Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
51110040

ipad locked but never sync with iTunes or made any backups

ipad locked but never sync with iTunes or made any backups - how can it be unlocked?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 10 months ago.
Hi

I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

Could you please explain your issue a bit more? What do you mean by "locked"?

Did you mean the ipad screen is frozen? Or have entered the wrong password XXXXX many times and your ipad is now disabled?

Thank You
Vinod
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I updated the software. It then asked me for my iStore password. I then entered what I thought was my password XXXXX than 6 times. The screen is now locked, but display: " iPad is disabled connect to iTunes" when I switch it on.

Thank you, Banie.

That means your ipad can be unlocked only after restoring it. Unfortunately, restore is the only solution. This would delete everything off it, but you can get back all your purchases. (if you know the password XXXXX if your ipad allows you to enter the password XXXXX sometime, you can try the wait).

You would need to place the ipad into recovery mode and then restore it.

Open itunes in the computer and connect the ipad. Now, on the ipad, press and hold the power button and the home button together until you see an apple logo. The very moment you see the apple logo, let go off the power button, but keep on holding the home button for another 10-15 sec.

your computer would now give a message that it has detected an ipad in recovery mode and needs to be restored. Restore the ipad now and that should unlock the code. Here's a video for you.

By watching this, you can understand how to put the ipad into recovery mode and also how it looks like while in recovery mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A01Vx0TXANk

Let me know if you find any difficulty.

Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience: worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I struggled to get going with it, but it seems it is now busy with the recovery. Says it will take some 36 minutes though - will let you know as it progresses.

no worries, take your own time.

Wish you good luck!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

After all the waiting it now says : "The ipad could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3194)"

:(

This can be because of several issues. The main cause is if you don't have the latest version of itunes installed.

So let's first install the latest version of itunes by going to

www.apple.com/itunes/download

After downloading and installing itunes, try to restore the ipad.

Let me know.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I'm going to do that. The iPad also has a device password XXXXX can that create a problem?

That is not a problem. We need to do the restore (because the ipad is disabled due to an incorrect password XXXXX entered too many times)

Now, the problem is something related to the itunes in the computer or it is a security issue etc. Let's see what happens after you install the latest itunes
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry, but it still does not work - it keeps on telling me when I'm trying to restore:

"iTunes could not connect to the iPad because it is locked with a passcode. You must enter your passcode on the iPad before it can be used with iTunes"

Now I cannot do that as the iPad is locked!

What now?

That is because your ipad is still not in recovery mode. In recovery mode your ipad will show a USB cable and an itunes logo.

Have you watched the following video on how to place the ipad into recovery mode?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It is (or was . . . . ) it was showing the iTunes logo when it started, but then after (say) 15 min or so it went black. That's when the message came up on the computer screen. I've just switched it off and re-performed the restore (which continued from where it stopped if I look at the time to restore) - so let's keep our fingers crossed!

Good luck!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Eventually - it worked! Many thanks - we'll do the payment thing . . . and I'll do the rating!

Banie