Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Mac OS 10.7.5. Why is it that when I open a finder window and

Mac OS 10.7.5. Why is it that when I open a finder window and do a search for a file name that it can't seem to locate the file. But in that same window I can turn down the triangle on one of the folders and it shows the file I was looking for?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You may need to reset your Spotlight index. Go to System Preferences / Spotlight choose the Privacy tab then drag Macintosh HD to that window:

graphic

Click “OK” when asked to confirm

Now select the drive(s) you just added and click the “-” minus button to remove it from the list

graphic

Spotlight will immediately begin to reindex the drive(s) you added and then removed from the Privacy list. How long it takes to reindex the drive varies, ranging from 30 minutes to several hours, depending on the speed of the drive and it’s contents. At any point, you can pull down the Spotlight menu and check the progress:

graphic

It may be slow until that is finished
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's indexing now . . .

I work at an office where I have about 6 servers mounted that I use constantly. Should I use the same procedure on the aliases of those servers?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
That depends what kind of servers are they?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have no idea.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Well then no I would not do that.... if they are Windows servers they could get messed up.
Mike, Mac Medic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. I won't do that then. Spotlight finished indexing, but I just realized the drive I was searching was one of the servers. Oh well, at least my computer is up-to-date. Thanks for the help.