yes, the old goes out and the new goes in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dan,

You said There is very good software to clean up the Mac, most of which is already there and just needs to be used But you did not give me any instruction how to locate them and or use them?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Sorry.

Repairing Permissions

That is one.

Basic Maintenance This has that plus others things and then the pram reset.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys all together at the same time.

‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P' all together at the same time.

Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that your computer makes when it starts up, it is like a boonngg. The screen should also cycle from white to black and then back to white along with the chimes.

The sound should also get louder.

graphic

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.

This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

More than that is usually not needed but there is one that is worth every penny.

DiskWarrior 4

Helpful?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dan,

I did what you suggested to change the password XXXXX I did get one of the names changed. I guess I would do the same process to change the administrators password.

This G4 has OS 10.3.9

800MHz

1.19 GB SDRAM

this computer is faster than the other one.

I was having a problem trying to get online. I have Comcast and the computer ask for different information when setting up a internet connect that I'm not familiar with. Comcast has a user name a route password.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
That one can take another 300MB RAM as it is close to max now.
Tiger 10.4.11 is the highest OS X it can run providing you can find a retail copy of 10.4.x.

I suggest using an ethernet cable to get online, this bupasses all router names and passwords. 10.4 was more tolerant of WEP and should be able to sign in with the same SSID (network name) and password XXXXX using wireless.

I would change the admin password XXXXX letting you do what you want with non-admin accounts much easier.

Is this helpful Holly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dan,

I was able to get online this morning, I played with the computer and figure it out. Yes your information is helpful. I do have some more questions for you.

1). Can I take two of the memory sticks 256MB out of the other G4 and put them into this one, in order to get the max memory?

2). When I went to AOL mail it said to update the browser SAFARI and when I clicked on the link it directed me to Apple web site but there was no update to click on.

3). This computer has OS 10.3.9 so in order to get 10.4 I need a new Disk. Apple does not provide upgrades online?

4). I got a text box message when I go online that says: A keychain cannot be found to store Safari, then I have the option to: XXXXX XXXXX Reset to defaults. I assume I should pick reset to defaults, would this be correct?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Apple does not sell any version of OS X older than the last two or maybe three, yours not at all.
However, here is one at a very good price that will work on both those Macs.

Those Macs have 4 slots for RAM, you could replace the small one with the 256 and get a small gain but I am not sure how much it will help.
Add them up to get the best mix, paired is better than mixed if possible.
If, once you do this, you get beeps on startup replace the RAM as it was because a read error occurred.

The update at Apple is for a version of Safari that Mac cannot use.
This will upgrade to the latest Safari Tiger can use, do not do this for what you have now.

Yes, reset the Keychain to default, this is where OS X stores all passwords and is tied to the user name and password.
Anytime a password XXXXX XXXXX Keychain needs to be updated also.
There is no back door into the keychain so once locked out it requires a new keychain.

Long road but it is getting there Molly.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Holly, did you post something or did I miss something?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dan,

No, I didn't post anything, however I'm not clear in your explaination.

The G4 has:

DIMMO/J21 64MB

DIMMO/J22 128MB

DIMMO/J23 512MB

DIMMO/J24 512MB

Can I replace the 64MB and the 128MB with 2 - 256MB from the other G4?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can take the 64 and 128 and install two 256s from the other machine.
Anything bigger than 64 is a plus.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did manage to get connected

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Just got back from the Buffalo/Jets game, Bills won.
Holly can you tell me what you mean by 'got connected'?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i changed the administrator password, and then i couldn't get connected online but somehow i figured it out.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then all is well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dan,

I just opened the door of my Mac G4 mirror Door and noticed all the memory is missing. Is the maximum memory I can install would be 4 sticks of 512 MB?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
It has to have some or it would not run.
It can use 2 GB max. That is quite a bit and was considered really a lot when that Mac came out. At that time it was expensive, now much less so.
graphic

Here is where I buy RAM.
4-512 sticks will do fine.
That help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dan,

Thanks.

I went to the web site and I put :

PC-2700 (dual 1+) 2.5v, unbuffered, 8-byte, nonparity 184-pin DDR SDRAM

ito a search but noting came up.

Also I noticed that there are different MHz on the memory sticks, does that make a diference?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
It does and the URL was directly to RAM that will work in that Mac.

