Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

how can you recover a previous version of a word document that

how can you recover a previous version of a word document that disappeared after making some header changes? WOrd 2011 forf MAc on macbook pro with retina display.
Did you try Undo / Command Z?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, nothing happens with command z and the undo in not highlighted for access

If you have not saved the documenet you can close it and not save, that might work... other than that I'm afraid the only other possibility would be recover an earlier version from Time Machine backup if you have one.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how do I know if I have a Time Machine backup?

You would know I think it... requires an External hard drive or a Time Capsule do you have either of those?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We have Carbonite. Is that a help?

After we lost the latest changes to the version, we did save it to the same file name.

Is this problem related to the retina display model? This problem has happened before where part of the text most recently entered seems to disappear.

Make sure you have the latest version go to Word / Help Check for Updates. It depends on how often Carbonite backs up you can certainly look on your account and see if you can go back to a previous version.