Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.

Hi, Ive installed Mavericks on my MacBookPro and Ive added

I've installed Mavericks on my MacBookPro and I've added memory so I'm up to 8GB so everything should be working fine.

In AppleMail, when I hit send, I don't get the whoosh sound any longer. If I'm not looking at the screen, that sound tells me my mail went out successfully.

I've checked under Preferences and the box for "Play Sounds for Other Email Actions" is checked.

How can I get the whoosh back?

Holly
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 8 months ago.

Michelle :

Hi, and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

Hi Holly!.There are a few things we can try to help resolve you mail issue. First in Mail, Open up your preferences by going Clicking on Mail in the top menu bar and choosing preferences

Customer:

Hi Michell,

Customer:

Ok, I have Preferences ready in Mail

Michelle :

Click on the General Tab

Michelle :

Under New message sounds, is there a check mark next to Play sounds for other mail actions?

Customer:

Yes

Michelle :

Uncheck it and then change New message sound to None from the drop box

Michelle :

Then Close Mail

Michelle :

Next, Click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose system preferences.
1. Click on Sounds
2. Under Sound Effects, make sure " User interface sound effect" is checked
3. Lastly, make sure the mute button at the bottom right corner is not check .

Open mail and send an email to yourself

Michelle :

Im sorry Holly, I missed a step. open mail again an Go back into Mail preferences and check the Play Sounds for Other Email Actions and change message sound back to new message sound

Customer:

Ok got it.

Customer:

did what you said. when I sent email to self, no sound

Michelle :

Okay lets open disk utility and repair your permission. Before we do that, you check back Play Sounds for Other Email Actions. Correct?

Customer:

And, volume on laptop is up plenty loud

Michelle :

Click on the apple logo in the upper right corner and type in disk utility

Michelle :

Magnifying glass**

Customer:

when you click on the apple loge, you can't type things in

Michelle :

Im so sorry. I meant magnifying glass in the upper right corner

Customer:

OK

Michelle :

When disk utility is open, Choose Macinstosh HD and then choose repair permissions

Customer:

ok. I've done Repair Permissions before. I'll do it again.

Michelle :

Oh if you did that, we can skip it. Have you reset your computers PRAM yet?

Michelle :

If after you reset your PRAM and your issue still persist, we can reset Mail

Michelle :

Reset PRAM

1.Shut down the computer.

2.Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3.Turn on the computer.

4.Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears. Let computer chime 4 times

5.Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6.Release the keys.

Michelle :

You may be a little wrapped up right now, so I will leave you with a few more things to try after resetting your PRAM.
1. Click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose system preferences
2. Choose Energy saver, Under both batter and power adapter, uncheck enable power nap

Michelle :

If all of the above options still leave you without sound, you will need to reset mail (you will not lose any data)
1. Close Mail and Open Finder
2. Choose Go from the top menu bar
3. Select Go to Folder
4. Paste or type this in ~/Library
5.
Locate the Containers folder
6. Locate com.apple.mail folder
7. Click on Data
8. Click on Library
9. Click on preferences
10. Locate and delete com.apple.mail.plist

Customer:

Sorry for the delay.

Customer:

Really??? That's 10 steps.

Customer:

Are you sure that's OK?

Michelle :

Try to reset your PRAM First. Then I will walk you through the rest

Michelle :

Have you reset the PRAM First? That normally fixes sound issues

Michelle :

Here is the instructions on how to reset your PRAM

1.Shut down the computer.

3.Turn on the computer.

6.Release the keys.

Customer:

I did reset PRAM , but like two years ago.

Customer:

OK, I'll do the PRAM thing first.

Customer:

I'll let you know when I'm done.

Michelle :

Ok, I will be here when you get back

Michelle :

Make sure it chimes 4 times

Michelle :

Also Holly, there is a mail software update released today. It just popped up in the App store. After resetting your PRAM, click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose software updates

Customer:

OK, I will. Mail needs an update!

Customer:

Wrote down the directions. OK, I'm going in lol

Michelle :

Okay good luck :)

Customer:

Alrighty, whoosh sound is back.

Customer:

thank you for your help.

Customer:

Now I'll check on the new Mail app

Michelle :

Yay! Im glad that worked. Yes, check for the update.. I know a lot of users have been complaining about mail issues so I hope this update will help any future issues

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.