PC-2700 2.5v, unbuffered, 8-byte, nonparity 184-pin DDR SDRAM

That is what you want.
That Power Mac was the last of the G4s, next came G5s.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dan,

I found these online are they the same as the ones you recommend?

1GB Kit LOT 512 512MB x 2 PC2700 2700 333MHZ 333 Ram MEMORY desktop 184-PIN ddr

Thank you.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Here is where I buy my RAM, it matches exactly what your Mac needs.

The price is very good.

The ones you found look the same as far as I can tell. So it is your choice as to which you want.

Make sure you touch the metal case of the computer before you touch any component, this grounds any static electricity.
It takes very little to fry a chip.

Take your time Holly and thanks for getting back to me. Have a good Thanksgiving.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the info. I will keep your source in mind for future projects.

I found 2 GB for $12.98, 4 sticks 512 MB each, being that this computer is just about out of date I can't see spending a lot to try to get it running.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
What I sent was less but if your price includes shipping then go for it.
That Mac still has life even though it is somewhat limited.
I have some that are even older and still run great but are not able to keep up. Work well in my wife's classroom though.
RAM is about all you can do to beef it up and that will make a big difference.

Have A Merry Christmas also, Holly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it does include shipping.

But the ones you sent are a good price $11.49 for one stick of 512 MB and the ones I found are four sticks for $12.98 total not each. Yours would be $45.00 for four.

Thanks and you have a Happy Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dan,

Could tell me what this adapter is used for?

DVI-I (24+5) Pin Dual Link Male to HD 15 (VGA) Female

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
That is used to convert a DVI output port on your Mac to VGA for use with a monitor that will only accept a VGA input.
It allows the use of many older monitors.

Plug this adapter into your PC's DVI-I port, and then attach your VGA cable to the other side of the adapter. That's it! Simple installation goes quickly and allows you connect your VGA monitor to a newer video card that has DVI-I output.

How it works: The DVI port & adapter have pins that carry the VGA analog signal in addition to the DVI digital signal. (This type is called DVI-I.) So the adapter does not convert signals, it converts your port for use with a VGA cable (which can only carry the analog signal). It may be helpful to think of the adapter as a filter rather than a converter.

That help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Daniel,

Yes thank you.

I just received my 4 sticks of ram for the chrome door mac. They are new Kingston ram. They work except one slot isn't reading it, so I have to put the stick in and out and see what happens. How can I tell which one to take out, when I look at "more about this computer it shows J23 not reading, but they are not in order, I think it goes:

J21

J22

J23

J20

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
They should be labled on the circut board. It could also be a bad stick.
Put a small mark on each to keep track and try trading slots and see what happens, if you still show a bad one then I would suspect a bad stick.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dan,

I did trade the slots and when I got to the third slot the stick worked but it only says 256 MB could this be a wrong stick or a bad reading or a bad stick? The retailer said if the sticks don't work to install in and out several times and he would make it good if there is a problem. Oh yea it says the speed is 2600 is that normal?

Also what is the big round looks like a button above the on button?

Last, I don't see a button to open the CD ROM and I can't find in the computer where to open it.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Holly,
Could be dirty contacts in the slot, that is why you put it in and take it out more than once.

What speed is 2600 are you referring to?

That 'button' is the speaker. This might help understand that machine.

To open the drive you can use the Option+Eject key on the keyboard.
graphic
If you do not have an eject key then use F12.

You can add that to the menu bar by clicking View/Customize Toolbar.
graphic
graphic

You can do lots of mods this way.

That help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I pulled out the one stick again and it still reads only 256 MB.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX 2600 speed.

I open About this Mac / More Info / Memory

In the memory folder It list the 4 slots:

the Size (256 MB)

the Type (DDR SDRAM)

and the Speed (PC2600U - 25330

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
You bought PC2600? It uses PC2700.

If you installed anything else then it will give you problems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is what I bought:

They sent me 2600. Are you saying these will I will have problems with the computer if I use it with PC2600?

I am going to return them and get what I ordered.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Where did you get them? MacSales has never shipped me a substitue.
They also have a great return policy.
It may not harm you mMac but it won't do it any good either. It was designed for the 2700 not the 2600.
Very possibly it is a bad stick.
Let me know.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Please get them from here, they are guarantied and you know you are getting the correct ones.

This is where I buy RAM for myself, I know it works and if there is a problem they fix it.

