Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I have a Mac iBook G4 notebook with OS X 10.3.9 and would like

Customer Question

I have a Mac iBook G4 notebook with OS X 10.3.9 and would like to upgrade to OS X 10.4.11. I have the DVD OS Disk for OS Tiger 10.4 but my laptop only has the CD-ROM drive. I tried to boot up with an external USB DVD Drive, but the laptop will not boot to the external drive. After booting up the computer with the external DVD drive connected the computer recognizes the OS disk but will not load the OS. Can you help. Bill Reeves
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.
Hello Bill, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

I am the one that can help but it will require another Mac.
The other thing you need to think about is RAM, Tiger likes more RAM than Leopard did so max it out.
The G$ and Leopard did not get the ability to boot from USB, that came later, all is not lost though.
Using a firewire cable and Target mode with another Mac as the host it can be done.
Do you have that equipment or can you get it?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I do have another iBook with OS X 10.4.11 with the fire wire cable.

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.
In that case it will work fine.
Start the iBook with 10.4 while holding the T key down. Insert the install DVD in that iBook.
Now connect the two using the firewire cable so that the iBook in Target mode appears as an external hard drive, the install DVD will also appear.
Now you can proceed to install normally from the install DVD as though it were in the iBook being upgraded.

This does work, I have done it on more that many occasions.
Let me know if you have any problems please.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Ok I will try that and let you know what happens.

Bill Reeves

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.
Should you have questions about it or if I wasn't clear then please ask me and I will break it down.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It is still installing the OS and appears to be installing OK. Will let you know once it finishes and everything is working OK.

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.
I will not know when it finishes, I cannot see it but it will tell you h=when it is done.
It should work just fine, remember to repair permissions after it does and before you start using it.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

After restarting the notebook I updated the software to load the OS X 10.4.11. Can I still repair permissions after restarting the computer and running the software updates?

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.
Yes, it can be done at anutime, I do mine about once a week because I test software.
It is better before updating but after is ok.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Everything seems to be working great. Thanks so much for the help. You are a Mac expert. Bill Reeves

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.
You are welcome Bill, thank you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Daniel...I have another problem with another Mac computer that I need help on. I have a mini mac box with OS X 10.6.8. I set up a new account because I didn't have the PW. It will not let me access the wireless internet via the airport. Can you help.

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.
Try a new location in the network pane.

New Location 10.5-10.6

That PDF explains how.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I tried setting up a new location and it did not work. I have tried so many options I am afraid I may have messed something up.

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.
Ok, does the network appear? What does happen, I mean please tell me what it is you see when trying.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

When I select the wireless network a box pops up for the WEP security code and when I type it in after the scrolling ball stops it goes back to the box asking for the WEP again. The Code works on all my other computers without a problem.

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.
Bill, you can reset the password for the original account if you like. It is easy using the OS X 10.6 install disk.
Boot from the DVD, select Language and on the Welcome screen there will be a menu bar with Utilities.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Then just follow the prompts. After it resets the password restart by quiting the utility and selecting Restart from the Apple menu.

Do not install the OS X, no need.

Try that, it should fix the airport issue and get you back into your data.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Daniel,

I finally got connected to the internet wireless, but now the tested speed of the router is only at the most 0.3 Mbps where other computers are accessing the internet on the same wireless router at 6.0 Mbps 20x faster. Do you know what may be causing the problem. I did change the WAP password from 26 character to 10 character PW when trying to fix the problem.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Daniel,

When I changed the pw for the original account and when logging on, a pop up ask if I want to change the keylink and requires the original pw which I don't have. How can I get around this pop up screen.

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.
Bill, getting around that problem is easy, reset the router to factory settings.
This gives you a blank slate to start from.

I do not know what router you have but if you tell me I will show you how to do this.

One thing I do recommend setting the security to WPA or WPA2 personal, it is much more secure than WEP and is more compatible.
Next I suggest resetting the router, just unplug it from power for a slow count of 10 and plug it back in. This will clear many faults and increase performance for all devices.

This explains some of the differences.

Try that.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Daniel,

I have a DSL Motorola Netopia-3000 model 5347-02