Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software
65126503

Interested in Buying Mac book pro Haswell Retina - I want

Interested in Buying Mac book pro Haswell Retina -

I want to buy MAC but will use Windows because I work as an IT consultant and my applications are available only on wndows. I dont want to switch back and forth via parallels

My intention is to exclusively use a windows machine . I understand that Mac is not custom built for windows but want to understand how the Macbook pro performs for windows .

I can go for a windows laptop but in my research I did not find any PC which has good hardware - evry PC laptop has some sort of heating , screen , weight , battery problems

I have seen a very old article in 2012 , which sort of highlights Mac performance when using windows. I am looking for numbers from recognised performance tests like PCMark and so on ...

Please provide you rideas and if by uck we can find such tests on latest MBP retina Haswell .

Primary Decision Factors : 1. Battery life 2. Speed

Thanks for any help you can provide .
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
I think this says it all, and that was with the 2012 model. Let me know if you have more questions...

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Windows-Best-Laptop-Performance-Crashes-Windows-on-Mac,22264.html
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks Mike for the good find .

the artcle says "The computers were then scored based on a combination of crashes, hangs, BSoDs, and boot and background processes."

I am more interested in Battery life , Speed of various tasks may be something like moving a certain GB file or standard tests like pCmark .

Is there a chance to get these sort of numbers ?

This is the closest I could get but pretty old one :

http://blog.laptopmag.com/windows-7-tested-on-retina-display-macbook-pro-how-good-is-it

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
The PCIe SSD inside the new MacBook Pro absolutely screams. The flash storage duplicated 4.97 GB of files in just 16.5 seconds, good for a transfer rate of 309 MBps. That's much higher than the last MacBook Pro's 196 MBps and nearly seven times the category average. The ASUS Zenbook UX51V was slightly faster at 318 MBps, but the MSI GS70 was about half as fast at 154 MBps. The latest Alienware 17 reached 182 MBps.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The laptopmag link doesnot do the tests with windows installed on Mac - They are just testing Mac as it is with their os - which is not exactly what we need .

I dont think teh other stats are also with Mac running their own OS

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
It shoud be similar as Apple supplies all the drivers for the components for Windows. Using Parallels or VMWare you don't actually have to switch back and forth you can just open Windows program just as you would normally depending on what type of interface you choose to use. Using Coherence in Parallels there is no switching at all. What type of programs are you using in Windows?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Unfortunately they are not similar from various tests that are already done- but the question I am trying to find is how different - and if its a reasonable compromise - For this I am hoping I would get some numbers

Running My programs on MAC is not an option as I have already researched that .

Thanks for any help

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
The reason I asked is preformance in a VM is a little less depending on the programs. Since I don't know what programs you are trying to optimize for it is a little difficult. If you do not intend to use the Mac OS at all I really see no need to buy a Mac for Windows use. You can still get a comparable Windows machine cheaper, because you may be right the Mac hardware is optimized for the Mac OS and you may never see the tests you are looking for unless you do them yourself.

Any 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with Flash storage and Intel Iris Pro Graphics as well as NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 shoud be cheaper I would think. Though prices are becoming similar:

http://www.lptps.com/best-3rd-generation-i7-laptops/
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Suggested me to get a Windows PC eventhough I clearly mentioned why I am researching MBP - did not ready my question fully even after multiple attempts//Provided Inaccurate information as well
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I would be happy to help with this. The Macbook Pro with Haswell/Retina has been reviewed here and there are specific performance benchmarks when running Windows on the system as well:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/29/macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review-13-inch-2013/

Disk performance is rated as slightly higher on the Windows 7 installation than when running OSX.

Additionally, after installing Windows 7 on a separate partition, we ran ATTO, the benchmark we use to test transfer speeds on Windows machines. On that test, we actually got even higher read rates, with rates climbing as high as 823 MB/s. However, write speeds were more consistent with what we found on the Mac side, with a high of 686 MB/s.

Battery life is also evaluated but that comes out at a marked decrease in performance when running Windows on this platform, although the quoted figures would still place it high among conventional Windows PCs.

In case you were wondering, we also ran the same video-looping test on the Windows partition, with the power-management settings set exactly the same as on any PC we test (brightness at 65 percent, no dimming, WiFi on, machine never goes to sleep, et cetera). Under those conditions, the battery lasted seven hours and 47 minutes.

There are also PCMark ratings here showing the overall cumulative performance of Windows on this platform, it is faster but not by much based on these results.

As you can see in the table directly below, the CPU performance is strong, but not out-of-this-world strong; the Acer Aspire S7 turned in similar scores, and some other machines like the Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus are only a few hundred points behind in PCMark 7

PCMark 7

3DMark06

3DMark11

13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display (2.4GHz Core i5-4258U, Intel Iris graphics)

5,383

7,032

E2,454 / P1,288 / X424

823 MB/s (reads); 686 MB/s (writes)

Let me know how that looks

Cheers

Steve

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Sorry but you specifically said "My intention is to exclusively use a windows machine" and I still say you can get one cheaper that performs the same or better. Macs still are at a premium price and you pay for the OS which you won't even be using. I'm glad the other expert found the info you were looking for which backs up my answer. Sorry you were not happy with it. Good luck.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Steve ,

Thanks for the accurate information . Are PCmark7 scores always show the performance of Mac with windows on it - because in the table it doesnt mention that the Mac is running windows .

No problem - yes, the PCMark benchmarks are run within Windows on the Mac.

Cheers

Steve
Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software