Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Locked by Customer Service

Customer Question

I cannot install an update for my iMac I bought last December because I do not know the administrator name for it when the Mac was set up. A friend did it and he doesn't know the name, either. Please help.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX X look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I don't know; it was new one bought in December; the thin one.

Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.
Wayne, We can reset the administrator password XXXXX logging into the Mac OS X Recovery. Please follow the steps below to reset the password

• Turn off your Mac.
  • Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R key at same time
  • This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu
  • Click on the “Utilities” menu in the top and select “Terminal"
  • Type(without space) resetpassword
  • Confirm the user account and then the password XXXXX and reboot your Mac

After restarting, if your asks for Keychain password XXXXX please let me know and we can fix that too.

Best Regards,

Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.
Wayne, Add a bookmark of this page before restarting so we won't lose our connection.

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.
Hi Wayne, Just checking. How is it going ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Followed instructions, got as far as Terminal but no response after typing "resetpassword."

Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.
There is no dot after resetpassword XXXXX also no quotes. Can you try again ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I typed resetpassword XXXXX told. dot and quote marks just to tell u what happened, to complete a sentence. This is frustrating to say the least.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Typed resetpassword. Above was FYI to tell you what happened.

Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.
Wayne, you put the dot inside the quotes.

Ok Restart your Mac. Click on Apple icon and select About This Mac. What is the exact version number in there ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.
This might sound silly, but did you press return key after entering resetpassword ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Think so. Anyway version is 10.8.5

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Think I hit return. Version is 10.8.5

Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.
That code is supposed to work on 10.8.5

Boot into Mac OS X Utilities again, then open Disk Utility in there. Select your hard disk in the left column. Then under First Aid, click Repair Permission. Then click Verify Disk and then Repair Disk if asked. Then close Disk Utility, open Terminal in there. Type resetpassword and hit return. Does it bring the window to reset the password ?

If that didn't work, then we can try a different way to reset the password.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I'm got going there. I'll pursue another line of inquiry locally. I don't want to screw up my Max with some stupid mistake. Thx for your patience.

Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.
Trust me Wayne. It won't mess up your Mac. Don't give up soon. Try again. Refer this article : http://www.coolestguidesontheplanet.com/reset-forgotten-admin-password-osx-10-8-mountain-lion/
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Nope. Got to go. Take care.

Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.
Ok Wayne. If you are not satisfied with my service or want refund, please don't rate me Bad in here or in the survey you get. You can contact support@justanswer.com for refund. Remember, I've no control over your account, so you can ask them to refund your account.

Have a great day,