Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
19897260

Hi, I have a problem with my Safari Browser (MacBook Pro,

Customer Question

I have a problem with my Safari Browser (MacBook Pro, Mac OS Lion) since it was updated the last time (two days ago).
It freezes after opening - from my perspective not related to a specific web-page I try to open.

It help a little bit, when I moved all Internet Plug-Ins into a "Backup" Folder and deleted them in the actual "Library" folder.

Still, performance of Safari is absolutely insufficient and I really would like to have my well-functioning system back...

Thank you very much in advance!
Best regards,
Julia
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
HI Julia, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today!

Lets try two simple steps, which may not fix the issue, but they will definitely bring us closer to fixing the issue.

Open your finder ( magnifying glass ) type in disk utility, and launch the disk utility application.

On the left side of the disk utility window, click your mac hd, then at the lower right hand side, click repair permissions .

Once that is

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Once that is complete, lets reset safari next.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph11914

Lets make sure to check every option available, for good measure..

Once safari has been reset, lets restart your mac and see if safari responds any better now..

If it doesnt, please send a reply and you and I can continue to work on this issue together.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent below when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dustin,

I followed your instructions already twice - and Safari still freezes after 3 to 5 clicks.

I cannot identify a specific thing I do to bring to stop working - it just is not very reactive overall and then it stops to react at all.

I can just end via using the menu in a different program and use the "end immediately" command.

When I shut down the computer and re-start, Safari can be re-opened, still it freezes again very quickly.

What should I try next?

Do you need any further details from me?

Thanks for your help,

looking forward to your reply!

Cheers,

Julia

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
This isnt a fix, but its a test.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1455

Does safari work any better in safe mode..?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dustin,

Yes - it worked better.

And I found that the Safari under Safemode does not show the line "About Glims" (underneath the "About Safari") in the drop-down Menu.

As there was an update of Glims almost at the same time as the Safari-Update - and afterwards all the "trouble" started, I suspect the Glims Add-on to be responsible for kind of a negative interference...

What do you think - what can I do?

I will try whatever you suggest tomorrow evening - now, I have go to bed, it is already 22.22PM here.

Thank you very much,

talk to you tomorrow,

cheers,

Julia

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information Julia, thats bery helpful.

At this point I think our best bet is to uninstall Glims.

http://www.machangout.com/node/9

That page contains the uninstaller program.. Downlaod teh program, then open the file.. and then run the uninstaller.

That should remove glims.. Once removed, restart your computer and see if safari will run better in safe mode.

I realize that y ou probably wont try these steps until the morning, so I will watch for your replies tommorow in case you need further assistance.

Dustin S.

Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dustin,

yeah - it worked, I uninstalled (and even re-installed again already) the Glims and Safari works fine again.

I also tried to rate you just a minute ago - it did not work... I will try again and otherwise need support here.

I got the message that I did not have permission to access the page?

In any case - thanks a lot for your very fast and helpful responses!!

I will for sure use this platform again for my next Mac question I might have...

Very best regards from Germany,

Julia

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your kind words Julia.

And Im happy that our first attempts at resolving the issue worked. ( and I see that you jumped ahead a bit on your own, to reinstall Glims.. )

Thank you for taking the time to ensure a rating was penciled in for this, as without a rating we receive no credit at all, and worse then that. An absence of a rating shows as a negative mark on our history!

In the future if you wanted to request me personally you could do so by using the link below.

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-technicalsupport/

You would start the question by typing in the box under my profile picture " For D.Sandlin only " and then detailing as best you could the issue you were having.

Thank you again for asking your question here, and I hope you have a great weekend.

Dustin S.