John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

Hi John, Can you stand another question from me? It shouldnt

Hi John, Can you stand another question from me? It shouldn't be as hard (for me) as the missing mailboxes one. if you'd rather I'd just put the question out there for anyone to pick up, I'll do that. Holly
LOL Hi Holly!

I'm ALWAYS happy to help you. I love a good challenge. What do you have for me today? Tongue out

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

lol.

OK, in the newly restored mailboxes some of them have the title I gave them abbreviated with a number at the end.

I figured out, the number indicates the number of emails in that mailbox that are not from the same address as the rest. This is not something that matters to me. I put them in that mailbox for a reason. I don't need Apple telling me it thinks some don't belong. For example, I have one box called Peter and Liz, my son and daughter in law. All the emails are from my d-in-law except one which is from my son's business email. So now instead of the mailbox title being Peter and Liz, it's Pete....1. Annoying!Undecided

Can I get rid of the numbers somehow so the names I gave the mailboxes show in their entirety?

Holly

Is the number appended to the actual title?

If so, you should be able to right-click or Control-click on the name of the mailbox and choose "Rename Mailbox..." from the pop-up menu. Then you can edit the title how you wish.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, number is XXXXX to actual title which is abbreviated.

And, I tried re-naming the mailbox last night.

it still came up Peter ... 1. The numbers are all in ovals.

The challenge is on...

Holly

Ohhh... that's not part of the title then. It actually sounds like the name is XXXXX XXXXX to show the number of unread messages in the mailbox.

See if this works;

Select the mailbox.

In the menu bar, click Edit > Select All

In the Menu bar, select Message > Mark > As Read

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks! That worked. Not sure why since it looks like I read all the emails. because ... When I clicked on a mailbox, all the emails in it come up in a list, w the name of the sender or their email address. The subject line is next then the first two lines of the email also come up.

It's not the way my email used to come up before Mavericks.

It's so messy. I've tried to change it in Mail preferences. No success.

Do you know how I can change that now?

Holly

Great!

There are some viewing options that may be of help to you.

Open Mail

Click "Mail" in the menu bar and choose Preferences > Viewing.

There is an option to "Use classic layout" and one to set how many lines, if any, of a preview you would like to see in the list.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks! That worked too. You're the best.last question for tonight ... in left column list in email, I have a ViP name listed. I did that by mistake.

How do I get rid of VIP's?

Holly

Thanks! Glad to hear it but you are too kind. ;-)

Actually, I have not used this feature yet so it will be a learning experience for us both. lol

In the VIP folder, look at an email and you should see a star next to the sender's name/email address. To remove VIP status from that sender, click the star. The star should be removed and the sender’s VIP mailbox should then be removed from the sidebar. You may need to restart mail for the VIP mailbox to disappear.