Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Mac Expert, 7+ years of experience in installation and trouble shooting of mac osx and apps
50064670

Im unable to print from iPhoto without my photos being cropped

I'm unable to print from iPhoto without my photos being cropped top & bottom. The advanced mode seems to be frozen - unable to use the slider to shrink the image. Can you help? (I don't have the same problem if I use the hard drive, but since all my photos are in iPhoto, I'd like to be able to use that.)
Jack
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 11 months ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Please check this detailed tutorial. Can't you print by following the steps on this tutorial ? If so let me know on which phase you are facing the problem ?

regards
Jins
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Afraid this doesn't help. My problem is that when I go into "custom" in advanced mode, I'm unable to move the slider - all the options are frozen.

Okay, Trash the com.apple.iPhoto folder from HD/Users/Your Username/Library/ Caches folder. Then trash the com.apple.iPhoto.plist file from the HD/Users/Your username / library / preferences folder. Launch iPhoto and check the result.

Note: Your Library folder may hidden. You can reveal it by following any of these methods.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Can you tell me how to locate HD/Users?YourUsername/Library/Caches folder?

Okay, open the Finder so that the Finder menu is active at the top of your screen. Hold down the Option key and click the Go menu. In the dropdown menu, click the Library folder. Refer the following image.

graphic

Now, you will get open the Library folder. Now find and open the folder named Preferences. Then find and trash the com.apple.iPhoto.plist file.

Now, back to Library folder. Find and open the folder named Cache. Locate the folder named com.apple.iPhoto and trash it.

Open iPhoto and check the result.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

When I go to step 2, the folder is called "Caches", not Cache, & there is no folder com.apple.iPhoto. When I open iPhoto, I can't even access advanced mode now, & pix is still being cropped.

Did you trash the com.apple.iPhoto.plist file ? Sorry, this question should be asked first, Which version of iPhoto you are using ?

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes, we did trash the plist file & the iPhoto is what came with mountain lion.

Please Safe Boot your mac. While in the safe mode open iPhoto and check the result.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Well, I safe booted & nothing changed. Still cropping photos & the advanced mode has disappeared.

Open iPhoto. From the iPhoto menu, choose About iPhoto. A window appears that displays your iPhoto version. Let me know the version.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

iphoto '11 version9.4.1 (701.67)

Okay, I think you are not able to use crop and shrink on iPhoto 11. Actually it is slight different from the old versions of iPhoto.

To crop a photo on iPhoto 11:

1. Select the photo and click the Edit button.

2. If the Quick Fixes tab (at the top of the Edit pane) isn’t selected, click it.

3. Click the Crop button.

Image of photo being cropped
  4. Drag the selection window to enclose the area you want.

5. To crop to specific dimensions, select the Constrain checkbox, and then choose a size from the pop-up menu.

• If you plan to use the photo in an iPhoto book, choose 4 x 3 (Book).

• If you plan to use the photo as your desktop picture, choose Display to fit the photo to your computer screen.

• To crop the photo to custom dimensions, choose Custom from the pop-up menu, and then type the dimensions.

To start over, click Reset.

Note: In the Constrain pop-up menu, the first two dimensions are in pixels; the rest are width-by-length ratios.
  6. Do one of the following:

• To save your changes, click Done.

• To leave crop view without saving your changes, press Escape (Esc).

• To cancel all changes made during this edit session (in any of the Edit panes), click “Revert to Previous.”

Note: If you’ve made only one edit, the button is labeled “Revert to Original.”
Click on the Straighten button to get the slider to adjust the photo's rotation.

Regards
Jins
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience: Mac Expert, 7+ years of experience in installation and trouble shooting of mac osx and apps
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The problem is not how to crop - the problem is that the photos are being cropped top and/or bottom automatically - I don't want them cropped.

Okay, now I got the issue. If the photo is not a standard size iPhoto 11 will crop it when printing to fit standard sizes. To avoid it, in the first print window click customize and right click on the preview and sleect fit to frame for whit space fill.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Looks like that fixes the problem. Thank you.