John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

my wife update her ipad, she has forgotten her password XXXXX

my wife update her ipad, she has forgotten her password XXXXX her Ipad is locked. can you help /
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you tell me how your wife normally syncs and/or backs up her iPad?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know that she does back up butI assume it is the the icloud

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she does not do either

Ok, thanks.

Sadly, the only end user method that Apple provides for a forgotten passcode involves wiping the iPad. You can however redownload any previous purchases.

The following procedure is a special firmware recovery mode (DFU). It will erase your Apple device, re-install the operating system, and then re-sync user data once it is done (provided you have a backup of some kind).

Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes on your computer before attempting this:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
(Mac users can run System Preferences > Software Update > Check now to get the latest version for their system in most cases.)

* Open iTunes on your computer and connect the Apple device directly to it

* Turn off the Apple device (press the sleep/wake button on the top until you see the red slider and slide the red slider across to the right OR until the device simply shuts off, if locked up).

* Hold down the sleep/wake button (on the top) AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds

* Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until...

* iTunes should pop up and tell you it’s found a device in recovery mode, click ok and continue along for the restore.

Note: When you are in DFU mode the device's screen will be completely black.

If it doesn’t work the 1st time, start from the beginning and try again. If iTunes *still* doesn't recognize the device, plug it into a DIFFERENT USB port and try once more.

If you receive misc errors when attempting to install/uninstall or sync after installation, try temporarily disabling any anti-virus or firewall software you may be running.

If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website, the price, or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,
Howdy!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. If you need further assistance on this issue, please let me know.

Also, feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question.

I can be reached directly via the following page:
http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

Thanks,