Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Hi - I had to rebuild my identity on 10/17/13 b/c my Outlook

Hi -
I had to rebuild my identity on 10/17/13 b/c my Outlook was hung up and would not open. I was able to rebuild and everything was fine.
For some reason, when I opened my computer today after shutting down, there was an error with Outlook and the database. It linked back up to my Main Identity (copy created from 10/17/13) and all of my emails & folders between now and today, 10/30/13, are gone.
Any thoughts on what to do to regain the last two weeks worth of work?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Version 10.7.5

Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK did you check your hard drive before you did that? Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Let me know after
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike,

So. I clicked on Verify Disk on the right and it was ok. I then clicked on Repair Permissions. My computer has now restarted and there are two Outlook icons and both of them are completely empty.

? At least before, I had all of my information, folders, calendars, contacts, etc up until 2 weeks ago and today. I was only missing from 10/17 to 10/30 -- what should I do now?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Where are these icons?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

on my toolbar at the bottom

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK right click on each one and go to Options / Remove from Dock. Then go to Applications folder and look for Microsoft Office 2011 folder. Open it and then double click Outlook. When you see the icon in the Dock right click and go to Options / Keep in Dock. Then let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I quit Outlook, one of the icons disappeared. There is now only one in the dock. It is the original Outlook and the one I use.

I rebuilt the database from 10/17/13 successfully. I don't have any of my emails from 10/18 to today, is there a way to retrieve that information?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK but we need to make sure you are using the correct version you must have two somehow. Please delete that one and make sure you are opening the version in the Applications folder
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The only one I have now is in the Microsoft Office folder in my Applications

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK quit all apps, then open Word in that same folder and go to Help / Check for Updates, update as necessary, then let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike - No updates at this time

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK now go to the Apple Logo to Software Update.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

All updates were installed correctly

I think what happened was/is as follows:

Upon opening my computer after shutting down today, Outlook did not open correctly and displayed an error message, prompting me to select an identity to reopen. There were several identities to choose from, and so I let it select the default identity.

When Outlook opened again, it displayed emails and all of my information from 10/17 and prior to, but nothing in the time frame of 10/18 to today.

I need to retrieve the missing information during this time frame of two weeks.

Does this make a little more sense?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes I just needed to get all that out of the way, do you have any backup?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I need to sign off for the evening I was going to suggest quit Outlook then hold Option and open Outlook there should be a list of identities see if one of the others works if you have no backup. Let me know. We can continue tomorrow if you wish
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good news Mike - all sorted. I did exactly what you have written above and selected the Main Identity copy and it was what I was looking for. I must have selected the incorrect identity before. :( Oh well.

Thank you for your help. HAve a good evening.

Many thanks,

Cal

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
GREAT!!!!

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide an OK Rating - or Above. If you are not satisfied, please don't Rate to Finish and Reply to Expert and let me know what I can do to change that. If we solved your problem, giving me high marks on the survey and / or bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.