Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.
70409726

I did an update of Apple on my ipad and now it is asking for

I did an update of Apple on my ipad and now it is asking for my passcode, which i have no idea what that is. i tried to put in my password XXXXX nothing happens
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 10 months ago.

Michelle :

Hi, and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

You may have missed it while you were setting up your iPad, but it does ask you to create a 4 digit pin. If you still do not remember which 4 digit pin you have entered, you will need to restore your iPad using itunes on your computer. Do you have a backup?

Customer:

What you are saying is all greek to me..

Michelle :

Okay, lets take it step by step. Do you remember a point during the setup where it ask you to enter in a 4 digit code?

Customer:

I do not undersatnd. I am sending this on my laptop computer, but I do not have itunes. IS there someone I could talk to on the phone?

Customer:

I do not understand. i am contacting you on my laptop but have never had itunes on it. Could I talk to someone on the phone

Michelle :

We do not have the option to chat via Phone just yet. I will surely go step by step with you via chat. First, lets download iTunes. Please click on this link to download itunes http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Customer:

no. I set it up in March

Michelle :

Are you using a Mac or PC?

Michelle :

Are you using an Apple Computer or a Windows computer?

Customer:

Ok i have downloaded itunes

Michelle :

Great. Now go ahead and open it

Customer:

How do I do that?

Michelle :

Click on start in the bottom left corner. Then choose programs and then locate itunes and click on it

Michelle :

Were you able to find iTunes?

Michelle :

If you can not locate itunes, connect your iPad into your computer using the cable that came with it. If should open automatically

Customer:

It just seems to be doing more stuff, so I don't know if it is installed or not

Michelle :

It may still be installing

Michelle :

Is there an installation\ screen up?

Customer:

How long should it take?

Michelle :

Is there an installation screen that is displaying? It should give you an estimated installation tim

Customer:

i just see status and copying files go across the screen. I don't know what files they are copying?

Michelle :

That is normal. It is installing the required components for itunes to open. Please let me know when it is done

Customer:

OK, Now I see apple software up date and itunes under programs

Michelle :

Now go ahead and open itunes. You can also connect your iPad into your computer using the cable that it came with

Customer:

I have one for charging that plugs in the wall, but no other cable

Michelle :

The part that plugs into the wall it detachable. Detach it and plug the other side into the USB port on your computer

Customer:

Ok I have done that

Michelle :

Now click on Start in the bottom left corner. Choose program and then select iTunes

Customer:

It tells me I can't connect to itunes because I don't have the passcode

Michelle :

As long as you have itunes open, you are doing good so far. Now, as I mentioned earlier, the only way to bypass the passcode is to restore your iPad through itunes. This will erase your iPad and set it back to factory settings. Are you backing up to icloud?

Customer:

I do not know what that means

Michelle :

It means your iPad will be erased

Michelle :

if you were using iCloud, it should backup your iPad

Customer:

since I do not know what icloud is, how do I use it?

Michelle :

Since you can not get into your iPad right now, it is too late to back up. Do you currently have an iphone?

Customer:

no i do not have an iphone

Michelle :

Im sorry. In that case since you do not remember the code, you will need to erase your iPad.

Customer:

Isn't there a way for someone to tell me what my passcode is?

Michelle :

No there is not. For security reasons, that type of information is not saved anywhere. And you do not remember during the set up process where it ask to enter a 4 digit code?

Customer:

no. I talked to someone on the phone to set this up and I don't recall anyone telling me I needed to remember a passcode. I have a 4 digit number that I often use, but when i tried that it didn't take it

Michelle :

Im very sorry and I understand your data is important to you. But unless you can remember the code that was set up after you updated your iPad, a restore is the only other option

Customer:

so to restore, it will erase everything on it, including music, contacts, etc?

Michelle :

Yes that is correct. Did you purchase your music from iTunes?

Michelle :

Silly question, but you mentioned someone helped you set it up over the phone. Did you try 1234 or 0000

Customer:

yes I did

Michelle :

Yes to trying 1234 and 0000 or purchasing music from iTunes?

Customer:

I tried both of them and it didn't work. Is it always numbers?

Customer:

And now it tells me the ipad is dsabled for 5 minutes. Oh This is so frustrating!!!

Michelle :

Yes. The screen looks like this and it will also give you an option not to enter a code

Full Size Image

Michelle :

If you keep getting the passcode wrong, the disable time will increase and then will lock you out for good. So you may want to refrain from trying anymore codes until you are certain

Customer:

yes to trying those numbers and yes i got the music from itunes

Michelle :

Ok if you got the music from itunes, it is saved on the server so you will be able to re-download them

Customer:

What do i do to get this ipad working again?

Michelle :

It needs to be restored. If your ok with that, I can walk you through the process. Its important for me to inform you that you will loose some data

Customer:

What sort of data will I lose?

Michelle :

As mentioned earlier.. You will lose everything except for your music and apps

Michelle :

We can check to see by chance if you were backing up to iCloud and did not know it

Customer:

Well, I guess it has to be done if I want to use the ipad, so let's do it. And thank you for your patience with me!

Michelle :

Oh you are very welcome. Im sooo sorry we have to do this to you. Ok lets start. First locate power off your iPad. Press and hold the button in the upper left corner until "Slide to power off" appears then slide to power off

Customer:

ok, done

Michelle :

Next, make sure your iPad is still connected to your computer. Press and hold the home button (the round button at the bottom front of your iPad) Continue to press and hold for 45 secs or unit a cable with itunes appears on your iPad

Customer:

nothing is happening

Michelle :

Okay we can try a different route. Press and hold both the sleep button (Located in the upper right corner) and the home button for 45 secs or until the connect to itunes logo appears

Full Size Image

Customer:

is the sleep button the round one or the longer flat one?

