Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Locked by Customer Service

I cannot install an update for my iMac I bought last December because I do not know the administrator name for it when the Mac was set up. A friend did it and he doesn't know the name, either. Please help.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't know; it was new one bought in December; the thin one.

Wayne, We can reset the administrator password XXXXX logging into the Mac OS X Recovery. Please follow the steps below to reset the password

• Turn off your Mac.
  • Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R key at same time
  • This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu
  • Click on the “Utilities” menu in the top and select “Terminal"
  • Type(without space) resetpassword
  • Confirm the user account and then the password XXXXX and reboot your Mac

After restarting, if your asks for Keychain password XXXXX please let me know and we can fix that too.

Best Regards,

Wayne, Add a bookmark of this page before restarting so we won't lose our connection.

Best Regards,
Hi Wayne, Just checking. How is it going ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Followed instructions, got as far as Terminal but no response after typing "resetpassword."

There is no dot after resetpassword XXXXX also no quotes. Can you try again ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I typed resetpassword XXXXX told. dot and quote marks just to tell u what happened, to complete a sentence. This is frustrating to say the least.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Typed resetpassword. Above was FYI to tell you what happened.

Wayne, you put the dot inside the quotes.

Ok Restart your Mac. Click on Apple icon and select About This Mac. What is the exact version number in there ?
This might sound silly, but did you press return key after entering resetpassword ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Think so. Anyway version is 10.8.5

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Think I hit return. Version is 10.8.5

That code is supposed to work on 10.8.5

Boot into Mac OS X Utilities again, then open Disk Utility in there. Select your hard disk in the left column. Then under First Aid, click Repair Permission. Then click Verify Disk and then Repair Disk if asked. Then close Disk Utility, open Terminal in there. Type resetpassword and hit return. Does it bring the window to reset the password ?

If that didn't work, then we can try a different way to reset the password.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm got going there. I'll pursue another line of inquiry locally. I don't want to screw up my Max with some stupid mistake. Thx for your patience.

Trust me Wayne. It won't mess up your Mac. Don't give up soon. Try again. Refer this article :
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nope. Got to go. Take care.

Ok Wayne. If you are not satisfied with my service or want refund, please don't rate me Bad in here or in the survey you get. You can contact [email protected] for refund. Remember, I've no control over your account, so you can ask them to refund your account.

Have a great day,