Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I can open iTunes, but when I click on a song title, i get

PLEASE CANCEL THIS REQUEST. I AM TIRED OF WAITING FOR AN ANSWER.

I can open iTunes, but when I click on a song title, i get no sound. I am sure it is a software problem because I get sound when i use Internet radio on Safari. I am on a mac mini, about a year old, with big Apple display. All other sounds okay.

Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Do you still want help?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Do you think you can help me? I have not contacted Apple yet.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Possiblly. Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Processor 2.5 ghz intel core iS

memory 16 gb 1333 mhz ddr3

version 10.7.5

I had WestWorld (a mac store) install 16 gb and they assured me it was okay. Happened about 3 months ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
OK let's run some tests. Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk. Let me know after
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Okay. Will do and will get back to you.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
K
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Mike,

I followed your directions and it went as expected. The Mac HD is okay (Verify Disk) and then i clicked on repair Permissions, and it repaired about 15 of them, including about 6 iTunes ones.

But… I still get no sound on iTunes. When I try to play a song, it shows in the bar at the top as playing, but no sound. My Sound icon in the bar at the top of the screen shows there is volume.

What next?

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
OK we were just checking is that an iMac?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

No, it is a Mac Mini, bought about a year ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
OK you are sure the volume bar is all the way to the right at the top of the iTunes window?

graphic
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yes, where the pause/play icon is, to the right, is the slider for the volume. It is set all the way to the right. At the very top of the monitor screen is the mac volume button, and it is all the way to the top. When there is a bell, i hear the bell loud and clear. Just no music when i play iTunes.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
OK try this:

Resetting the SMC & PRAM for Mac Pro, Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini, or Intel-based Xserve

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
3. Wait fifteen seconds.
4. Attach the computer's power cord.
5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
8. Release the keys.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Okay. I will try it and get back to you.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
k
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I followed the directions, but had a problem. I held the keys down until i heard the restart chime. Then i released. I sat in front of the grey screen and nothing happened about about 3 minutes I turned it off and hit the power button.

Not sure I did anything wrong, but maybe i did. I did try iTunes again, and the same sound problem is happening.

Should I try the PRAM again or do something else?

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Yes try again let it restart 3 times then let go
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

ok. will do and get back to you.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Okay, i tried again, and this time i held the four keys down for the two restart chimes, and then i sat there for about 2 or more minutes waiting for something to happen.

What should happen after this procedure is finished? Should i try again? iTunes still not working.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Go to System Preferences / Sound / Output what is it set to?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Display audio. Which is I think must be right because it works for internet radio when i try to get music there.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
What else is listed?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Internal speakers "built in"

Display audio "usb"

I have been using display audio for over a year. I just tried the internet radio again,a nd it works fine with audio coming out of the display.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
OK quit iTunes hold the Option key and select Go at the top of the screen to Library. Then open Preferences folder and drag these items to the trash:

graphic

Then try iTunes again
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Still does not work. Sigh.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Choose Internal Speakes in System Preferences just to see if it plays
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

No sound.

The iTunes display of the song works and the bar slides showing that it is playing. But no sound.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Go to Itunes About Itunes what is the version number?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

v 11.1.2 (32)

64-bit

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

And that is an Apple Cinema Display? If so go to the little arrow next to the Volume in iTunes and make sure it is set to Computer:

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hurray!!!!!!! My son must have reset it when he was playing around with the apple tv.

You fixed it. Thank you very very much!

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Oh great sorry I should have thought of that before, whew!!!

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide an OK Rating - or Above. If you are not satisfied, please don't Rate to Finish and Reply to Expert and let me know what I can do to change that. If we solved your problem, giving me high marks on the survey and / or bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.