That is what I recommend Holly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dan,

You had said the the mirrored door Mac came in three models, how can I tell which model mine is.

Also I took out the four sticks and changed rotation and now they all are reading 512 MB. And I talk to the supplier and he said they don't PC2600, could there be some problem in the computer reading the speed?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Holly, sorry, I have been away for the day.
As for knowing which one you have that info is in the System Profiler.
Select 'About this Mac in the Apple menu and click More Info.
graphic

I use this utility to help with things like RAM and such.

It has lots of info about every Mac ever made.
Click on Power Mac G3,G4,G5, they were made from 2003 - 2004.

As long as you are getting 512 on all it should not be an issue, I was just concerned that you may have gotten some bad ones.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dan, so the PC2600 is not an issue, is that what you mean?

Thanks.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
That is correct because it is working, not much difference from 2600 to 2700.
If you notice any kind of memory problems then you may want to consider a different source.

That is an obsolete Mac and no longer supported by Apple. However, it was and still is a good machine if outdated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dan,

Do they make these rams in 2600 or is there a problem with these rams?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
The 2600 and the 2700 are different speeds and your Mac was designed to use the 2700. The 2600 quite possibly will work but it is like putting a slightly different size whell on your car, it may work but it throws the rest of the car out of whack.
I still recommend the MacSales RAM, it comes in the 2700 speed and is what your Mac calls for.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you have a Merry Christmas

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Daniel,

I need your help, do you know anything about an iMac the one that looks like an upside down bowl? It turns on and in the middle of the screen is a folder with a blinking question mark? ? ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

H

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Daniel,

I picked up a Apple 17 inch Macbook Pro Model A1229 and its missing a power cord. Would you know which power cord it takes?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Holly, you know that those are two new questions. I was offline for a time but am back now.

I have 5 of those upside down bowls, good machines but old.
It cannot find a system to boot from. Or the drive is shot. I would try installing OS X 10.5.8 or older, that is as high as it will run.

As for the MacBook it needs this cord.

eBay may have one but it must be 85W MagSafe nothing lower.

You have a good Christmas?
Daniel, Mac Genius
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

And Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
That info help?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Yes

Expert:  Daniel replied 12 months ago.
Good, have a safe and happy new year.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Daniel,

An Apple PowerMac G5 do you know what's the highest OS it will take? I have a chance to pick one up at a cheap price that is missing a hard dive and a power cord.

Expert:  Daniel replied 12 months ago.
I have one, seldom use it, not a bad machine if a little noisie.
You could use this utility, it gives all the specs for every Apple ever built.
I use it all the time.
The G5 will run 10.5.8 max.
That help?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the link but it does not help, when I opened the web site I didn't any kind of search box to ask a question nor did I see anywhere were to find out about all the apples.

Where can I find all the OS's made to date?

What is 10.5.8 compared to, windows 7 or?

I see these G5's were very expensive when they were new.

Expert:  Daniel replied 12 months ago.
Download the utility by clicking the download button. There are two versions, Mac OS X and iOS for your mobile device.
Al of the OS X versions are listed in order and gives details about each.
OS X 10.5.8 compared to Windows of any version (in my opinion) wins hands down.
I feel that way about all versions of Mac OS and Windows, opinions vary from person to person.
Most Macs start off costly but as they become more capable they get cheaper.
I paid about the same money for an Atari 64, printer and cassette recorder as I did for my iMac i7.

But the G5s were expensive enough that only serious video people bought them.

Get the MacTracker utility, it has everything Apple in it.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Hi Daniel,

I'm in the process of installing OS X in my iMAC, once installed are the upgrades free, like X.1, X.2, X.3 etc.?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Daniel,

Does this iMac have wireless?

Expert:  Daniel replied 12 months ago.
The updates are free, only a new release costs anything. Like from 10.4 to 10.5 to 10.6, etc, incremental are updates such as 10.4.x or 10.6.x and so on.

Now a new version of OS X is only $20, best price for any OS.

Which iMac? If you mean the bowling ball then it does support wireless but may not have the hardware.
Look in System Profiler to see.
graphic

That help?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Is that what they call it Bowling Ball, it looks like an upside down bowl. I looked in the Airport Card and it said No Information Found, so I assume that this iMac does not have wireless.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Daniel,

My OS software is X.3, are there upgrades to this like, X.3.1, X.3.2 etc.?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I picked up a X.4.6 OS and then upgrade to X.4.11. But I still can't get Google Chrome. I see it requires X.6 OS. Is there a way to load X.6 in any of these Macs that I have?

Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.
Mac OS X comes in 10.something. As in 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, etc. In-betweens follow the 10.x.x.
Like Tiger is 10.4 and it has from 0 to 8 as in 10.4.8.
The iMac that you are talking about can run is 10.4.11 max, it will not run 10.6.x.
Chrome will not run, period.
I personally do not like Chrome, don't trust it. I use Safari exclusively.
Once one turns on Develop for the menu bar it can emulate most other browsers, this makes it compatible with all websites.
graphic
Click on Advanced and check this box.
graphic
Now you will have this in the menu bar.
graphic

I use that all day, every day.

That help Holly?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Daniel,

I can't find: "Show develop menu in menu bar" in the advanced window and I can't seem to find out how to upgrade my Safari, right now I'm running on Safari version 3.0.4.

Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.
Is the iMac connected via ethernet to the web?

First look in 'About this Mac' and tell me what OS X it has.
It will look like 10.something.something.

Then repair permissions.

Repairing Permissions

If it is connected then in the Apple menu select Software update. Run that until you run out of updates.
It will bring everything up to the max for that Mac including Safari.

Then open Safari preferences as shown in the images, it is there, trust me.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have : 10.4.11 OS and 512 MB ram, I clicked on the Repairing Permissions and nothing happened except a window opened explaining how to get to disk utility and when I finally got there in disk utility it does not look anything like what you showed me. It says select a disk volume, or image, what do I do?

It was extremely hard to get into my email.

I did open with the spotlight and it didn't show Safari, restore and license.

I did repair a couple of things in the disk utility.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I ran the updates twice today but I'm still unable to update Safari???

Oh yes the Mac is connected through Ethernet.

I did run the update program several times and was able to upgrade safari to 4 . something.

My yahoo email is better and I'm able to open it, still a little slow. If the ram can be increased will that help?

Thank you.

Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.
RAM always helps. There is a cover plate on the bottom held by 4 captive screws. Under that is where the Airport card would go and where there is a slot for extra RAM.

The link for MKascTracker is above if you have not downloaded it.

Look that model up in MacTracker to see what the specs are for RAM, you can find an Airport card for it on eBay but make sure you match it to the machine.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Daniel,

I was going to order the Apple 85W MagSafe Power Adapter (17-inch MacBook Pro) that you suggested but I found out there are two kinds of adapters where the end that plugs into the computer are different. One plugs straight in and the other is on a 90 degree, I guess they call it the L tip.Does it make a difference which one I use?

Thank you.

Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.
Same, same as for function, I like the 90deg because it is smaller.
That help?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Daniel,

I just received the power cord for the MacBook Pro Laptop that I picked up and I plugged the cord in it. I turned on the laptop and it goes to the grey screen with the Apple Logo and the spinning thing turning and it won't boot completely. I pressed the button on the battery and the battery is only charged to one green light, its being charged right now.

I found these on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4re576dG2Q

Comand "R" power

Disk Utilities (continue)

Macintosh HD

Verify

_______________________________________________________

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20UdzbvcLuU

Shift + Control + Option + Power

__________________________________________________

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_cTHBUDCNM

Command + R

What do you recommend????

Thank you.

Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.
These are the availble key combos for startup for Intel Macs, you have one of those.
graphic

No 'Shift-Control-Option-Power, does nothing.
I do recommend resetting the pram, never hurts.
Command R should get you to the reovery disk.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

What happens when you do Command R it recovers the OS?

Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.
This explains it better than I can.

In short it will recover the OS X that is on the machine be it Lion, Mountain Lion or Mavericks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

This laptop is not connected to the net yet, will the command R still work?

I don't remember the password, etc.,I'm gonna have to find them

Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.
No, it needs to be connected. However, if you have wireless it will find it, you will need the wireless password.
We need to start a new thread because this one is getting very long and errors out.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

i did command R and nothing happened

Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.
Please tell me exactly how and what you did.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I held the command key and the R key down and then I pressed the power button, I held the two keys down until the apple logo came up. Then nothing, the wheel froze.

