Jason
Jason, Mac Technician
Experience:  Several years of supporting Mac systems.

A couple of weeks ago I asked a just answer person for help

A couple of weeks ago I asked a just answer person for help in blocking a site on my iMac desktop and then by mistake every website was blocked. I took my computer to the apple store and they did something to it and told me to just type in "test" and then click on "return" when that happened again. Well, I'm back to square one again. Many of the websites on that computer are blocked again....not all though.

My iMac is an OSX, version 10.8.3.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question today. My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

I see that you have been working on this problem for quite a bit of time.

Do you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem? I will send a remote link within minutes after your response, so please keep refreshing the page. No extra charge.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yes, that would be fine....except I open an internet window on that computer.

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.
Thank you.

Please, let me know when you are ready on that computer.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Can't do it. I get a message that says: "The connection was reset. The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading. The site could be teporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments. If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection. If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web." I don't know anything about a firewall. I can get a few websites but not yahoo. I tried with both firefox and safari. I also have a gmail account but I can't access that either on the other computer.

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Please, try this option.

- Please, click the following link, download that file, and run the file: https://secure.join.me/Download.aspx?webdownload=true
- Then download and allow that remote app to run.
- Once it is finished, please, tell me the 9 digit number that appears on the top of your screen.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Sorry to be so high maintenance, but I typed in that address and got the same message. Do you think if I checked out the firewall that that would help? I don't know how to access the firewall. You'd need to direct me on that.

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.
Please, do the following:
- Click the Apple icon on the top left
- Click System Preferences
- Click Security
- Click the Firewall tab

There you can turn the firewall off and try again.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Did all that and then tried to get onto yahoo through both safari and firefox. Neither works. The safari message says "Safari can't open the page "www.yahoo.com" because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection. This sometimes occurs when the server is busy. Wait for a few minutes, and then try again."

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Please, do the following:
- Click the Apple icon on the top left
- Click System Preferences
- Click Parental Controls
- Choose to Disable Parental controls

After that is complete, please, test the site again and see if that helped.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I unchecked everything under parental controls, but still nothing. Neither firefox nor safari work.

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.
Did you totally disable Parental Controls?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I just re-checked, and everything seems to be enabled under parental controls. I had originally asked the justanswer guy to help me disable spider solitaire, because I'm addicted to it. Well, that sure blew up in my face because now I can use only a few websites. For some reason I can go to www.lwvdelaware-newcastlecounty.org

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Thank you.

Please, click the following link and allow the remote app to run: http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=59dab566-b7a0-4f9b-914c-d7ec47328a47

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I'm on.

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

I look forward to your next message or your rating below.

To rate me, you can click one of the faces below and click Submit/Ok or click the Accept button.

If you ever wish to work with me in the future, you can ask your new questions and have them sent to me directly at the following page: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-computertechmaster/

Thank you again,
- Jason

Jason, Mac Technician
Experience: Several years of supporting Mac systems.