Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.

Running OS 10.6.8. Suddenly cant upload digital photos into

Customer Question

Running OS 10.6.8. Suddenly can't upload digital photos into IPhoto v. 9.2.3. Get message: "Photo Library needs to be upgraded to work with this version of IPhoto." I push UPGRADE. New message: "Can't open photo library using this version of IPhoto." Now I'm supposed to upgrade IPhoto. To what v9.5 requires OS 10.9. I want to stay with OS10.6.8 and be happy the way things were.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

Michelle :

Hi, and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

From what you are describing, it sounds like you need to perform software updates. Click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and click on software updates. What updates are available?

Customer:

ITunes

Customer:

Remote Desktop Client Update

Michelle :

Okay those two do not pertain to your issue. We will then need to delete iPhoto and then re-install

Michelle :

this will not delete your photos, just the application

Customer:

3rd one was Migration Assistant Update for Snow . . .

Michelle :

You will need to run your updates eventually, but non of them relate to iPhoto. Open your finder window and then click on Applications in the left column

Customer:

How do I reinstall IPhoto?

Michelle :

iPhoto is in the App store, you will need to delete iPhoto first.
1. Open finder (click on the happy face icon)
2. Choose Application in the left column
3. Locate iPhoto and trash it
4. Open App store application and search for iPhoto

Michelle :

Were you able to locate the iPhoto app within the applications folder?

Customer:

I'm out of time until about 6pm EDT. Can we continue then?

Michelle :

Sure. I will post detailed instructions for you to follow again

Michelle :

To resolve your issue with iPhoto, you will need to delete iPhoto and then re-install it. Follow these detailed instructions and let me know how it goes when you get back.

1. Open Finder (Click on the happy face icon in the dock)

2. Click on Applications folder in the left column

3. Locate iPhoto and drag it into the trash

4. Also, drag the iPhoto application from the Dock (If it is there)

5. Within the Applications folder, locate and open App Store

6. Type in iPhoto in the search field in the upper right corner and hit enter

7. Next to iPhoto, you will see “Install”

8. Click on Install

The install should take about 10 mins

After the install is complete, open iPhoto From the application folder
It will then prompt you to upgrade (This time it will upgrade)

Please let me know if you run into any issues with any of the above steps

Customer:

Do I pay for the iPhoto to install?

Michelle :

No, there should not be a price next to it, it should just say install

Michelle :

Is there a price showing?

Michelle :

If there is, you can still download iPhoto from the install disk, do you have those disks handy?

Michelle :

Since you upgraded to iPhoto v9, you will ether need to upgrade to 10.9 (Free upgrade) or re-install iphoto from the install disk.

Customer:

I have been using iPhoto v9.2.3 without any problem. Why would I need to upgrade to OS 10.9? My iPhoto is not v9.5.

Michelle :

Oh ok, you in your original question, it stated you are using iPhoto v9

Customer:

Do I understand that my photo library remains intact if I trash iPhoto?

Michelle :

Yes, the iphoto library is intact

Michelle :

Trashing iphoto just deletes the application and not your photos

Customer:

We went through that. There were 3 and you said they are not involved with my problem.

Michelle :

I was referring to the information you listed in your question. " Suddenly can't upload digital photos into IPhoto v. 9.2.3." No worries, we can move on to re-installing iphoto. In the App store next to iphoto, does it say install, or does it list a price.

Customer:

I'll start your procedure and see.

Michelle :

Ok, I will stand by. Let me know when iphoto is done installing. It should take about 15 mins to install

Customer:

It says $14.99, not Install.

Michelle :

Ok then do not install. Do you still have your 10.6 install disk

Customer:

No, don't think I ever used one. Just downloaded.

Michelle :

That is fine, Go ahead and take iphoto from the trash and place it back into the applications folder

Customer:

I've got an iLife install disk, but I think its iPhoto is only an upgrade.

Michelle :

Can you load it to your computer

Customer:

Yes

Michelle :

What are your options?

Customer:

Don't dig you

Michelle :

When you load the iLife disk, what are your options on the screen

Customer:

I think they are iPhoto, iMovie iWeb, GarageBand, and iDVD

Michelle :

Good. Choose iPhoto

Michelle :

After selecting iphoto, what are your next options?

Customer:

Couldn't select, so installing whole thing

Michelle :

That what I was hoping it will direct you to

Customer:

16 min. to go

Michelle :

When it is done, you will still need to update it back using software updates

Customer:

now 22 min.

Michelle :

And the old one is still in the trash correct?

Customer:

Now 33 min. Old one is still in trash

Customer:

Now 45 min. this is ridiculous

Michelle :

It should give you a more accurate time after scanning files.

Customer:

It's writing files. Now 1 hr. and 30 min. Do we have to do this?

Michelle :

We can defiantly try a different route. Drag iphoto back into the applications folder

Michelle :

Let me know when iphoto is back so we can move on to the next step. You can also stop the installation by the way

Customer:

It's back in apps folder

Michelle :

Now in the left column, choose your home folder (Accounts folder)

Customer:

OK

Michelle :

Click on the Library folder

Michelle :

Within the library folder, choose the preference folder. Locate and delete com.apple.iPhoto.plist

Customer:

It's in the trash

Michelle :

Now open iphoto from the applications folder. When it prompts you to upgrade, choose upgrade

Customer:

Don't find upgrade prompt. Says "Import 3 photos" which are the ones that started this mess.

Michelle :

Are those imports necessary? Where did those imports come from?

Customer:

They are photos I took today with my digital camera and followed normal procedure to put them in iPhoto. At that point I got the messages I reported at the beginning of my problem description.

Michelle :

Right now, choose not to import. Then attempt to import again

Michelle :

Make sure you quit iphoto and then re-open it

Customer:

The 3 photos imported in normal fashion.

Michelle :

Ok now can you please quit iphoto and then re-open

Customer:

Done

Michelle :

Does it open normally

Customer:

Yes

Michelle :

Yay! Im sooo sorry I did not have you try this earlier

Michelle :

You can also move iphoto back to the dock

Customer:

Already did that. Ain't I smart!

Michelle :

Ha ha Yes you are... Was there anything els I can assist you with ?

Customer:

Don't think so, unless partial installation of iLife left some problem behind it.

Michelle :

No, it did not even initiate the install so you are fine :) you can eject the disk

Customer:

OK. Thanks for everything.

Michelle :

You are very welcome. I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX patience

Customer:

And I yours. Goodnight (at least on our time).

Michelle :

Good Night to you too :)

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I am running Snow Leopard (OS 10.6.8) and don't wish to upgrade to any version of Lion. I am using iPhoto 9.2.3. When I try to load digital pictures into iPhoto I am told that the photo library needs to be upgraded. When I upgrade the photo library I am told my iPhoto needs to be upgraded. I think that means to iPhoto 9.5, which requires a higher OS-X. Why I am suddenly put in this position, I have no idea.

Expert:  Michelle replied 8 months ago.
Good Evening,

Your issue may not be related to the need to upgrade since we got it working a few days ago. Instead lets rebuild your library. Follow these instruction
1. Close iPhoto if it is open
2. Open finder, click on photos in the left column (You can also get to photos by clicking on your account name and choosing photos from there)
3. Locate your iPhoto Library (Not the application)
4. Right click on your iphoto library and choose "Show Package Contents" (You can also press and hold the control key and then click on the iphoto Library)
5. Within the Package content, see if there is an import folder listed. If there is, drag it to the desktop. If not thats fine too
6. Next, Press and hold both Command+Option keys at the same time and then Click to open iPhoto
7. If done correctly, a box will pop up with options
8. Choose "Rebuild Database" which should be the last option
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Michelle,

It is now almost bedtime Nov. 1 and I have gone through the last steps of your instruction of yesterday and things once again seem to be in good shape. I was here yesterday and then things retrogressed. I hope that won't be the case today and tomorrow. I'm going to close shop now and check for good luck in the morning.

"Customer"

Expert:  Michelle replied 8 months ago.
Have a wonderful night! Please do not hesitate to reach back out if you have any ongoing issues .