Michelle :

The longer flat button at the top right corner is the sleep button and the round one is the home button. Press both of those buttons as the same time and hold both buttons until the connect to itunes logo appears

Customer:

The round one only slides to a new position and if I slide it it has a red dot that shows

Michelle :

Is your iPad currently off or on?

Michelle :

Make sure your iPad is powered off

Customer:

It was off and I turned it on and the same message from itunes comes that it can't be turned on because I don't have a passcode. So should it be on or off?

Michelle :

It should be off. Once it is off. Only press and hold the round button. Your iPad will power on but continue to press and hold the round button until the connect to itunes logo appears

Customer:

I turned it off, but as soon as I press the round button on the bottom, it brings up the hello and slide to start

Michelle :

Yes because you need to press and hold the home button

Michelle :

It you just press it, it will wake it up

Michelle :

Power it off again.. Then press and hold the home button for 45 secs

Customer:

I am holding the button and it scrolls through all the languages and the screen goes black and nothing happens

Michelle :

Okay lets try to put your iPad into DFU mode. Please power off your iPad

Customer:

I pushed the button so it must be off

Michelle :

You may have just placed it to sleep. Press and hold the power button a slide to power off will appear

Customer:

ok did that

Michelle :

Now, Press and hold just the home button for 45 secs. Do not let go of the home button until you see a cable icon

Customer:

i am sorry, but when I push the button at the bottom of the ipad, nothing happens

Michelle :

Are you just pushing it or are you holding it?

Customer:

if by holding you mean keep your finger on it and push down, that is what I am doing

Michelle :

It sounds like you are doing it correctly. You iPad does not want to cooperate with us. Lets try to place your iPad into DFU mode. Can you slide to power off your iPad again

Michelle :

Press the power button and then slide to power off

Customer:

ok,did that

Michelle :

Step 1. Press and hold iPad’s Power button and the Home button simultaneously.

Step 2. After 10 seconds, let go off the Power button but keep holding the Home button for 20 more seconds or until iTunes discovers your iPhone in DFU mode.

Customer:

got it ITUNES

Michelle :

Yay! Good JOB! Ok now in itunes on your computer.. It will say that your iPad is in recovery mode

Michelle :

Do you see your iPad and the option to restore?

Customer:

YES. nOW IT IS DOWN LOADING AN ITEM AND TELLS ME it wILL TAKE 38 MINUTES

Michelle :

Okay. I will stand by until it is done. Let me know as soon as it is complete

Michelle :

Just checking in to see how the restore is going

Customer:

The downloading of the apple update is done, but now it says update processing file and i don't see any movement on that

Michelle :

On your iPad, is there a picture of the apple logo with a progress bar at the bottom?

Customer:

no, when i turn it on I get the hello and slide to open and the passcode request

Michelle :

What is displaying in itunes on your computer?

Customer:

the apple logo is at the top and then CDs i can buy

Michelle :

Do you see where it says devices within itunes. It should be in the upper right corner within itunes

Customer:

I see library and sign in and the various modes of music, but no devices

Michelle :

Hmm Can you click on View at the top menu and choose show sidebar

Customer:

It asks me to do control 5 and when I do that nothing happens

Michelle :

It sounds like your iPad came out of recovery mode. It may have finished installing, but it did not download. You will need to power your iPad off again

Customer:

ok,done

Michelle :

Now

Step 2. After 10 seconds, let go off the Power button but keep holding the Home button for 20 more seconds or until iTunes discovers your iPhone in DFU mode

Customer:

It is asking me to restore again

Michelle :

Press restore

Michelle :

An apple logo with a progress bar should appear on your iPad

Customer:

The computer did say I was in DFU mode

Michelle :

After you press restore. What happened

Customer:

I didn't press restore because I thought I had already done that

Michelle :

Go ahead and press it again. It should indicate that the restore is happening

Customer:

It is extracting software?

Michelle :

Thats a good sign.

Michelle :

Let me know when you see an apple logo with a progress bar on your iPad

Customer:

I have an appple logo with the white coming on the bar below

Michelle :

Great! So it should be another 15- 20 mins left. You can take a break to grab something if you wish. I know its been a long day

Customer:

Thanks! I will

Michelle :

See you when you get back

Customer:

Ok it siad welcome to your new ipad

Michelle :

Ok good you can go ahead and disconnect it now. On your iPad slide to unlock and follow the instructions. It will ask you if you would like to set up a passcode again.. choose do not add passcode

Customer:

It didn't ask for that it sent me to my wifi network and I put in my password XXXXX that Now it asks if I should enable or diable location services..What should I do?

Michelle :

Choose to enable location services

Customer:

Should i use icloud

Michelle :

Absolutely! Sign in using your Apple ID and password

Customer:

Ok What about use find my ipad

Michelle :

Yes, choose to enable (This helps if you were to loose your iPad)

Customer:

now it asks to create a passcode.I should say no?

Michelle :

Yes!.. Click on the blue do not add passcode

Customer:

How about ask siri

Michelle :

Yup... Enable Siri.. Thats the iPads personal assistant featur e

Customer:

Ok I think that covers it..You have been wonderful to help this "old" lady!!!

Michelle :

You are very welcome. I am glad you are up and running again. Was there anything els I can assist you with today?

Customer:

No I think that should do it.Again Thnak you!

Michelle :

You are very welcome. I hope I’ve provided the resolution you were seeking today. You can now provide a rating to end our chat. Have a fantastic rest of your day

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.