Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

for the past month, every time I try to do a video chat with

for the past month, every time I try to do a video chat with my daughter, I am unable to connect with the screen stating that my video camera is turned off. Actually, the camera is on, and I am able then to do FaceTime. I can connect with audio only. The latest version of Skype has been installed, and the latest version of my Mac OS X has likewise been installed…any suggestions?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
What version of Mac OS are you running?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
10.8.5
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
OK. I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. I am required to post any procedure as an Answer even if it is just a diagnostic test, so please ignore the Rate to Finish box and Reply to Expert after you have tried that.

Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have done what you suggested. verified disk as ok. Then clicked on Permission repair. Now it is complete.
what's next?
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
OK what model Mac is it?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
MacBook Air
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
OK try this:

Resetting the SMC & PRAM on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
8. Release the keys.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
done. what's next?
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

Open Skype and go to Skype / Preferences / Audio/Video tab. Is your camera and microphone selected? Do you see your image?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
yes,I can see my image. I tried to Skype to my wife just now, and as soon as she connected, my screen said my camera was off. Audio was fine. Is there a way to uninstall this SKYPE and reload it?
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Under Skype / Preferences / Privacy change Allow video and screen sharing from: to Anyone then try again
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
outcome was the same. Shows the video camera is off.
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
And you havew Skype version 6.9 (701)?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
yes
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
OK restart and make sure you don't open any other apps then try again.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
same result.
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Weird you are sure Facetime is off?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
how would I know? The app is not open.
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
OK then quit Skype open Terminal app in Applications / Utilities and paste this line:

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.skype.skype.plist

then hit Return quit Terminal and try Skype again.
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Also make sure on your wife's end she has also set Skype / Preferences / Privacy change: Allow video and screen sharing from: to Anyone then try again
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
The Facetime icon looks like this so make sure it is not in the Dock with a light under it:

graphic
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
wife's setting same. and we in each other's contact list. Facetime icon does not have a light under it.
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
OK do you use Facetime can you try to call someone just to make sure it is not the camera? Quit Skype first
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
did facetime to my wife. It works fine.
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.

OK now with Facetime open go to Facetime / Turn Facetime Off, then quit Facetime and try Skype you may have to quit Skype and reopen.

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Photobooth is another app that must be off just in case.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it's off
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
OK so still nothing? I posted a lot of things just to be sure you ran the Terminal command earlier?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ran the terminal command as you suggested. nothing any different.
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
OK wow.... the last thing I can suggest is to drag the Skype icon to the trash empty the trash and redownload and install:

http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-computer/
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it's working now.
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Great!!! sorry since it showed the video in Preferences I didn't think there was anything wrong with the app. Oh welll at least you know everything esle is good now too. LOL

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide an OK Rating - or Above. If you are not satisfied, please don't Rate to Finish and Reply to Expert and let me know what I can do to change that. If we solved your problem, giving me high marks on the survey and / or bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.