Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

I just deleted by mistake on my i phone 3 on the Notes app

I just deleted by mistake on my i phone 3 on the 'Notes' app one of my notes!
It's a really important list I made HOW CAN I retrieve it?? Pleaaasse help!!??
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Michelle :

Hi, and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you with your issue, I will need additional information. Are you referring to the Notes app that was pre-installed? The reason I ask is because the pre-installed notes app can not be deleted

Michelle :

.

Michelle :

Try doing a search on your phone. Swipe your thumb from left to right until you get to the search field. Type in Notes.

Customer:

Customer:

Hi the app is still there I deleted one of my 9 note pages in the notes app.

Customer:

It just happend by mistake

Customer:

now I got only 8 left and the most important one is gone

Michelle :

Oh ok I understand now. Do you know if your iphone is backed?

Customer:

I went to i tunes on my computer and clicked 'don't sync my phone automatically'

Customer:

then I went to info and then to advanced

Customer:

but I could not click the notes they were gray

Michelle :

In iTunes, Go to preferences and then choose device. Are there any backups listed there?

Customer:

I don't understand that I thought my phone was backing up automatically with i cloud all the time!

Michelle :

So you are using iCloud. Then you may be fine. On your phone, go to Settings<iCloud

Customer:

I last connected my phone to itunes today at lunch but when I went to resore backup it says the last backup was on the 25/8!

Michelle :

You said you were backing up to iCloud. One your iphone click on settings and then choose iCLoud

Customer:

oh no i did that and in i cloud the notes backup is ticked as 'off' is that it have I lost it all or is it somewhere in the trash on the phine?

Michelle :

Im sorry but if Notes is turned off, then that means it was not backed up to icloud

Michelle :

Lets double check, Click on storage and backup at the bottom

Customer:

hm that sucks hey can you help me with another thing

Michelle :

Sure

Michelle :

Whats up

Customer:

I got i cloud 'contacts' turned ON but on my mac the contacts DONT UPDATE to my contacts address book which is really unhandy

Michelle :

Lets check your settings. BTW, the notes app on your Mac, are the notes deleted from there too. iCloud should update both devices

Customer:

I don't have a notes app on my mac but I activated the notes now on i cloud by making a i cloud email address not sure why I had to do that but it worked

Customer:

Why are some notes backed up to gmail and others are not?

Customer:

Unfortunatly the ONE I NEEDED MOST was not backed up to gmail

Michelle :

That means you choose GMAil as the default account. Go into settings on your phone, click on notes. Under default account, change it to icloud

Michelle :

When you are done with that, we will check your contacts settings

Customer:

you can only choose gmail OR on my phone?

Customer:

So I choose on my phone so it backs up to i cloud?

Michelle :

iCloud should be an option. Make sure it is checked in your iCloud settings

Customer:

nightmare so no way of getting that note out of the ytrash?

Michelle :

No, I'm sooooooo sorry. I wish there was a way.

Customer:

my contacts are being 'on' on i cloud but they don't appear in my 'address book' app on my mac

Customer:

You are nice

Michelle :

Are they On in settings on your Mac? Open system preferences and choose iCloud

Michelle :

Thank you :)

Michelle :

Were you able to pull up your iCloud settings within system preferences?

Customer:

Hi yes they were selected and I was trying to log out of i cloud and now although calendar is selected it says it will delete calendar on my mac and unless I agree I cant sign out?!

Customer:

I have one more idea, my last I cloud backup was at lunch time yesterday how can I restore an i cloud back up onto my hone it won't ket me do it it only lets me restore the last computer back up which was in August

Customer:

Good news the contacts are now backed up in my address book!

Michelle :

. You can restore from your iCloud backup by restoring your phone via your phone and not from your computer. Go to settings<General<reset<Erase all contents and settings

Michelle :

Ok good! Now lets see if we can resurrect your notes

Michelle :

After you have erased your phone, it will ask you if you would like to restore from iCloud backup ]

Customer:

is it safe to erase it all? what about my other notes?

Customer:

only 4 of the 8 are backed up on gmail for some reason

Michelle :

They are should be backed up. Before you do that, please double check. Go to settings<iCloud. Scroll down to storage and backup Under backup now, make sure it is current. Since the 4 notes technically may not be apart of the backup, you can copy and paste them into an email and send it to yourself just incase

Customer:

ok have emailed them all to myself will reset now argh

Michelle :

Ok

Customer:

they were not backed up in i cloud yet for some reason..??

Michelle :

Thats fine, you emailed them to yourself. Just make sure icloud backed up your phone

Michelle :

You mentioned it did yesterday

Customer:

yes but not notes..

Customer:

just erasing everything

Customer:

the question is why did I need to have an i cloud email address???

Customer:

This is our last chance after that BED it's 12.30am here what time is it where you are?

Michelle :

Your iCloud email address is your Apple ID. It needs your Apple ID so you can sign into icloud and backup. I'm in NY , its 8:32 Am

Michelle :

How far is the progress bar underneath the apple logo?

Customer:

Hm I thought my apple id always was my gmail email address?

Customer:

do I now have 2 apple id's

Customer:

it's restoring...

Customer:

Cool I am in Byron Bay Australia Paradise pretty much

Customer:

you are so helpful

Michelle :

I see what you are saying. During the initial setup, you had the option of using your Apple ID or if you could create an iCloud account. I could kill for Paradise right now!! Thank you so much

Customer:

gosh how long cant

Customer:

can this take??

Michelle :

The restore should take about 8-10 mins before getting to the welcome screen

Customer:

why is it winter there? Yes it must be its summer here

Michelle :

Its Fall. The whether is up and down. Some days is 30 degrees and other days is 50 or 60

Customer:

what can go wrong now? I feel tempted to go to bed and pay you your well earned money!

Michelle :

I would at least fill comfortable walking you through restoring from iCloud. Its totally up to you. After we end our chat, you can still chat with me. Basically during the setup stage, it will ask you if you would like to restore from itunes backup, icloud backup or setup as a new phone. Choose iCloud backup and sign in using the same account used to backup. It will then show you a list of current backups choose the current backup and restore

Customer:

ye done all that it says 9 mins left

Michelle :

Ohhh so you are restoring from the icloud backup already? Oh then its just a waiting game. That was fast! Can you hold on for 10 more mins or are your eyes getting heavy

Customer:

It's safer to hold on I am dead

Michelle :

Ha ha Ok. I will stand by

Customer:

I will do some kitchen clean up and ne back on here in 7 minutes otherwise I am falling asleep!

Michelle :

Okay, I will be here

Michelle :

How is it going so far?

Customer:

It's still going! Says 4 minutes

Michelle :

Ok

Customer:

Michelle THIS will teach us ALL

Customer:

I got my to do list BACK!!!!!!!!

Customer:

It's a miracle let me kiss you

Michelle :

YAY!!!!!!

Michelle :

Im soooo excited it worked out!! You will sleep lovely tonight :)

Customer:

I will email it to myself right away

Customer:

it was lovely to do business with you!

Michelle :

Sounds like a plan. Have a wonderful night! It was a pleasure

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.