Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Mac Expert, 7+ years of experience in installation and trouble shooting of mac osx and apps

my mac pro book web cam is not working right.When I go on Skype

my mac pro book web cam is not working right.When I go on Skype it stays on for a few seconds then freezes, can't figure it out
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 5 months ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

First safeboot the mac. Safebooting will fix disk, file and permissions related erros. To start up into Safe Mode (to Safe Boot), do this:

Be sure your Mac is shut down.
Press the power button.
Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear). If you need to enter a password XXXXX login, type the password XXXXX hold down the Shift key and press Enter

Now open skype and check wheather problem is happening or not. If not, restart and boot normally. Check the result.

regards
Jins
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I'm going to try what you said. How do I contact you if that doesn't

work?

You can book mark this page and can post a reply after the restart. Otherwise you can go to www.justanswer.com and can login with your registration id and password. Then click on My Questions link. There you will able to find this question lnk. Click on it and post your reply.

regards
Jins
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I followed your instructions, I can't log on because it just says I can only log on as GUEST USER. It used to show GREAT GUY or GUEST user to log on as, but now there is only GUEST USER as an option. now what??

Okay, login to that guest user account and check the result. Then after rebooting login to your user account and check the result.

regards
Jins
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I'm in as a guest, and can't operate because there is nothing there; when I open my acccount as myself - if I go to MY Documents, there is nothing there in regards XXXXX XXXXX It has icons but nothing about me; everything is blank; no files, because i am a guest. how do I get back to my account?

Okay, restart the system and boot normally. You will able to login to your user account. Now, open skype and check the result.

regards
Jins
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

ok see what happens.. hold for response.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

it still just coming up as guest user.

• Reboot your mac, hold down Command R just as it chimes (or just as it starts up if you have volume off)
• Select "Terminal" from the Utilities menu
• Type resetpassword XXXXX hit Return
• Select root and enter a root password
• Go to Apple Menu > Restart
• Log in as root using the password XXXXX just created
• Go in System Preferences > Users & Groups
• Create a new Administrator account using the same exact short name and password XXXXX your old user account (same capitalization of short name is important)
• When you accept it will say "The Users folder already contains a folder with the same name as the home folder for this account"
• Select "Use Existing Folder" (and wait for a while if you have a lot of files
• Log out or reboot and you should see your old user there, try logging in and check the result.

regards
Jins
You may not see anything while you type the password. Because it is a password. Type it correctly and hit enter.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

there is no where to type the password XXXXX the point.

Did you get the Terminal window ? If not click on Utilities and then Terminal to open terminal window.

regards
Jins

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

yes

Now on the terminal window, type resetpassword and press Enter
Then Select root and enter a root password.
Restart the machine and login as Root.

regards
Jins
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

after i did resetpassword XXXXX pressed enter; a line appears that says BASH reset password XXXXX not found. than I did the root thing and the command not found appears.

Okay, then please type the following command

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

and press Enter.

Type reboot and press Enter

This will take allow you to create a fresh account with admin privilages. Then login to that account and

regards
Jins

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

there is no where to type that command

You should type it on the Terminal window.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

there is nothing showing any typed command as i type it.

Is there a # XXXXX a cursor blinking on that terminal window ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

no

This should be asked first, which version of Mac you are using ? Do you have the installation disk with you ?

regards
Jins
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I don't know the answer to that . I can't deal with this right now;this is frustrating. I'll come back to this issue later.

I can understand it. But, actually, the user profile folder of your system is corrupted and that is why you are not getting the option to login to the user account.

If you have the installation disk, please use Disk Utility to Repair Disk and the Repair Disk Permissions. It will fix the issue. Check this tutorial to see how to use disk utility for these functions.

If it not helps, you need to re-install mac osx. Your files and settings will not be touched as long as you don't specifically tell the installer to erase them. Follow below steps to re-install osx.

1. Insert your Mac OS X Install DVD or Installation Disc 1.
2. Restart the computer and hold down the letter "C" as the computer starts up.
3. Continue to hold down the letter "C" until you see a grey screen with an Apple and a small spinning gear.
4. Select your language on the Welcome to the Mac OS X Installer screen and click "Continue".
5. Click "Continue" on the following screen.
6. After reading the Software License Agreement, click "Agree".
7. Select the volume to which you are going to install. "Macintosh HD" is the default name.
8. Click the "Options" button in the bottom corner of the window and select your installation type.
9. Click "OK" and then "Continue". You will be presented with a confirmation window at which point you can click "Install" to proceed.

I am sure re-install will fix the issue. Try and let me know the result.

Regards
Jins

Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience: Mac Expert, 7+ years of experience in installation and trouble shooting of mac osx and apps