David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional

My computer keeps jumping to previous screens, it is a mac

My computer keeps jumping to previous screens, it is a mac 10.8.3 and uses osx and firefox and safari to browse
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

Do you have this problem in FireFox and Safari?

Is this problem only happening in your web browser when browsing the Internet?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I have the problem on Firefox and Safari and it frequently jumps back to previous screens whenever I am on any site, I can be filling in a form/writing an e mail/message/paying for something and it just jumps back to a previous screen, I then lose whatever info I had just put in

Hi Alice,

This will be a difficult issue to troubleshoot as it is seemingly random. How often does this happen? Is it possible to recreate the issue whenever you want?

One thing that springs to mind is that it could be accidental trackpad input. Are you using a portable that has a trackpad below the keyboard?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It does seem entirely random. I'm using a portable mouse that works on wifi.

The screen does not always jump on the arrow capital command but sometimes it does. I have also known it jump when pressing return

Hi Alice,

Does the mouse have extra buttons? What make and model is it?

Also when you say portable, do you mean it is a portable computer or just the mouse?

Please click the Apple in the top left and click 'About This Mac'. What does it say your version of Mac OS X is?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The only button the mouse has is a tiny on/off power switch on the back.

The mac isn't portable. It's a late 2012 27" screen. OS X, version 10.8.3

Processor 3.2GHZ, Core 15 with an 8g memory

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

And the back comes off the mouse to replace the batteries

Hi Alice,

Then I don't think the mouse is the problem. If it had any extra function buttons then one could have been causing this.

It could be software interference, from a plug-in or a startup application.

Click the Apple in the top left, and then System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.

To the right click Login Items. What is listed there?

Next click Finder. On the menu bar click Go. Click 'Go To Folder', and type ~/Library/ and click Go.

Open the folder Internet Plug-Ins. What is listed in that folder?

Thank you,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Right David, done all of that.

On System Preferences Login items: itunes helper Application

On Finder Internet plug-ins nothing was in that folder or listed

Hi Alice,

There is nothing there as a startup item or plug-in that could be causing this so. As it's random and not readily reproducible all I can do is some maintenance steps and then it can be monitored.

First of all check Software Update in the Apple menu, and install anything it finds.

Then click Finder, and click the Go menu at the top, and click Go To Folder. Type /Library/Caches/ and click Go. Move everything that is in the Caches folder to the Trash. Click the Go menu again, and Go To Folder, and this time type ~/Library/Caches/ and move the contents of that folder to the Trash.

Next click Finder, then on the menu bar at the top click Go. In that menu click Utilities. Then open the application Disk Utility. Select Macintosh HD on the left, and click Repair Disk Permissions.

Next please restart the Mac from the Apple menu. When you get back to the Desktop, right-click on the Trash and empty it.

These are routine maintenance steps, and may well iron out any issue causing this behavior. However it it reappears try to determine any extra information about it as you can. For example are there any other programs running at the same time, or are there any keystrokes that cause it. Does it go back to the previous page, or to a home page or a page from earlier? Anything that you think may reveal a pattern.

Let me know if you have any questions and let me know how you get on with these steps. I will be happy to get back to you for more troubleshooting.

Kind regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

David, done all that. Don't actually know if the problem's solved yet but the computer is working much faster. If the problem continues I'll get back to you. In the meantime,

Hi Alice,

You're most welcome! I'm glad clearing caches etc has sped things up, that's good.

I hope this also resolves the phantom page jump, but please don't hesitate to reply if it comes back, or with any other Mac questions at all.