I updated the software. It then asked me for my iStore password. I then entered what I thought was my password XXXXX than 6 times. The screen is now locked, but display: " iPad is disabled connect to iTunes" when I switch it on.
Thank you, Banie.
That means your ipad can be unlocked only after restoring it. Unfortunately, restore is the only solution. This would delete everything off it, but you can get back all your purchases. (if you know the password XXXXX if your ipad allows you to enter the password XXXXX sometime, you can try the wait).
You would need to place the ipad into recovery mode and then restore it.
Open itunes in the computer and connect the ipad. Now, on the ipad, press and hold the power button and the home button together until you see an apple logo. The very moment you see the apple logo, let go off the power button, but keep on holding the home button for another 10-15 sec.
your computer would now give a message that it has detected an ipad in recovery mode and needs to be restored. Restore the ipad now and that should unlock the code. Here's a video for you.
By watching this, you can understand how to put the ipad into recovery mode and also how it looks like while in recovery mode.
Let me know if you find any difficulty.
I struggled to get going with it, but it seems it is now busy with the recovery. Says it will take some 36 minutes though - will let you know as it progresses.
After all the waiting it now says : "The ipad could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3194)"
I'm going to do that. The iPad also has a device password XXXXX can that create a problem?
I am sorry, but it still does not work - it keeps on telling me when I'm trying to restore:
"iTunes could not connect to the iPad because it is locked with a passcode. You must enter your passcode on the iPad before it can be used with iTunes"
Now I cannot do that as the iPad is locked!
It is (or was . . . . ) it was showing the iTunes logo when it started, but then after (say) 15 min or so it went black. That's when the message came up on the computer screen. I've just switched it off and re-performed the restore (which continued from where it stopped if I look at the time to restore) - so let's keep our fingers crossed!
Eventually - it worked! Many thanks - we'll do the payment thing . . . and I'll do the rating!