John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

Hi, I clicked on a site on tumblr, and it must have been hacked.

Hi, I clicked on a site on tumblr, and it must have been hacked. Safari is now only directing me to this one site, and is otherwise completely down. I don't know what to do.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Version 10.7.5

Thanks, Carmen.

It's possible the auto-save functionality within OS X is causing issues for you.

Force Quit Safari if it's running (Apple menu > Force Quit).

Click the Apple logo in the menu bar and choose System Preferences.

Select General

un-check the check box next to “Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps”

Close System Preferences.

Restart your Mac.

NOTE: un-check ‘reopen windows when logging back in’ in the message you see when shutting down or restarting, if offered.

Attempt to open Safari.

If you still have an issue, continue;

Quit the app

Restart your Mac

In the Finder, click to Go menu item in the menu bar.

Hold down the OPTION key on your keyboard and choose Library

In the new Finder window that appears, locate the "Saved Application State" folder and open it.

Locate any folder inside of "Saved Application State" that pertains to Safari and move it to the trash ( the file name is XXXXX XXXXX format of com.vendor.AppName.SavedState, an example for an app like Safari would be com.apple.Safari.SavedState).

Empty your trash.

Now try Safari once more.

If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi John, Thank you for your help.

Unfortunately, I can't click on system preferences or anything else because it is completely disabled. There is a tab open on my screen that says

"Welcome 2 #Basedasia", which I assume is the hacker's site, and there is an "OK" box flashing, which he wants me to click on, and which I'm refusing to do. Everything else is completely disabled.

Carmen

Hi Carmen,

Does the three key combination for Force Quit work? Command-Option-esc

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, it's disabled.

Alright,

Try Command-Control-power button to force the Mac to shutdown.

If that does work, you will have to use a forced power off by simply holding the power button down (probably for at least 30 seconds)...

Once the Mac is shut off, Restart your Mac

As soon as you hear the Startup chime, press and hold the SHIFT key

Continue to hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator.

Then, let go of the Shift key and let it boot to the Desktop (it may take longer than usual so please be patient).

At the desktop, try the earlier procedure;

Select General

Close System Preferences.

Restart your Mac.

Attempt to open Safari.

If you still have an issue, continue;

Quit the app

Restart your Mac

Empty your trash.

Now try Safari once more.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much, John, it worked!! You've been very helpful, and I'm very grateful!

Have a good night,

Carmen

You are very welcome!

I enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again by name at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. You can submit new questions directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

If the current issue has been resolved to your satisfaction, please remember to rate me accordingly when you get a moment.