John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

Hello Mike, I have an iMac with OSX 9. Within the last week

Hello Mike, I have an iMac with OSX 9. Within the last week or so the active window you may be typing in such as this window now will lose focus. You have to re-click in the window to get the focus back. It times out every 10 or 15 seconds. Very annoying.

Any ideas?

Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

This sounds like you may be experiencing an issue with a driver or third party applications. I'm wondering if it will behave this way in safe boot mode.

Restart your Mac

As soon as you hear the Startup chime, press and hold the SHIFT key

Continue to hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator.

Then, let go of the Shift key and let it boot to the Desktop (it may take longer than usual so please be patient).

Test your issue then restart the Mac and let me know the results.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Once it restarts, how do I get back to our dialog?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK thx.

You're welcome!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

John, in safe mode all was AOK. Now that I restarted, so far no problems either. I had tried restarting before with no luck. This behavior did not start until I updated to mavericks.

The only other thing I can think of is that Time Machine had not backed up for about 10 days or so as I had disconnected my external drive. Any chance it was cycling waiting to do a backup? I had plugged the drive in before I contacted you but was still seeing the same behavior at that point.

There is a feature in Mavericks where Time Machine will store revisions locally on the internal drive until the external is plugged in - however, I don't think that should have been an issue.

However, safe boot mode also checks the hard drive and clears old cache files. It is possible that an application was having issues with an obsolete or corrupted cache that created the issue. If that's the case, the problem may trouble you no more.

If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website, the price, or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, that is the most plausible thing I have read so far. There are a few web postings regarding this issue, and some referred to Stuffit and Remote Desktop, which I am not using. I saw some brief reference to Time Machine, but then I could not find it again.

Well, all is normal now and Time Machine is doing a backup so will leave it at that for now.

Thanks a lot for your guidance!

You are very welcome!

Upgrades to both iOS 7 and Mavericks have hit snags for obscure issues such as this. Thankfully the fix is usually an easy one. If you do experience any further issues then please let me know, however.

I enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again by name at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. You can submit new questions directly via the following page: