Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of computer experience, CISCO certified
30970729

Trying to get my installed airport to work. Message says airport

Trying to get my installed airport to work. Message says airport is turned on but is not connected to the internet. Connect my desktop Mac to ethernet and used to be able to use the WiFi with my iPhone S but upgraded the iPhone and the Wifi got bamboozeld.
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

Please try the following on your Mac Desktop:
1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences.
2. Choose View > Network.
3. Choose Built-in Ethernet from the Show pop-up menu.
4. Click the PPPoE tab.
5. Click the PPPoE Options button.
6. Deselect the "Connect automatically when needed" option.
7. Click OK.
8. Click Apply Now.

Let me know if that helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry Pete, that did not work. I am on a iMac running OS X 10.6.8. My ethernet is connected to a cable modem and the pop-up menu says using DHCP. Went to advanced but there was no PPPoE Option. My ether net works fine but when I go to the Airport screen it says Airport is on but not connected to a network. Cannot fine a network for the life of me! If I go to Airport in preferences and go to TCP/IP, it has Configure IPv4(using DCHP) and Configure IPv6 (Automatically), it makes no difference if I turn them off or on. I need to figure out where the network is!

.

Hi Joslynne,

Who is your cable provider?

Did you install the AirPort yourself?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Comcast cable since 2001

Airport was installed on my computer when I bought it. It worked until last week when I plugged in my iPhone to upgrade to 7

Hi Joslynne,

Many other users are having the same problem after updating their iPhone to iOS7, where their iPhone is unable to connect to wifi again.

Try the following on your iPhone:

1. Turned off Airplane Mode (if on)
2. Turn Cellular Data off

3. Go to General, Reset, Reset Network Settings

4. Try connecting the phone to wifi again.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry Pete, cannot access personal emails at work. I tried that but it did not work. I need to know how to get airport on my computer to access my network on my computer. I can get other peoples networks (which are locked) but I cannot get my iPhone to pick up airport on my computer. My location used to be Joslynne Davidson's iMac but when I go there the airport icon on the computer shows a little square with 3 dots (like a an old tv) and my I phone says this location is not connected to the internet. Sorry Pete just about given up here..

.

Hi Joslynne,

It sounds like the auto-connect needs to be restored for your AirPort:

1. To restore the auto-connect feature, go to System Preferences.

2. Then select the Network pane.
  3. From the "Show:" drop-down menu, choose "AirPort".
  4. Make sure the "By default, join:" pop-up menu is set to "Preferred networks." (If it was set to "Automatic networks", you can set it back to Automatic after the next step.)
  5. Select any network that shows WPA2 security and use the minus (-) button to remove those networks from the list.
  6. Once all WPA2 networks have been removed from the list, use the plus (+) button to add them back.
  7. If in step 3, your default was Automatic rather than Preferred, go ahead and change your default back to Automatic.

Now try connecting to AirPort again...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Pete but I actually fixed it earlier today after my last answer to you. I went to my back up HD and found my preferences from last August. From there went to my internet sharing in preferences. I shut off airport, then changed the sharing 'from computer' to Ethernet and then checked 'computers to' to Bluetooth and Airport. I then turned airport on-ignoring the warning that I would destroy my network if I changed it. This worked. Thank you for your time. I know you worked hard on this. t

Hi Joslynne,

Glad to hear you got it working again! That must be a great relief!

Best wishes,

Pete.