Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech
Experience:  Support Mac laptops, desktops, & iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc.

I have a late 2009 imac running Snow Leopard. I just purchased

I have a late 2009 imac running Snow Leopard. I just purchased a Linksys E2500 router to replace an aging Belkin. Since I have replaced the router the windows on my network can access the internet just fine. The imac either will not display certain sites like yahoo, google or youtube, yet other sites that have been bookmarked such as an auto parts site come up just fine. I will have to take the router back but have no idea if I will have similar problems with a different model.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 8 months ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you tell me the exact version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

10.6.8

Thanks, Bob.

In the Finder, click the "Go" item in the menu bar at the top of the screen and choose "Utilities"

Locate and open "Terminal"

At the prompt type the following then press return;
dscacheutil -flushcache

When the prompt returns, close Terminal and then Restart your Mac.

See if the situation has improved.

If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website, the price, or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

That did not help.

Did this make a difference to the sites that could previously be browsed?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

They still work. The loading of the pages is not real fast. About the same as before.

Okay,

Open Terminal once more. At the prompt type the following then press return;

ping yahoo.com

You should see something similar to the following. Press Control-Z to stop the ping if it continues beyond 5 or 6 lines. Please paste back to me what it says.

PING yahoo.com (98.138.253.109): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 98.138.253.109: icmp_seq=0 ttl=50 time=79.247 ms
64 bytes from 98.138.253.109: icmp_seq=1 ttl=50 time=80.924 ms
64 bytes from 98.138.253.109: icmp_seq=2 ttl=50 time=73.386 ms
64 bytes from 98.138.253.109: icmp_seq=3 ttl=50 time=74.851 ms

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I am not on the mac sending you these messages.

The reply is very similar to what you have above with the times in the mid-70's ms.

Okay... and you are unable to visit yahoo.com from Safari, correct?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Correct. The blue bar goes about an inch or so and just stops. Some of the sites appear after several minutes but yahoo never seems to appear.

For instance I entered www.justanswer.com and the blue bar in the address went all the across the screen but the then website did not appear until about 2 minutes later.

It's an odd problem because going by the ping the router is doing it's job and the iMac is capable of contacting the site.

If you repeatedly refresh the page does it ever go any further?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I just tried to go to yahoo about 5 minutes ago. The bar finally progressed to about 1/2 way. Then it finished the last 1/2 in just a couple of seconds, but only a fraction of the page is displayed right now. Just a couple of text fields are showing. The little revolving circle in the address bar just keeps spinning with no new output.

Are you able access and run the speed test at http://www.speedtest.net/?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

It accessed the site OK but either wanted me to register to see the results or prompted me to download some software to speed up the mac.

I went to cnet and ran their test. Came in around 5Mbit/sec.

Hmmm, curious as I don't get that here.

How does the speed compare to your other computers?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I just tried it with this win7 machine which is also wireless to the same router. Download speed was a little under 5Mbit/sec. I went to speedtest.net and got about the same thing. The mac never fully loaded the speedtest web page so I could not see what to click other than the button prompting to help speed up my mac...

Okay,

Restart your Mac

As soon as you hear the Startup chime, press and hold the SHIFT key

Continue to hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator.

Then, let go of the Shift key and let it boot to the Desktop (it may take longer than usual so please be patient).

Any difference?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Well that was interesting. It booted but I waited for the wireless indicator at the top of the screen to complete and it is just blank. I clicked on it and it indicated No Airport card installed. Trying to run safari results in a message that I'm not connected to the internet. I expected that.

Running network diagnostics results in all red lights indicating Airport has failed an now the little circle indicator is busy looking for networks.

Hmmm, it's surprising the wireless would not work in Safe Boot Mode.

Restart the Mac

As soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the following keys;

COMMAND, OPTION, P, R

Hold them until you hear the chime a second time and then release the keys and allow the Mac to boot normally.

Power off the Mac.

Unplug the Mac's power cord.

Wait fifteen seconds.

Attach the Mac's power cord.

Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the Mac back on.

Any improvement?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

No. Did it twice because I messed up the first time.

Okay,

I'm running out of ideas on the Mac side so I'm going to opt out and see if another expert has any fresh ideas that I'm overlooking.

Please don't reply back until another expert responds or it might delay the process for you.

Good luck!
Expert:  Viet - Mac Tech replied 8 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Please disconnect the power cords from the modem/router for a few minutes, then reconnect, then do the followings:

1. Please go to the Apple logo / menu, then select System Preferences -> Network.
  2. Select the connected item.
  3. Click Advanced.
  4. Click the DNS tab.
  5. Click the + button to add:
    8.8.8.8
    8.8.4.4
  6. Click OK / Apply.
  7. Then check; restart the computer if needed.

If needed, open Safari browser
- In the top menu bar, click Safari
- Click EMPTY CACHE
- Click the Empty button
- In the top menu bar, click Safari again
- Click Reset Safari
- Select all boxes
- Click Reset

, then check.

If needed, from the working computer, please download and save the Firefox for Mac software at the website below:

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/

, then transfer over via a USB drive

, then install Firefox on the mac computer

, then open Firefox and go to websites in Firefox and see if it works fine in Firefox.

If needed, if you remove the router, and connect the mac computer straight to the modem, do websites work fine?

Please let me know if there is still any issue. Thank you,

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

That worked! The interesting thing is I already had the 8.8.8.8 address in there but it wasn't until I added 8.8.4.4 that it started working.

Great job on your part!

Great. We need two servers/IP addresses, so that when one is down or slow, the computer would use the other one. If you need anything else, please let me know any time. Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service below? Thank you.
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech
Experience: Support Mac laptops, desktops, & iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc.