Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.

I have downloaded os x mavericks when i tried to install ,it

I have downloaded os x mavericks when i tried to install ,it responded with s.m.a.r.t. issues and hardware problems can this be resolved without replacing the disc
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 8 months ago.

Michelle :

Hi, and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

A s.m.a.r.t Disk error is almost always related to the physical components of hard drive and will need to be replaced. You can also try to re-format your hard drive which will wipe your hard drive clean. (If you already have a backup).

Michelle :

We can exhaust all your options before concluding with a hard drive replacement

Customer:

how could an error like this be caused

Michelle :

Hard drives can actually fail for no reason at all. They are made of small spinning pieces and are the most commonly used component of your computer. The best way to prepare yourself from a hard drive failure, is to constantly back up your computer since there is no telling when a hard drive failure will occur

Customer:

thanks we still have one issue where a install window will not close , is there any kind of task manager or other tool we can use to close it

Michelle :

There should be a red button in the upper left corner. What does the install window say?

Customer:

the red button will not show only the orange button

Customer:

yes

Michelle :

In the top menu bar, it should say Mac OSX installer. Click on that and choose quit installer

Customer:

that worked thanks, XXXXX XXXXX any other way we can verify the hard drive has smart errors

Michelle :

Yes, you can do that via Disk utility. Click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in disk utility

Customer:

ok it is confirming that there are smart errors

Customer:

do you know how we can reformat the hard drive

Michelle :

Do you have a backup?

Customer:

i don't think it came with a back up

Michelle :

The reason I ask is because re-formatting your hard drive (If it allows you to) will erase everything

Customer:

I know but there is nothing really on my computer

Michelle :

Are you chatting from the computer now? If so, is there another computer or tablet where you can resume our chat. Re-formatting will require a restart into the recovery partition

Customer:

I am chatting from the computer with the issue

Michelle :

Is there another device that you can chat from

Customer:

yes my phone

Michelle :

Ok, you can pull it up from your phone. If you have email setup on your phone, you can click on the link sent from JustAnswer Or you can email this link to yourself

http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/839q4-downloaded-os-mavericks-when-tried-install-it.html?src=nql

Customer:

actually can you just call me instead,

Customer:

this website did ask for my number so you should have it

Michelle :

I'm sorry, we actually do not have the option of doing that just yet. I will to my very best to guide you via chat.

Michelle :

Is your phone an iphone?

Customer:

ok just give me a few minutes

Michelle :

Sure take your time

Customer:

ok im in the chat room on my phone but it wont let me answer unless i ask my question and pay again

Michelle :

Did you sign in using your username and password?

Customer:

hold on

Michelle :

Okay

Customer:

i dont think i set up an account with a password

Michelle :

Is your email setup on your phone? If so, there should be a direct link within your email

Customer:

it is not set up on my phone

Customer:

hello

Michelle :

Okay. Instead, lets try to add partition. If it adds the partition without any issues, you may be able to re-format. If it does give you an error, then you will need to replace your hard drive

Michelle :

Click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner again and open disk utility

Customer:

actually is it possible for you to give me a list of instructions on how to reformat the whole hard drive

Michelle :

Sure I can do that.. Please hold on

Michelle :

First, are you currently running Lion?

Customer:

no

Michelle :

What operating system are you running?

Michelle :

To find out, click on the apple log in the upper left corner and choose about this Mac

Customer:

it is Mac OS X v10.6.8

Michelle :

With 10.6, you will need the install disk to do so. Do you happen to have it handy

Customer:

let me check

Michelle :

Okay

Customer:

yes

Michelle :

Ok, hold on for your instructions

Customer:

ok

Michelle :

So here is what you will need to do.
1. Insert your 10.6 Install disk
2. Restart your computer while immediately pressing and holding the option Key (Let go when you see a picture of your hard drive and the install disk
3. Choose the install disk
4. Once it has booted, choose english as your language and move on
5.In the upper menu bar, choose Utilities and then select disk utility
6. Once disk utility is open, Select your entire hard drive (The one above macintosh HD)
7. Then select the erase tab (right next to first aid)
8. Make sure the format is set to Mac OS Extended Journaled
9. Click on Erase
10. If it fails to re-format, the drive will need replacement
11. If it does reformat, close disk utility and move on with the install

Michelle :

You can copy and paste these instructions and email them to yourself

Customer:

ok thanks

Michelle :

You are very welcome. Best of luck

Customer:

thats everything thanks

Michelle :

That is everything :) Have a wonderful rest of your weekend

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.