James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience:  Mac Expert
24111805

Where is the best place to talk into an iPad or an iPhone for

Where is the best place to talk into an iPad or an iPhone for dictation with Siri? Where are the microphones located on an iPhone 5s and iPad air?
Category: Mac
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I appreciate the oppurtunity to assist you today.
I will do my best to answer your question!

The main microphones are located on the bottom of the ipad/iphone.
There additional noise cancelling microphones, but they are less important.

For dictation, it is best to speak with your mouth directed to the center of the screen.

I hope this helps!

If you have any other questions or need more information, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond!
I'd appreciate it if you can rate my service using the faces below my answer.

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you on the iPad is the little microphone next to the front facing camera on top a noise canceling microphone?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

No - on the iPad the little thing next to the camera is a light sensor, it is not a microphone.

On the iPhone, the microphone is on the bottom - next to the speaker and charge port.
On newer ipads (3rd gen and above) the microphone is on the top right bezel (top of the device, on the right).

Hope this helps!

Kindly rate me below, thanks!

J.
James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience: Mac Expert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FYI The information about the iPad air microphones are wrong ,on the iPad air the microphones are at the top on the back
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

This is eactly what I told you - an iPad Air is a newer iPad, and I said:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is in the top center back, where are you getting your information? It's not on the top right
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry - I meant it is on the top bezel, of the device, towards the right or back whe you are holding it facing you.
It is designed for best reception when you speak towards the center of the screen.

Thanks,

J.