John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

i accepted software upgrades for my iMac and after restarting,

i accepted software upgrades for my iMac and after restarting, it is frozen on the white screen with Apple icon in centre. What can I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 9 months ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Were these updates to your existing version of OS X or were you downloading OS X 10.9 via The Mac App Store when this happened?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I'm not 100% sure. A box came up saying there were five software upgrades available. I know at least one of these was for Flash Player, another for iTunes and another to do with mobile phones. I just clicked yes as I finished working last night. It did not take very long for the upgrades to be downloaded and I heard the machine restart as I went to bed, but didn't check it. This morning the screen was black and would not come to life. I switched it off by holding down the power button, restarted, and now can't get past the white screen/apple symbol page. I am on my wife's computer now.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX sounds like those are probably just normal upgrades to your version.

That said, do you know what version of OS X is installed? If you are uncertain and have never paid for an upgrade, if you tell me the month/year you purchased this Mac then it will give us a fairly good idea.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I am not sure, John. It was definitely 10 point something. Maybe around 10.6? I did purchase and instal newer system a year or two ago but it behaved badly and I reverted to the older system. The computer itself is at least 5 years old but I don't know the purchase date.

Okay, if it's 10.6 or older, do you have the install disc handy?

If you don't have one, please restart the Mac.

As soon as your hear the start up chime, Press and hold the OPTION key on your keyboard.

You should then see a menu displaying the bootable volumes in the Mac.

Can you tell me what volumes are listed?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I tried restart and held down the ALT key (I think that is same as OPTION?). A hard drive symbol came up called Steve's Mac and I had the mouse cursor on screen for first time, so I clicked on Steve's Mac, but now I just have white screen and Apple symbol again...

Okay,

let's try the following first. This will be a bit more tedious without the install disc but it performs the same function;

Restart your Mac

Immediately press the "Command"(Apple) key + "S" Key at the same time

When the screen goes black and you start seeing text, let go.

After a short period of time you will land at a command prompt (:/root#).

At the command-line prompt, type:
/sbin/fsck -fy

and Press Return.

fsck is a file system checker. It will run through a battery of tests, looking at different aspects of your file system.

When it's done, it will normally produce one of two messages

1) "The volume (name of your hard drive) appears to be OK

If it states the above, then your drive is fine and you can simply type "reboot" at the prompt to restart your Mac and boot back to the Desktop.

2) If fsck found any errors, it may have tried to correct them and will display this message: --FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED--

If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed at the beginning

/sbin/fsck -fy

and Press Return.

Keep repeating this until it reports your drive is OK.

If by some reason you need to do the above more than 5 times, this indicates a more serious issue. At the very least, the hard drive needs to be formatted and OS X should be re-installed.

However, assuming everything goes okay, type 'reboot' at the prompt and then press Return.

Is there any improvement?

If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website, the price, or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Before trying that, I have just found some install disks! I have two that say "For Mac Computers Mac OS X Install Disk 1" and a second called Install Disk 2. I have also found Mac OS X Snow Leopard Install DVD, but I'm pretty sure that's the one that gave me trouble before... Should I try any of these or do what you said above?

Try what I gave you first since we're not sure what version you have installed.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I tried as you suggested and black screen with text came up, but iut is not giving me anywhere to type in the code you suggested. There are quite a few lines of text top left of screen. First few read:

npvhash=4095

PRE enabled

64 bit mode enabled

Darwin Kernel version 10.8.0: Tue Jun 7 16:33:36 PDT 201ll: root:xnu-1505

there's a lot more... do you need it al?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Relist: Answer came too late. Can anyone help? John T F doesn't seem to be responding any more. I really need to sort this out...

The last line of the text showing on black screen after following John's instructions is:

[ PCI Configuration begin ]

There is a little white square under this, but nothing happens when I try to type in /sbin/fsck -fy aas John suggested. What can I do?

Should I try installing Mac OS X Snow Leopard Version 10.6.3 from the install disk I have found? If so, how do I do this?

What is the last line of text you see ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
[ PCI Configuration begin ]

There's a small white square under this but nothing comes up when I type
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Your answers are no longer coming up on line on my wife's computer, only via my email on phone, which is more difficult. How do I get back to our question/answer string on computer?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Okay, I've found the questions and answers again. What do you suggest I do now? Should we try installing Mac OS X Snow Leopard?

Yes given what it is saying, I think that is your only option. I believe the update failed and crashed the computer.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Okay. How do I install the start-up? Do I simply re-start the computer and insert the disk?

Yes. Insert the disc, restart the Mac and hold down the C key as soon as you hear the start up chime. When you see the Apple logo then you can let go. It should boot to the installer.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Okay... it's happening! I'll let you know how it goes...

Good luck!

I will be around for several more hours.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thanks!

You are very welcome!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hmmm. Not looking too good. Progress bar for install has stopped progressing and has been saying 42 minutes remaining for at least 10 minutes now... Any ideas, or should I give it more time?Hang on... It's moving again... Slowly.

It will try to upgrade what's already on the drive so it may take some time.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thanks! progressing again now.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Success! Thank you!!!

You are very welcome!

If the current issue has been resolved to your satisfaction, please remember to rate me accordingly when you get a moment.

I enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again by name at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. You can submit new questions directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry