Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  HNC Computing, CISCO certified technician.
30970729

recovering excel spread sheet

Customer Question

I have been working on an excel spreadsheet. I have saved it frequently and recently saved it after accidentally deleting half of the sheet. Can I go back to previously saved spreadsheets? I did not have time capsule activated.

Category: Mac
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

You can go back to some of the previously saved versions of the file if you had Autosave turned on. This feature is available if you are using OS X Lion and above.

To find out if Autosave is turned on, click Preferences on the Excel menu.

Then, under Sharing and Privacy, click Save. Here, you can check if the AutoSave or AutoRecover check box is enabled, along with how frequently the workbooks are saved.

If Autosave is available and turned on, you can recover your files using the Finder, from /Users/ username/Library/Application Support/ Microsoft/Office/Office 20xx AutoRecovery.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Autosave is on, But i cant find the file to access it.

Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi Kramer,

If the autosaved file is available, it will be in the location shown. If the file was last opened and not saved before closing, then the recovery files will have been deleted.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Autosave is on, and the file was opened and saved again after accidentally deleting. There is only one word document in the recovery file. From what i am seeing

Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

If there is only one document showing, and it is not the one you need, then unfortunately the autosave feature has not saved your required document for some reason.

If autosave did not work, then the only other way to retrieve the spreadsheet would be from a backup of an older version of the file.

Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience: HNC Computing, CISCO certified technician.