Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Since upgrading to Mac Maverick, there are two more things

Since upgrading to Mac Maverick, there are two more things that I am unable to do.
1. Copy a file
2. Rotate a photo
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Are you referring to iPhoto?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Not necessarily. Just photos I have taken and put under "Pictures."

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
So what program did you use to import them?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Various. From my Canon, Dropbox, etc., for many past years. I've always been able, before, to rotate and copy. I also cannot copy Document files.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Ok but you have to open the picture with some app they are just icons and files in Pictures folder. What program opens when you double click one?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Preview

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Ok let's check some things first:

Restart and hold Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Disk is OK.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Ok can you give me about ten minutes my Mavericks machine is updating
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I can wait.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Thanks I'll be back shortly
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

OK sorry for the delay in Preview you go to Tools and you can rotate the picture for one thing, see here:

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
I am wondering why you do not use iPhoto the latest one with Mavericks is great?
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Everything you need in iPhoto is right there, now about the copy issue where are you trying to copy to?:

graphic
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Sorry. Attention got diverted. I'll try the iPhoto. I'm trying simply to make a copy so I can have the same photo in two different folders.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

In Preview you can just go to File / Duplicate and then File / Move to very simple:

graphic

Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Works. Thanks.