When that didn't work I took the battery out disconnected the power cord, took out the 2 sticks of RAM and switched them then I held the command key and the R key down and then I pressed the power button, this time I hear one long beep and then the chime and then the apple logo came up and the turning wheel and then the wheel froze.

Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.
1 long tone usually means an EFI ROM update is in progress.
What year was the MacBook Pro made? If it is pre 2008 you will need a recovery CD to restore the EFI ROM. Newer Mac recover automatically from corrupted ROM.
When this happens a progress bar will appear along the botom of the screen.

I think that there is a hardware issue that needs a hands on tech to diagnose, I suspect the hard drive and to test it needs a different boot volume such as an install DVD or OS X on an external drive that is compatible with that Mac.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I think its 2007

Will any OS X disk work? Do I just put the disk into the DVD slot in the front panel?

Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.
No, just any OS X disk will work, it has to be Tiger 10.4.9 or newer up to Snow Leopard 10.6.6. Plus, unless it came with the Mac, it has to be a retail version. Other than that any will work.
Kind of like you can have any color you want as long as it is black.
Or, you can boot from any external hard drive that has any of those versions of OS X on them including any othe Mac computer and a firewire cable.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

OK, How do you tell if its a retail version?

And can the retail version go into the laptop or is a external hard drive required?

Thank you.

Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.
It can be installed universally on any Mac that can run that version of OS X.

No, the external is not required as long as the internal drive is ok.

That help?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

OK what I understand is the retail version can be installed universally on any Mac , is this correct, if yes how can you tell if a disk can universally be installed on any Mac?

Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.
It will not be grey in color, depending on version it can be black, red, rainbow or purple.
Newer will install better than older.
OS X goes from 10.0.0 up to 10.9.1, you need Tiger 10.4.0 as a minimum and Snow Leopard 10.6.6 as a maximum.

Rason is an OS older than the Mac will not install, different hardware specs, newer than the hardware can handle also holds.

In the MacTracker it tell what Mac came with what OS and how much higher it can use.
That help?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Daniel,

I looked at EFI ROM videos on YouTube last night and everyone I saw the screen had a pad lock on it and they were talking about the password, my laptop does not have a pad lock on the screen. I pressed command R again and held them don't until the spinning wheel showed and I heard a off and on rapid bong sound, never ever heard that sound before.

Also last night I tried Shift during start up and a progress bar appeared along the bottom of the screen and then it went away and it did the same thing the spinning wheels froze..

Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.
Ok, try this but make sure to get the exact cahracters and spaces.

1. Reboot/Startup holding your Command-S key down.

2. At the command line type the following and hit 'Return.'

/sbin/fsck -fy (space between the k and the -)

3. If it finds a problem and repairs it, immediately run fsck again until the drive checks OK.

4. After it has check/repaired your disk, type 'reboot' and hit 'Return' again.

Let me know.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

OK, if I understand you correctly you want me to hold the command key and the S key down then press the power button to turn on and if the Box appears then type:

/sbin/fsck -fy

(space between the k and the -)

Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.
Yes, this runs a repair on the hard drive. It may not solve this but it can't hurt.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I did it three times shall i keep on doing it

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

the volume appears to be ok

Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.
That should be enough. I am closing this thread of question, it is becoming way to long and is getting hard to follow. Post a new question addressed to me.
Click that link to do so directly.
We will pick up here Holly.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

how shall i get out of this position, it just keeps doing the same thing?

I tried to start a new thread the other night

Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.
Click the link I just sent, please
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

THE LINK DOES NOT WORK I JUST GET A BLANK WINDOW

Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.
www.askdaniel.info Try that one.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Hi Daniel,

These Mac G4's that I have are they equipped for wireless connection?

Expert:  Daniel replied 7 months ago.

Yes, Holly it can.

Sorry, I have been away, my father in law is on his way home and we have been gathered to wish him a fond farewell.

It requires an optional Airport card, the 802.11 a/g.

Wi-Fi Capable Macs - AirPort (802.11b) & AirPort Extreme (802.11g, 802.11a, 802.11n) - Macs By Capability @ EveryMac.com

Or you can use a third party such as this, I have one of these and find it performs very well and costs no more.

BearExtender Mac - USB Wireless Signal Booster Antenna - 802.11n WiFi – BearExtender

I hope that helps.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Thanks Daniel, yes it does help. Can you identify where the Airport Card goes in the G4, so I can see it any of these machines might have one in it and is the G5 the same?