Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

Since the latest update to IOS 10.7.5 Safari is no longer working.

Since the latest update to IOS 10.7.5 Safari is no longer working. I just get the spinning ball of death. My activity monitor shows Safari is not responding. I'm not tech savvy and would like to know if there's any easy fix so I don't have to take my desktop computer to an Apple store for repair.

Hello Pat, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Before I can answer that I need a little more info please.
What device is this on? 10.7.5 is OS X, not iOs, iOS only runs on iPads, iPods and iPhones.
What are you now using?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oops, sorry. OSX 10.7.5 on IMac.

No problem Pat, just needed to know what we are dealing with.
There are some things that will fix this that require no trips to Apple and the tools are already built-in to the iMac.

First, if you have a USB type keyboard of any type, including Windows, it would help to use it. If you do not then wireless will work but timing is critical.

Second is repairing permissions, this should have been done before doing any update but it is something that Apple does not tell you.

Repairing Permissions

The above is a PDF that explains and shows how to do it, save a copy or print it out for future use.

Next is a pram reset, this is where a USB keyboard is handy.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys all together at the same time.

‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P' all together at the same time.

Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that your computer makes when it starts up, it is like a boonngg. The screen should also cycle from white to black and then back to white along with the chimes.

The sound should also get louder.

graphic

If you have a wireless keyboard then the procedure is a little bit different.

Use the very same keys but wait until the chime and immediately press and hold those keys. I recommend getting your fingers ready because timing is critical.

It can take many trys to get it, any USB keyboard is preferable.

If using a Windows keyboard do the following.

Substitute the Control key for the Command key and Alt for Option, all others stay the same.

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.

This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

Try that, I think that the beachball will go away. Let me know please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

First I restarted my computer using the 4 keys but that did not solve the problem.

I'm running the disk permissions on the Macintosh HD and it says it will take approximately 30 minutes.

You were supposed to do the permissions first and pram second. Try it again when the permissions are done please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, sorry. I'll follow your instructions to the letter. Thank you.

No problem Pat, this way will work just repeats steps.
What are you using for this Q&A?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Chrome which is working brilliantly. I've also installed Firefox because I always use 2 browsers.

Having backups is good, I hope you back up your iMac also.
You may need to download and install Safari agian but before that trashing the plist may do the job if the pram and permissions do not.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I completed the permissions repair and tried the PRAM reset. I heard the chimes but there was no restart.

USB or wireless keyboard?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

USB

Very good, now select restrat from the Apple menu and as soon as the screen goes black press and hold those 4 keys until 4 startup chimes happen, then let go.

If there is not a hardware issue it will boot up just fine.

The only time it does not work is when there are hardware issues and I do not think there are.

Try that please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, well, it didn't fix the Safari problem Frown . I suppose this means this computer has to go to Apple for repair? Everything was running just fine until the latest update!!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Shall I try the restart again using the 4 keys? Perhaps I didn't do it properly.

If you heard 4 startup chimes then it worked fine.

No, the Apple store is not needed, this is software and fixable.
Next is trashing the plist.
This is done by holding the Option and clicking on Go in the menu bar.
graphic

That is what you want to see, keep the Option key preed or it will dissappear.
Selct it and this is next.
graphic

Trash that plist, then try Safari again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Actually, I didn't hear the chimes on either my first or second try. I restarted from the Apple menu, the screen went black and I pressed the 4 keys but no chimes. The restart continued as usual with no change to Safari. Shall I try the instructions you just gave me now?

Did the starup cycle happen 4 times? I mean did the screen turn white or light grey and then black more than 3 times?
The keys have to stay pressed through the entire time it takes for 4 startup cycles.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, it was a very quick restart. I had my fingers on the keys as soon as the screen went black and kept them there but it didn't alter the course of the restart at all. Shall I try again?

The response you decribe is that of a wireless keyboard not a USB cabled one.
Try again and wait for the chime, be ready, press before the chime ends.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I promise it's a USB cabled keyboard. I'll try again and let you know.

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Actually when I restarted, the computer shut down and asked me sign back in as a user. When I did that, Safari was just fine!! Fantastic. You are a great specialist and I thank you for your wonderful service. I'm so pleased!

You are welcome. It can be diffcult fixing things using Q&A sometimes but perseverance wins out.
This will help to prevent issues in the future. Enjoy.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, well, then Safari completely stalled (no spinning ball but also no ability to refresh or enter a new tab) . So I logged out again. When I logged back in, it was working again. I hope it stays this time.

Actually, Safari remains completely stalled. It will work for a moment then it's back to nothing happening. This text box comes up on Safari but it won't send.

Now I'm back to the spinning ball. Ugh, this is frustrating.

Ok, now open Applications and trash Safari, get rid of it. Then use FF to go here and download a new copy.

It says Snow Leopard but it is also for 10.7 and 10.8 and now 10.9.
One other thing, if you had any add ons or extensions, turn them off or delete them.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I tried to trash it, it said I couldn't because Safari is required for OSX.

You are correct, I just tried it myself. That is one reson I stoped at 10.6.8.
Then download and install the one I sent over the top of it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, I tried to but it says I need version 10.6. It would not open or download.

Wrong link.
That one is what you want, the latest.
Sorry, this one, Apple has made things like Windows, hard.
That is for 10.7.x
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nope. This is what it says:

You don't have permission to access /content/downloads/23/43/041-9947/nhdrfwwon5q2z00wm0i88hbd643yxo82dj/Safari6.0.4Lion.pkg on this server.

Whatever that means.

Last shot.
This will install a brand new OS X on your Mac, it will not delete any data, it will only reinstall OS X and related software such as Safari.

Reinstalling Lion Without the Installer

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alterhatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the main menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall Lion: Select Reinstall Lion and click on the Continue button.

Note: You can also re-download the Lion installer by opening the App Store application. Hold down the OPTION key and click on the Purchases icon in the toolbar. You should now see an active Install button to the right of your Lion purchase entry. There are situations in which this will not work. For example, if you are already booted into the Lion you originally purchased with your Apple ID or if an instance of the Lion installer is located anywhere on your computer.

This goes into more detail.

I am doing all I can here.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. I will need to do this later since we've already spent 2 hours on this problem. Thanks for all your help; I know you've tried everything. If you'd like I'll let you know if it works once I've tried it. This is far further than I was hoping to go but I'll give it a shot. You've been very patient and professional. Thanks again.

That is what the Apple store will do.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX like to hear from you about this.
Take your time and follow it closely and the results will be worth it.
I am in no hurry.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It worked brilliantly! And now I've gained more confidence so I'm not so afraid of messing up my computer. Again, many thanks. I'll be sure to use this, and hopefully you, as a resource again if I should need it. Now I'm going to give you the EXCELLENT rating you much deserve.